It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests. And why that ain't likely to change anytime soon.

+63 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Written by an "educated liberal" on how it is wrong for "white (heartland) Americans" to look out for their own interests.

More grasping for straws. More generalizations. More of the same... Yawn.
edit on 8-3-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I don't live in the part of the country this article is referring to, but the culture is the same. I found it ironic that while reading this I was listening to a group of people one table over in this coffee shop talking to each other about how God has blessed and favors certain people in the world, and the rest are condemned. The blessing went along racial/religious lines.

In the town I used to live in, I could walk down any street in the town on any day of the week and hear Obama called an n-word. This is an area where the demographics are over 98% white, and they literally run non whites out of town.

It's an area of low earnings, a lack of education, and a culture that stresses to not listen to what you "learn" in college because it's all lies that you're fed.

I've also noticed a lot of this culture on ATS. There's a huge contingent of people here who stress education, but at the same time brag about how they'll do things like never hire a person who went to college and how the only learning one should ever do is how to perform a trade.
edit on 8-3-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

As someone who was also born and raised in the rural south, I would suggest that a major reason why people vote the way they do is because of the arrogant, condescending nature displayed in the idea that they're 'voting against their self-interests,' as if they can't decide that for themselves.
edit on 8-3-2017 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

Written by an "educated liberal" on how it is wrong for "white (heartland) Americans" to look out for their own interests.

Perpetuating a culture of ignorance that prevents you from actually understanding how the world works in exchange for being told things you already agree with, isn't looking out for your own interests.

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It's always nice to have somebody volunteer to step up and confirm the central thesis. Thanks to you and all those who star you.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Personally, I thank God for the mid American, Religious Right and their naivete. I make an obscene amount of money selling them "dreams".... They know it but are powerless to say "NO"
edit on 8-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Well, I read over half the article you posted before I just had to skim to the end...OMG if this isn't the most self serving piece of liberal trash I have ever read it is close. I imagine this was penned for the intended audience, the superior intellects of the coastal elite. I posted the following a month or so ago and would suggest you read, you could use a little context.

Since 2010 Democrats have lost 1200 national and statewide seats and are now almost exclusively a coastal party, with a couple of lone interior outposts such as Chicago and Minneapolis. Hillary Clinton beat Trump in California, New York and Massachusetts by 30%, Trump won the rest of the states by 52-48%. Thirty-two state legislatures are in Republican hands, while only five states have Democrats controlling both houses of the legislature and the governor’s mansion, in 2018 the Democrats must defend 10 U.S. Senate seats in states that Trump won…..doesn’t look too promising.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

In my ultra liberal University (With Black Lives Matter folks and other regressive leftists), I had a professor who although is not a conspiracy theorist (Believes in Global Warming etc.) and is not a Trump supporter (He called Trump a man baby), admitted that the Liberal Coastal Elite is just as dangerous and that they have dominated academia.

He also acknowledge that New York Times has left wing bias, the problem of political correctness and that the Liberal Coastal Elite seem portray White working class Americans in a negative way.

However, he only express his views to me and one other person because he'll lose his job he mentioned this.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

It's always nice to have somebody volunteer to step up and confirm the central thesis. Thanks to you and all those who star you.

It's a self defense mechanism. No one wants to entertain the ideal that they're a tool.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Just want to add that the Religious fundamental right is not one and the same with the conservative right.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I would like to offer an article as a counter-point to your premise, it's a very entertaining "Brief History of the Redneck":

takimag.com...
edit on 8-3-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

Just want to add that the Religious fundamental right is not one and the same with the conservative right.

That's partially true but without the demographic merger of those two, the Republican party would cease to exist. They need each other and feed from the same ideological trough.
edit on 8-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+38 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

...because the author of the piece knows he's spouting elitist horsesnip, he "predicted" his opinion would be called elitist horsesnip... that doesn't confirm any central thesis, it merely serves as a premeditated deflection away from inconvenient criticisms against a ridiculously myopic and elitist worldview. He may as well have said "The problem with rural America is that they're not urban America and won't embrace values that only matter to we urbanites and our Kept Voter subsections." We get it, really we all do... elitists in America's major population centers look down their noses at the dumb rednecks who are too stupid to blindly think the way those elitist assholes want us to think. You can try to paint over that statement all you wish, but that's EXACTLY what the author is saying here.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki
It's a self defense mechanism. No one wants to entertain the ideal that they're a tool.

"You're a tool for letting that group tell you how you're supposed to think! Why won't you think the way my group thinks?"

Two sides, same coin, myopic and hypocritical BS for all.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Johnny, thanks for sharing that article. Actually, that mentality applies to huge swaths of people all over America. I was amazed at how many born-again Christians supported Obama, even though is was PRO-Abortion. The "rigidity" described in that article applies to probably 90% of America.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Rigid, yes but dark?

You find more darkness and lack of morals in urban areas than in the heartland. It's all about perspective.

I have seen more people coming from big cities loving the countrylife, than otherwise.
edit on 8-3-17 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests. And why that ain't likely to change anytime soon.

It's interesting to me how poor people are always cast as victims, unless they're rural white people. Those people are endlessly demonized.

Have you ever considered that you're the tools? You seem to be convinced that your cult's way of doing things is the only way. I watch the so called enlightened of your ideology organize a women's march, then pray to allah and put on hajibs. Seems pretty toolish to me.
edit on 8-3-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

"You're a tool for letting that group tell you how you're supposed to think! Why won't you think the way my group thinks?"

Two sides, same coin, myopic and hypocritical BS for all.

Nah, I didn't mention any 'sides', nice try though.

I don't have a 'group' because it's difficult to group those that don't view everything as strictly black or white.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

What's my ideology? Can we establish that before we start pulling random # out our asses?

Edit: Isn't it amazing that you've been conditioned to believe that everyone that doesn't share your opinion is 'the other ideology'?
Oh how I wonder where you got that ideal from...
edit on 8-3-2017 by Tsubaki because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join