It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing 797

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
United Airlines has seen what will probably be dubbed the Boeing 797, and is rather interested in what they see. The plan, as it is now, is to introduce the aircraft in 2025. It will be designed to seat 225-260 passengers, with transatlantic range. United has been skeptical of the design, but after getting a briefing on it has become convinced that it is perfect for them.

Boeing apparently envisions two new designs, to replace the 757 and 767. One will be smaller, with more range, the other larger. United has been studying the A321neo as a possible 757 replacement. They said that it can do 90-95% of what they need, but the only 767 replacement is too big for their needs. The Chief Executive of Air Lease Corp says that it's possible they will start offering the new aircraft this year.

United Airlines has taken a close look at an all-new jetliner that Boeing Co. engineers are developing for trans-Atlantic flying, and likes what it sees.

“What we’ve seen so far is very, very interesting to us,” Andrew Levy, United’s chief financial officer, said in an interview Tuesday. “We certainly hope Boeing launches the airplane. We think there is a need for it.”

An endorsement from United, a large Boeing customer, would go a long way toward making the business case for so-called middle-of-market jetliners. Boeing has honed its design to seat between 225 and 260 passengers, while working to bring production costs in line with prices that airlines are willing to pay.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a decision to offer by this year,” John Plueger, chief executive officer and co-founder of Air Lease Corp., said of the first step in Boeing’s process to formally introduce a new jetliner. “That might be a bit early, a bit aggressive. But that would not surprise me.”

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

n o picture in the report...You would think with all the quite boom tech and the new engines available they would be going for high speed airliners.

I think Air Bus has a concept where there are no windows, but the whole cabin is a display so its like a glass cabin.

i want high speed high altitude glass cabins.

whenever i fly commercial it's so hard to justify spending the extra cash for seat upgrades. but if it was a Mach 1+ high altitude airliner i would pony up.

i was to young to ever fly in the concord, but i remember when it went over our school and we heard a sonic boom. very cool

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

This is the most current 797 rendering...

-Chris

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

There won't be a rendering until they're ready to offer it. As for high speed, they're a long way away from that point. They haven't even flown scale models yet.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

They're not there yet. They can do high speed transport at reduced noise levels and the can do economical with high efficiency but not both yet. The Airlines are going to be all about efficiency and reducing fuel consumption. The new airliners will look like an evolution of or mini 787's.
edit on 8-3-2017 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Is this what you're talking about?

conworld.wikia.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

No. That doesn't exist. This is going to be a more normal tube design, probably something similar to the 787.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I like the concept of going with the wide body for transatlantic flights as the thought of spending 9-10 hours in a narrow body Airbus is dreadful. Hopefully they all get the Polaris seats right out of the box.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Call me the weirdo then. All else being equal (seat pitch, width, etc) I would much, much rather fly long distance on a single aisle airliner than a widebody. Hell is getting stuck in the middle of a 5-abreast center section, and I'd much rather feel like I'm flying in an airliner than in a flying movie theater the way the 777 so often feels.

To this day, my favorite way to cross the Atlantic is on Icelandair's 757 fleet. That aircraft is the perfect blend of large and small in a way that only the 707 and DC-8 could match.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I call you a sick individual. The last time i flew a 757 I had to spend most of the flight with one arm jammed into my side because the seats were so tight.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby
Call me the weirdo then. All else being equal (seat pitch, width, etc) I would much, much rather fly long distance on a single aisle airliner than a widebody. Hell is getting stuck in the middle of a 5-abreast center section, and I'd much rather feel like I'm flying in an airliner than in a flying movie theater the way the 777 so often feels.

United's new Polaris seats are seat up 1-2-1 in the 777 so you certainly would not get an aisle seat in the 757/767 replacement. There is no way I am flying transoceanic in the middle.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No reason to leave the Americas anyway.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bra1nwash
No reason to leave the Americas anyway.

Is that so? What about work?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I always go for the window seat. I love how drafty it gets on Icelandair on those arctic nights. I'm convinced they skimped on the insulation to save money/weight for ETOPS operations.

Actually though, my favorite aircraft to fly in, period, is the E195. 4-abreast in seats as wide as the ones on a 777 with JetBlue legroom is the closest I'll ever get to flying in a private aircraft.
edit on 8-3-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It said Jessie Ventura was secretary of defense....in the artists taking license to embellish on the new one ....

Hey though.......when they start rolling out at Payne.....they just gotta start taking off somewhere else......scares me, men......am I a baby?....that North end with the divided blvd. right there underneath sorta.....then neighborhoods solid past that.

Can't move Payne, huh!

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby

I always go for the window seat. I love how drafty it gets on Icelandair on those arctic nights. I'm convinced they skimped on the insulation to save money/weight for ETOPS operations.

Actually though, my favorite aircraft to fly in, period, is the E195. 4-abreast in seats as wide as the ones on a 777 with JetBlue legroom is the closest I'll ever get to flying in a private aircraft.

You forgot the C130 and the COD. Lounging on the mail sacks in a C130 while enjoying the whine of the turboprops is a luxury cruise and the excitement of a trap in the COD will just bring you up short.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Landing in the boom pod of a KC-135.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Landing in the boom pod of a KC-135.

Bouncy. Did you have padding?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

The boom operator benches.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The boom operator benches.

Pure luxury.

The local ANG practices touch-and-go's with the KC-135T's. I hope the boom operator is drinking coffee forward and doesn't have to get bounced around in the tail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join