It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks: CIA 'Stole' Russian Malware, Uses It to ‘Misdirect Attribution’ of Cyber Attacks

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Many people are using this to say that Russia was not involved, which has not been proven, and are using it to blast the Left for their "Russia did it" narrative.

Russia may have very well been behind the hacks. They may not be behind the hacks. At this point we do not know for certain.

Too many people are jumping the gun for political purposes.

Here's the rub... "Russia did it" was used in an attempt to excuse, forget, and even ignore both the obvious ineptitude of and extremely dangerous and myopic thoughts and actions of Hillary Clinton and her team of insiders. The whole narrative was intended to divest the voters from rational questions and concerns about voting for Clinton AND THE ESTABLISHMENT ASSISTED IN THIS EFFORT. That's a far, far cry from the motivations of the Right through all of this... most all of us were simply calling for these emails and leaks to receive the media and political attention they deserved, rather they were mostly swept under the rug because: Russians Bad.

This is a debacle of the left's creation. Had they actually given all of this the scrutiny and circumspection it would have received had it been about *anyone* not in a politically advantageous and shielded position, "the CIA can falsify digital fingerprints to make their hacks appear to have originated in other nations" wouldn't be much of a talking point today beyond the to-be-expected "Goddamned US government" and the "America, F* yeah!" sides and their usual back and forth. Instead it has become a circle jerk of wild accusations and clumsy deflections.

Do I believe the CIA forged the hacks? I dunno... It is now obvious that it was within their ability to do so and, frankly, I don't have any trust or love for foreign intelligence agencies that opt to turn their telescopes inward to glare at the Americans they're supposed to be protecting... Seems like all the CIA does anymore is snoop through all of our unmentionables, thoughts, and activities. Call me naive, but I believe privacy is a fundamental right and don't appreciate asshat federales who presume they have any right or justification to play out their spook fantasies within America's borders. That's playing a role here for me, too... I sort of am hoping that these types of leaks prove true and that the country finally says "ENOUGH!" and sets these alphabet agencies to burn. I'd support a spook gulag in downtown Pyongyang, frankly... harvest all the nation's snoops who have worked inside the nations borders against Americans and provide them with American flag facial tattoos and a one way ticket to a super happy fun skydive drop into the Ryongsong guard compound.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
To be honest, I don't think the DNC emails were very damaging. Kudos to the people who read through thousands and thousands of emails. Their eyes must be permanently damaged.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

how do you decide which sites are fake news and which sites are not? seriously curious.

That is easy the same way you do! I pick the stories that fit my narrative, and you pick the stories that fit your narrative.

Just where you get your stories from are known to release fake-news!

link   
Also if you had read Relda's post it said that their was a story about this subject in the NY Times.

Unless you doubt their credibility.
edit on 7-3-2017 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Konduit

You are a meme machine, I'm sure you even went through the trouble of making it yourself. Good job on your dedication to lowering the quality of this site.

Why is this in the mud-pit other than to start an argument?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Never said that, nothing of the kind.

You said the content of the emails are the issue, not the hacking. If foreign powers did hack the DNC, do you have a problem with that?

The comment you were responding to was in regards to the Dems, media and IC being correct that Russia did hack the DNC.

So is it ok or not, or does it depend on the content of the emails?

And you still have no proof that it was the Russians that hacked Podesta's emails. So no foreign entities involved, as far as can be proven.

And no evidence has been shown to prove anyone else was behind the hacks. It appears no solid conclusion can be made whatsoever.

Except that they appear to have "non political" loyalist operatives inside the IC community working on their behalf. We shall see how long that lasts.

It would be hard to hide behind irrefutable proof, regardless of the friends they have.

Do you have that?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If Russia did not know whether or not there was anything damaging in the DNC emails, then why did they dump all of them to Wikileaks without checking through them? What if there was nothing damaging? Wouldn't that have backfired on them? This is why I think it was not Russia that hacked DNC, but rather it was an insider leak, because the leaker must have already known there was something damaging in the DNC emails whereas Russia being an outsider would not have had that information.
edit on 7-3-2017 by wacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Diisenchanted

So does this mean that the lefts entire argument about the Russians hacking the DNC are null and void.

No.

What this means, if true, is that the CIA has the tools to do so, but it is not proof that they did.

Unless clear evidence is presented, it is still possible Russia was behind the hack.

With this logic the possibilities are endless. Some of the same people saying what you said also said it could not be done.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

There were seventeen intelligence agencies that confirmed the Russian involvement. Hacking was only part.
They were also behind the Hillary is sick, Hillary has brain ephasia (made up word) and many of the fake stories about her.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about so I'm going to help you out. If you look over the UMBRAGE documents/notes, there is absolutely no mentioning of misdirected attribution let alone Russia, the DNC hacks, etc.

Furthermore, none of the items in the library match what was found in the DNC hacks nor were any of them tools used by Fancy Bear/Cozy Bear.

What you have is some malware collected from the wild and a bunch of leading text from WikiLeaks to steer you into making an unsubstantiated conclusion. Which is what you have done. Congratulations on being easily misled.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

A confidence assessment is not confirmation. The only way to confirm is to catch a hacker and have that hacker confess. Just because the hacking took place in Russia does not confirm the Russian government was the culprit.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I realize how much time you have spent on the whole Russian hacking story.

It just breaks my heart that you have wasted so much time.

Now maybe you can devote some of your time to something real.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

You said the content of the emails are the issue, not the hacking. If foreign powers did hack the DNC, do you have a problem with that?

I said "damaging". The resignations in the DNC were a direct
result of the damage, from Debbie to 5 or so others, not to
mention it exposed they were all rigging it for Hillary to
be the candidate etc.

So no, the DNC was not correct, the media covered her arse,
and the IC community said over and again there was no
proof that Russia did the hacking!

A foreign government hacking a political party in the U.S., yes
I take issue with that and would view it as espionage if proven.

But what we had, no proof whatsoever that it was in fact Russians.
Only Crowdsrike, which if you read the fine details there were
always two sets of "fingerprints".

So is it ok or not, or does it depend on the content of the emails?

Two separate things.

What is a larger problem, and one that threatens the very foundation
of this country, constitution, and freedoms is that of a IC agency
using its powers, and tools as the agency to undermine its
own citizens freedoms and privacy. Do you not have a problem with that?

What is more dangerous? The Russians or an Agency using its
powers to shape the narrative in the media, create revolutions
in other countries, and furthering the advancement of Globalism?

It would be hard to hide behind irrefutable proof, regardless of the friends they have.
Do you have that?

They had all bases covered.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

There were seventeen intelligence agencies that confirmed the Russian involvement. Hacking was only part.
They were also behind the Hillary is sick, Hillary has brain ephasia (made up word) and many of the fake stories about her.

Inaccurate statement.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Here's the rub... "Russia did it" was used in an attempt to excuse, forget, and even ignore both the obvious ineptitude of and extremely dangerous and myopic thoughts and actions of Hillary Clinton and her team of insiders.

What if Russia did "do it"?

We can agree about the ineptitude and myopic thoughts/actions of Hillary and her team, but that does not prove whether or not Russia was involved.

The whole narrative was intended to divest the voters from rational questions and concerns about voting for Clinton AND THE ESTABLISHMENT ASSISTED IN THIS EFFORT.

The "establishment" is not relegated to just the Left side of the equation, if Hillary could even be considered "Left" in the first place.

That's a far, far cry from the motivations of the Right through all of this... most all of us were simply calling for these emails and leaks to receive the media and political attention they deserved, rather they were mostly swept under the rug because: Russians Bad.

And they did receive that attention. Hillary's email issue was not swept under the rug.

This is a debacle of the left's creation. Had they actually given all of this the scrutiny and circumspection it would have received had it been about *anyone* not in a politically advantageous and shielded position, "the CIA can falsify digital fingerprints to make their hacks appear to have originated in other nations" wouldn't be much of a talking point today beyond the to-be-expected "Goddamned US government" and the "America, F* yeah!" sides and their usual back and forth. Instead it has become a circle jerk of wild accusations and clumsy deflections.

The Left definitely has some blame to take here, but it is naive to think it would not be much of a talking point of the partisan Right that makes mountains out of molehills, so much so that conspiracy has become a natural part of their overall mentality.

Do I believe the CIA forged the hacks? I dunno... It is now obvious that it was within their ability to do so and, frankly, I don't have any trust or love for foreign intelligence agencies that opt to turn their telescopes inward to glare at the Americans they're supposed to be protecting... Seems like all the CIA does anymore is snoop through all of our unmentionables, thoughts, and activities. Call me naive, but I believe privacy is a fundamental right and don't appreciate asshat federales who presume they have any right or justification to play out their spook fantasies within America's borders. That's playing a role here for me, too... I sort of am hoping that these types of leaks prove true and that the country finally says "ENOUGH!" and sets these alphabet agencies to burn. I'd support a spook gulag in downtown Pyongyang, frankly... harvest all the nation's snoops who have worked inside the nations borders against Americans and provide them with American flag facial tattoos and a one way ticket to a super happy fun skydive drop into the Ryongsong guard compound.

I strongly agree and I strongly disagree with what you have said.

There's a lot to comment on there and I will simply say that freedom is paramount. We should not have our government overreaching it's authority, but at the same time we should not be using issues like this to push political narratives that do not benefit that end effect.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12

So does this mean that the lefts entire argument about the Russians hacking the DNC are null and void.

No.

What this means, if true, is that the CIA has the tools to do so, but it is not proof that they did.

Unless clear evidence is presented, it is still possible Russia was behind the hack.

With this logic the possibilities are endless. Some of the same people saying what you said also said it could not be done.

I am not responsible for what others may have said.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

... but at the same time we should not be using issues like this to push political narratives that do not benefit that end effect.

Funny... you almost make it sound like it's NOT the DNC side of the establishment powers that are by and large using their influence (within branches of Government, IC and the MSM) in order to push their political narrative - irregardless of the truth and/or what American citizens actually want.

edit on 7/3/17 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

I said "damaging". The resignations in the DNC were a direct result of the damage, from Debbie to 5 or so others, not to mention it exposed they were all rigging it for Hillary to be the candidate etc.

You said the "problem" was the content of the emails and not the hack. Here is your post:

Let me offer a correction to your assertion above. It was the actual emails themselves that were the problem, not the hacking.

A foreign government hacking a political party in the U.S., yes I take issue with that and would view it as espionage if proven.

So it is a "problem"?

Two separate things. What is a larger problem, and one that threatens the very foundation of this country, constitution, and freedoms is that of a IC agency using its powers, and tools as the agency to undermine its own citizens freedoms and privacy. Do you not have a problem with that?

I do.

Can you prove that is what occurred?

What is more dangerous? The Russians or an Agency using its powers to shape the narrative in the media, create revolutions in other countries, and furthering the advancement of Globalism?

Depends. Are the Russians using it's power "to shape the narrative in the media, create revolutions in other countries, and furthering the advancement of Globalism" by hacking/releasing this info?

Perhaps you may be falling in to the very trap you wish to prevent.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
On NPR it sounded like they were ramping up the Russian investigationa reply to: Diisenchanted

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Is not just possible they are behind the hacking, dirty, dirty entity it needs to be dismantle.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join