It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Should Have 817 Happy Birthday Threads per Day (on Average)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Its something friends can choose to do for each other. You have the freedom to make almost any thread you want. You also have the fredom to, as some have chosen to do, invest the time and effort necessary to develop a closer and more meaningful relationship with others who are willing to reciprocate.

I personally hardly ever interact with others conversationaly on this site to an extent of more than just one reply. If people reply to a post i made, i usually will never see that since i almost never return to a thread after ive posted. I do reply to pretty much all PMs out of courtesy.

And I know if I really wanted to, I could form or become a part of a group of buddies and high five eachother and do bday threads and maybe real life meetups, lots of PMs I imagine, and all sorts of extra side interactions, like wall activity, avatar suggestion/creation, discussion of real life personal issues, meeting on other sites, etc; to enhance and accessorize my ATS experience, and it would probably be fun, but that's just not what im here for.

And I'm not saying anyone else came here and said "Alright! Time to Clique UP". Some people are just more social in certain situations, and some people just make natural friends with eachother without either person planning it that way. And then there are some people who just seem to make friends wherever they go, and that's actually a little like me in real life, but just extremely rarely online.

It's all just a matter of how one chooses to allot their time and energy in different ways. I spend way to much time reading on ats and my occassional post is always monstrous in size.No time for socializing here for me. i get my social needs taken care of by other means. Other people may have a busy or chaotic schedule/life and an online social life is easiest, or may be all that's feasible for indefinite periods, or they just prefer this medium, or they divide their social life across a wide array of modes and formats.

The fact thst other individuals choose to take the liberty of exercizing their freedom in this way doesn't bother me in the least. In fact sometimes I might even get a chuckle at watching some of the humorous or playful interactions between these members. Sometimes it can be less than pleasing, but it's not everyone's job to make sure that I'm pleased 24/7, and same goes with you.

I'm actually in a state of disbelief that you would chose to make a thread like this. That's why I replied, my curiosity is piqued. Are you thinking there should be a rule against these threads on the basis that someone may get their feelings hurt? Because they were left out? Or are you more thinking that it shouldn't be a rule officially, but you want people to voluntarily stop this tradition? Or you don't really want anything to necessarily be done about it but you are just pointing out how shocked you are that people could be so inconsiderate, rude, elitist, cliquish, non-inclusive?

It kind of seems like you want everyone to walk on eggshells to make sure they don't accidentally offend somebody. You can't even wish a friend happy birthday anymore or throw them a bday party/thread? Then why the hell don't I see you out here every day volunteering your time to make a thread once per day with a message saying " happy bday/anniversary/etc to whomever it may concern on this day?"

Then everyone would be technically covered, AND those who want to add any additional personalized bday thread parties for their friends may continue to do so, with the daily generic thread as the default party thread for whoever has a special event for that day. I mean, i think its a little ridiculous personally, but, I also think it's a much better solution than eliminating ALL celebratory threads. And that should be a workable compromise to address your concerns...?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Also, it helps if she knows it's somebody's birthday.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Also, it helps if she knows it's somebody's birthday.

Your assuming its a she , well no , we all know who this is aimed at and it is a disgrace , second time in as many weeks . You dont like a topic dont open it up , its not rocket science .

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

If you mean a waste of electrons and time for the uncaring among us, then I agree.

I have a birthday every year and I wouldn't dream of telling hordes of strangers and virtual acquaintances on the internet people when it was.

Actually, my birthdays are getting into a short supply, but even in the logical event that my birthdays terminate, I would not want it broadcast that i was missing in action. 'Best to just to quietly slip away and keep them guessing about acidic attacks that never come again.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Doesn't like people being nice to each other.

Creates threads complaining about poor personal relationships.

Irony not lost on membership.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Another rant...why should we take you seriously when you write this...

"Is it possible to make accurate psychological diagnoses based on forum posts?"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have good reasons for that view. I know that I'm frequently role playing to an extent on that forum,

In some cases that's true. In some of my threads I take one little shred of my personality and I base the entire point of the thread on that shred. Many posters have gotten the wrong impression of me based on that.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Ha!

Yeah, where was mine on February 21st?

I cried myself to sleep in the fetal position, lying naked in a pool of cold sweat on a basement floor with my thumb in my mouth because my existence was not validated on ATS that particular day.

I can't talk about it anymore...I'm too upset...

*tear*

edit on 8-3-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't research anyone's Anniversaries or Birthdays. I either know the dates because I know the person or a friend of theirs asks me to make a thread. Sometimes I will just happen to notice an Anniversary date and like that person. I do not know every person on the site. I have to keep making new lists because someone brings yet another name and date to my attention and can't squeeze them in between lines.

My sleeping pattern is all over the place so sometimes I make a thread when someone's anniversary or birthday is almost over. Sometimes, because of the amount of chronic pain I am in or perhaps because I have an extremely busy day, I might miss someone's Anniversary or Birthday.

This could turn into a full time job. There are so many lovely people and I wish I could celebrate every member here, but I am only one person. I am sorry if this looks like some kind of clique. I am very sociable and love my ATS family. I certainly don't need stars and flags. I don't need any special attention for doing what I do. I don't mean to make anyone feel as though they aren't special.

I would never ever want to make anyone feel bad for any reason. You'd really have to push my buttons for that and it isn't easy to do.

Please, to all who feel bad or neglected or are annoyed...Try to understand that I couldn't possibly make a thread for everyone on the site. If I could, I would, but it would drain me. I have my physical issues and busy days and what-not. This isn't a popularity contest or anything. It is simply Something I do from my heart when I am able.

edit on 9-3-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I think it's pretty sweet and kind of you. I rather see 817 birthday threads filled with encouraging thoughts and kindness than seeing 817 threads filled with bashing and sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I hate to see you in a position of feeling you need to explain yourself or defend yourself.
You should never have to explain yourself for being kind and thoughtful.

If a person doesn't understand that, then it's on them.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Wait! What!? ATS members have birthdays? and, and anniversaries?? *gasp* The nerve of some people!

Fret not, sweet Night Star, your kindness knows no bounds. You are loved just the way you are.

Jas

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Awww, had to come back and thank all who have spoken so nicely about me. It is much appreciated!

The OP did mention in another thread where they were mostly joking in this one. I forget who made a similar thread and was upset about these types of threads that I and others make, so I do feel a need to try and explain how things really are and not what some assume it is. You know, for those coming across this for the first time or are a new member here.

People are entitled to their opinions, I just don't want folks thinking it's a clique thing or a popularity contest or something. It started off innocently enough and I had no idea I would be pissing people off. I especially do not want anyone to be hurt or feel left out. Like I said before, I am only one person and can only do so much. If someone would like an anniversary or birthday thread, just ask. All I ask in return is for people not to hang me if I am unable that day or if I am in a lot of physical pain or extra busy. Pssst, I'm not really an Elf and don't have magic.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Pssst, I'm not really an Elf and don't have magic.

Wait. What? Get out of town right now.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

OMG, your Anniversary date is April 18th...my Birthday! We'll need a yuuuuge party!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Pssst, I'm not really an Elf and don't have magic.

Wait. What? Get out of town right now.

Oh crap, as I was writing that, I thought, I hope Mason doesn't see this! Ahahaha!
edit on 9-3-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

OMG, as I was writing that, I thought, I hope Mason doesn't see this! Ahahaha!

I see everything. Everything.

And for the record, I wouldn't want a birthday thread so that's one of your list.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Firstly I would like to mention a couple of things: as True said above, you don't go running around telling strangers happy birthday.
Second, there are many of us that through the Chit Chat forums have gotten to know each other and have become friends. I have made many of my acquaintances through The Shed. A revolving thread (we are up to Shed 14 now) that includes a group format story line along with lots of chit chat. There are also other threads sprinkled throughout chit chat that allows members to share on a more personal level. I don't see how that is in any way "cliquey" since anyone is welcome.

Quality not quantity is what matters.

ETA: If you click on my signature it will take you to the most current shed.

edit on 3/9/2017 by Martin75 because: It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor. Would you be mine? Could you be mine?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

OMG, as I was writing that, I thought, I hope Mason doesn't see this! Ahahaha!

I see everything. Everything.

And for the record, I wouldn't want a birthday thread so that's one of your list.

Everything???? Good thing I have clothes on. Sheesh!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That was nice of you to leave an invite for the shed Jess! You didn't warn them how crazy we could be though. Wait, that's Mason's thread.

See folks, you meet people all over the forum and get to know each other.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You're so nice. This thread wasn't about you. You're not the only one who creates celebratory threads by any means.

I just look at this issue from the perspective that for every celebratory thread that is made, thousands of people are left out. I suppose I'm more empathetic toward the neglected than those who get attention.

This thread was 95% an exaggerated joke. Please take it as such.

I think you're one of the best posters on this site.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join