It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dystopian World of 1984 Explained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
1984 is a book that I have read by choice a few times. I really enjoy the book for it's premise I loath the book for it's bleak ending and setting up a false sense of optimism with it's protagonist Winston Smith. One of the things I had a hard time with was understanding the bigger picture of the world that 1984 was set in and how the world had gotten that way. I was not quite sure who the countries were that the society that Winston lived in where at war with and how that played out globally.
Thankfully Cody at alternate history hub has done a great video breaking down the world of 1984 and the nature of INGSOC it definitely gave me a better understanding of Orwell's fictional world.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
MMMMMMMM.......... Double Plus Good! not much difference from the book, and walking out your front door today, at least compared to the actual year 1984, we're closer to that book than ever before.....

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

I need to get off my lazy butt and read Brave New World.

I have heard people make a comparison that we live in a hybrid world of 1984 and Brave New World.

I know some of the key points of Brave New World I just haven't read it yet it's the other dystopian novel that is often lumped in with 1984.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I saw something on the web(it might have been ATS) but it said something along the lines of this.

Orwell never expected for us to be buying the cameras and our biggest fear is no one watching us.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Yeah the whole "Winston found he actually loved the empire" bit was a bit off putting to me, but I think his whole point was more about human nature's tendency to just accept things, even things they inwardly abhor.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Yeah the book is great a cautionary tale as a illustration of manipulation and control.

The first time I read the book I thought Winston Smith really was going to win until he was caught and sent to the ministry of Love then everything went down hill hope wise.

But the fact that they didn't just torture and kill him but actually changed his mind made the book seem pretty horrific to me.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Its the globalists model of our future and we are already being primed.

One example, I believe, is the Mandela effect. It is much more sinister than it seems.
They have started to implant the idea that you can no longer rely on your own memory or that of the collective.
People just laugh and say " don't be silly, its just your memory".
Eventually, when books are gone and all information comes from on-line, it will be that much easier to remove parts of our history that are of no use to our masters.

Soon after that, people won't try to remember ( or, at least they'll keep quiet about it). Imagine the conflict among the citizens of the future when someone says " hey, remember when Trump was president?" and everyone laughs at you and says "NO!".

You'll go quiet pretty quick and start to doubt yourself.

....after a few more years of that, our grand children may end up entirely dependent on " the state" to keep track of things for them because they won't feel the need to remember anything important. It will just be too much trouble and too confusing so why even bother?

Everything is under control.

new topics

top topics

join