It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we still using gasoline to fight the flames?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Half the nation seemed to be vehemently opposed to Hillary Clinton becoming President.
The other half seemed to be vehemently opposed to Donald Trump becoming President.
One person is blue, one person is red.

Too many people point fingers at the individual, or at other citizens with opposing views, without realizing that the system is the actual problem. The government has too much power, their ability to interfere with our daily lives has become unacceptable.

If you're simply upset because someone you didn't personally like became President, you can get over yourself.
On the other hand... Like most of us, if you are worried and against what a person might DO as the president, you're on the right track...

The same government that "allows" you to do certain things, can also restrict you in other ways.
The same government that can restrict your rights or actions in one area, can restrict your rights in another.

If any freedom cannot be threatened, or "granted" - All freedoms can be threatened.

Not to say I believe in anarchy - I do believe in organization and in general, reasonable law - laying out basics, or a guideline, is very reasonable to me, but I also firmly believe that states should be able to figure out the details for themselves - Such as the specific punishments, or reasonable interpretation of the generalized law set forth by the Government. ( Capital punishment, for instance - Could be a states issue. )
It would create the diversity we need - As a rural Idaho farmer does not even desire the same representation as the New York metropolitan citizens, as well as Utah, having a higher population of conservatives is not bound to desire to pass the same legislation as California, which leans more liberal.

To summarize - I believe that advocating for the federal government that can represent your own personal interest is like fighting flames with fuel. You are only increasing the size of an entity that can and will, at any given time, pass "one size fits all" legislation - Telling you what you can and cannot do, and interfering with your daily life in an all-too intrusive way.

-Deadlyhope

edit on 7-3-2017 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Great OP.

Ultimately I vote for the candidate who will screw with my life the least. Personal interest I know, but frankly I see the Feds as a useless ball of goo that is best kept at arms length.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Agreed. In my mind, the larger any organization becomes, the more likely it is to be corrupt. The smaller the political unit governed, the more accountability there is for those elected. This is one major reason why the country is so divided. No one feels like their voice is being heard.

As the system stands, there is absolutely no accountability, corruption is rife and usually legalized. It's an untenable state of affairs and will fall like a house of cards.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Knowing you're essentially a libertarian, I follow what you're saying on a more personal level - On the other hand, everyone thinks they are voting for the candidate that screws with their life the least. They pick the person that seems to best represent their own view of the world, and the candidate that seems like they would not do damage to they way they want things to run.

Unfortunately, such perspectives often include denying the rights of others, or "allowing" rights that we never needed permission to have in the first place. The more silly thing is that there are those that fight against such "allowances" as well. Gay marriage is the first that comes to mind - Tax code aside ( and honestly needing to be fixed anyways ) , It's none of the governments damn business what two people do behind closed doors. To have to advocate for this "right" was ridiculous in the first place, as it should have never been something the government could approve nor deny, and fighting against such a thing is even more crazy in my eyes.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Term limits, more states rights, less federal government oversight, scope, power - I think these are some key stepping stones towards a better future. Not to mention education based on reality ( I hardly learned about politics, the workplace, entrepreneurship, or otherwise - But I damn well have the quadratic equation down. )

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Somethings the OP doesn't really get correctly.

1. The government does not GIVE you freedom. The Government can only TAKE your freedom. It does so through violence, taxes, regulation and retribution based laws executed by the very people the laws are written for. You are not free.

2. Right now, the government controls every single aspect of your existence, all. So the notion you have "freedom" that will be taken by trump is ludicrous, you have no freedom. If you are confused, look at obama's NDAA, you are an enemy of the state and can be detained at any time for any reason, further, should the government agency in charge decide, you are not entitled to representation and, even better, a gag order can be slapped on you and those you know and you will be prevented from speaking about the entire event. You are not free.

3. If you are concerned about what trump might do, then you accept the premise that you are, and have been, living under a dictatorship since... Nothing about the government structure changed with his election, it is still a 3 tiered system, unless you believe trump is a dictator, if so, then so was obama and bush, and clinton, and bush... You are not free.

4. Folks fail to recognize, the government is a fiction, a nothing, a paper tiger, the people who restrict you are your family, your friends, your neighbors. Last I checked those who worked for the EPA, the Army, the IRS were your friends and family, they gladly take your freedoms, and theirs, for a paycheck. One of the things the East Germans demonstrated, and were proud of, is they had half the population spying on the other half - friends and family do the work, not the government. You are not free.

5. Walk outside, tell me, what has changed? Take a trip to the mall, tell me what has changed? If the Trump doom is so obvious, tell me? You still need to show your papers to: travel, buy a house, rent a car, get on a bus, get a CC, enter a concert, you still need to agree to get patted down when the TSA or domestic army demands, or go to jail. You still need to work for the government debt machine your first 7 months out of every year. You are not free.

YOU ARE NOT FREE, as you have NEVER been free, you do not know it, so please stop claiming to know something you have no experience with. Stop accepting the notion that you are, once you see this then things will change. Stop seeing the trump as the oppressor and realize it is you and yours! If no one showed for work at the IRS what would happen? Think about that. If all cops woke up and said, "screw this, I'm no longer taxing people, I'm only going to help people if they need it, but taxing is over and so is gun killing and body armor and hating on my neighbors" what would happen?

If you are alive, you have NEVER known freedom, you are delusional if you think the so called "freedoms" the Constitution suggests are a daily part of you life, they are not and have not been in your entire existence. You do not know what freedom is, that should make you mad, sad and above all, desirable to know what it is truly like.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: crankyoldman

???

This is not an anti Trump thread.

It's the premise that if you dislike Trump, or Hillary... Or anyone else, you can take a deeper look and realize that the system is corrupt, not simply the individual people.

The government is the problem, not the president.

Cranky old man describes you well.

Why are you trying to define what freedom is for me?

I can walk outside without being attacked, fined, or otherwise.

I can grow the food I'd like, or buy what Id like at the store.

I am posting on Ats..and no one is in sight that I think will stop me.

On the other hand, I think the government is going too far with some legislation. They should not restrict many things, and they should not be seen as an entity that can allow something either.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

???

This is not an anti Trump thread.

_javascript:icon('
')You said: "Like most of us, if you are worried and against what a person might DO as the president, you're on the right track... "
Trump is the president, you are referring to him.

It's the premise that if you dislike Trump, or Hillary... Or anyone else, you can take a deeper look and realize that the system is corrupt, not simply the individual people.

The government is the problem, not the president.

Cranky old man describes you well.

Why are you trying to define what freedom is for me?

I can walk outside without being attacked, fined, or otherwise.

')Wrong. Simply wrong. For you you can be arrested now. You have committed at least three felony's today, any one with a gun, EPA, IRS, Cops has a right to arrest you for any reason at all. If you use drugs, of any kind, the State has declared you an enemy of the state and are without rights - See War On Drugs as a declared war.

I can grow the food I'd like, or buy what Id like at the store.

')Wrong. You cannot grow, or sell, without the permission of the government. The government has exclusive domain over all transactions using the US dollar and by default, all business and you sir are a business.

I am posting on Ats..and no one is in sight that I think will stop me.

On the other hand, I think the government is going too far with some legislation. They should not restrict many things, and they should not be seen as an entity that can allow something either.

')You are not free, never have been, at least while on earth.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Who needs a president when you have a bureaucracy? One is elected, one isn't. One goes up for re-election, one doesn't. One has a maximum term, the other can stay forever.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Cranky, you're not going to get many to agree with you, because it's not what most want to hear. However, I do think, at least to an extent, you make a significant point. If you have a governing body, particularly one which is ruled by people who, let's be frank, have no idea what it's like to live the life of a COMMON person, the common person isn't really free.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Because out of jp4 .
And petrol cheaper .

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Term limits, more states rights, less federal government oversight, scope, power - I think these are some key stepping stones towards a better future. Not to mention education based on reality

That's not the way capitalism works. There needs to be a yugggeee bureaucracy to keep the taxes coming in so the elite/wealthy rulers can maintain their positions of power.

Capitalism only works when there is a big disparaty between rich and poor. It's a class structure of workers and ruler/owner class.

How can that be changed?
edit on 7-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
On one level, crankyoldman we necessarily give up some rights when entering into a social compact. We give up some rights by being a part of a family, etc. etc. However, mindless nihilism gets us nowhere.

I couldn't disagree more with olaru. The disparity between rich and poor isn't necessary to, nor unique in, a capitalist society. When 350 million vote for one position, one vote literally means nothing. When 300 people vote for one position, one vote is extremely powerful.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The government and the economy itself is controlled by Wall Street. That's why it won't matter if it's red or blue.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Because Russia keeps on influencing everyone. But thats only if you buy the Lefts Logic when they have produced no hard evidence

new topics

top topics

join