It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Her Opponent" - What if Trump and Clinton switched genders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hey all!

The heated and highly-criticized 2016 presidential debates which featured Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were recently reenacted at The Provincetown Playhouse. The play featured one key difference from the original event: genders of the two candidates were switched- Hillary was portrayed by a male actor who adopted her mannerisms, and Trump was played by a strong-willed female with no reservations about getting to the point and cutting off [her] opponent.

When the production was developed, it was expected to display just how little respect anyone would have for Trump's no-BS attitude and roughness when it was coming from a woman. It was imagined that, coming from a man, Clinton's arguments would be that-much-more effective. If she was a man, she certainly couldn't have lost! However, after the play was acted-out in front off a largely left-leaning audience, very different findings were discovered:

After watching the second televised debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in October 2016—a battle between the first female candidate nominated by a major party and an opponent who’d just been caught on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women—Maria Guadalupe, an associate professor of economics and political science at INSTEAD, had an idea. Millions had tuned in to watch a man face off against a woman for the first set of co-ed presidential debates in American history. But how would their perceptions change, she wondered, if the genders of the candidates were switched? She pictured an actress playing Trump, replicating his words, gestures, body language, and tone verbatim, while an actor took on Clinton’s role in the same way. What would the experiment reveal about male and female communication styles, and the differing standards by which we unconsciously judge them?

Salvatore says he and Guadalupe began the project assuming that the gender inversion would confirm what they’d each suspected watching the real-life debates: that Trump’s aggression—his tendency to interrupt and attack—would never be tolerated in a woman, and that Clinton’s competence and preparedness would seem even more convincing coming from a man.

Many were shocked to find that they couldn’t seem to find in Jonathan Gordon what they had admired in Hillary Clinton—or that Brenda King’s clever tactics seemed to shine in moments where they’d remembered Donald Trump flailing or lashing out. For those Clinton voters trying to make sense of the loss, it was by turns bewildering and instructive, raising as many questions about gender performance and effects of sexism as it answered.

I must say, the part that I find the most impressive out of this entire "social-experiment" is that they actually reported on the major discrepancy of expected-outcome from true-outcome. Kudos.

The entire article is an interesting read.

www.nyu.edu... s/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html

The quotes were taken directly from New York University's website (link to follow). The production is to go into filming to be streamed online.
Take a look at the YouTube except attached, it's pretty interesting to view the debates in an entirely different light- and that video was just a rehearsal!

Best!

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Glad you posted this, thanks. I was considering it but feeling lazy. Definitely worth reading the whole thing.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
HILLARY CLINTON said (on 3.3.17) that after long reflection, she's come to the final conclusion that she lost to Donald Trump, because Americans are SEXIST and she is a WOMAN.

Full Story: thepoliticalinsider.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: aEcho

"What if Trump and Clinton switched genders?"

How could you tell the difference....both are old have bad hair and like to grab p*ssy........

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
HILLARY CLINTON said (on 3.3.17) that after long reflection, she's come to the final conclusion that she lost to Donald Trump, because Americans are SEXIST and she is a WOMAN.

Full Story: thepoliticalinsider.com...

Ok. Then why did she lose the 2008 DEMOCRATIC PARTY primary to Obama?

FULL.

edit on 7-3-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Im just spitballing here but maybe, just maybe the fact she lost has nothing to do with her being a woman and everything to do with her being a dodgy lying no good piece of sh*t.

I know, Im crazy but sometimes its fun to play devils advocate

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Was Hillary a woman in 2008?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: aEcho

Thanks for posting this. They mentioned it on Tucker tonight.

Whats funny is that this is how most of these social experiments turn out. I saw a video where a woman passed as a man fro a decent period of time, and she thought life would be easier as a man because she would be more respected, etc. She said there were some advantages, but overall she hated it because of the huge expectations that were put on her as a man. She was given no breaks as was unable to show any emotion.

Studies have been done in schools where teachers grade papers with no names on them. When they put a girls name on the paper, the scores go up. When its a boys name, they go down.

I am not saying sexism against women doesn't exist. But it time we start to rethink prejudices among the sexes.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
What if my uncle was a woman?

Sort of a freshman year, stoned and drunk sort of question. Ain't it?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
What if my uncle was a woman?

Than she would be your aunt?

The real question is; what bathroom would she use?
edit on 8-3-2017 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

That's the easy answer.

I don't give a damn.

edit on 3/8/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Was Hillary a woman in 2008?

Apparently Democrats were sexist, back then.

top topics

join