It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no foreign military bases here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm curious, why are there no military bases owned by foreign powers (our allies) in the United States? I mean, WE have plenty of military bases, owned or leased, in other countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, Italy, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Japan...etc.

What's the deal? Is it because we're insecure? Stuck up? Is it because no one else has a military the size of ours? What?

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Because noone has been able to defeat us on our home turf, in effect they don't have a right to build any here.

But we do alot of cross training with foreign militaries.

[Edited on 25-6-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Most of these bases were created during the cold war.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I wasn't aware we beat Canada or Australia on their own turf....

Besides, I'm not necessarily talking about a bunch of foreign soldiers being here. Just a tiny installation or base would do...

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
but is curious as to why?

It's a combination of factors. Some nations wanted us to be there, to help bolster defenses. In return, it gave us a staging ground. Others are there by agreements, such as those which ended various wars, allowing bases there by the victors, to ensure stability in the region. None of these scenarios applies to the US...thus, no foreign bases here.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Because noone has been able to defeat us on our home turf, in effect they don't have a right to build any here.

There are a lot of countries whom you haven't beaten on their home turf who have US bases on their soil.

The simple reason for those bases is that they have them there because they are more convenient.
Add the factor of strategic positioning for US interests (which are normally the host countrie's interests too) and it's logical why those bases are there.

There is no logic for a country like the UK, Canada, Australia or any other ally having a base on US soil.

You buggers in the US are seen as powerful enough to defend yourselves.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well said. That should pretty much sum it up. We buggers are plenty capible of defending ourselves.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   
there is a large foreign military presence here though, althought it is true there are no true foreign owned bases. There are bases used heavily by other military's for training purposes, my Fiancee's father used to tell me all the time about how the base in New Mexico (who's name i dont remember) that he lived on was primarily used by the German Air Force

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Check this out...

The US Army School of Americas (SOA), based in Fort Benning, Georgia, trains Latin American soldiers in combat, counter-insurgency, and counter-narcotics. Graduates of the SOA are responsible for some of the worst human rights abuses in Latin America. Among the SOA's nearly 60,000 graduates are notorious dictators Manuel Noriega and Omar Torrijos of Panama, Leopoldo Galtieri and Roberto Viola of Argentina, Juan Velasco Alvarado of Peru, Guillermo Rodriguez of Ecuador, and Hugo Banzer Suarez of Bolivia. Lower-level SOA graduates have participated in human rights abuses that include the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero and the El Mozote Massacre of 900 civilians. (See Grads in the News.)

www.soaw.org...

carlisle-www.army.mil...

The Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC), located at Fort Benning in Columbus, Georgia, is the U.S. Army�s principal Spanish-language training facility for Latin American military personnel. It is the successor to the School of the Americas (SOA), a facility established in 1946 and legally closed in 2001. The WHINSEC is located in the same building, and offers many of the same courses, as the school it replaces. Along with the U.S. Air Force's Inter-American Air Forces Academy (IAAFA), WHINSEC attracts the largest number of Latin American military students.

The Army�s operations and maintenance account pays the institute�s fixed costs. Student tuition costs are covered mainly by grants through the International Military Education and Training (IMET) and International Narcotics Control (INC) programs, or purchases of training through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program.

The School of the Americas had been questioned for years, as it trained many military personnel before and during the years of the "national security doctrine" -- the dirty war years in the Southern Cone and the civil war years in Central America -- in which Latin American militaries ruled or had disproportionate government influence and committed serious human rights violations. Training manuals used at the SOA and elsewhere from the early 1980s through 1991 promoted techniques that violated human rights and democratic standards. SOA graduates continue to surface in news reports regarding both current human rights cases and new reports on past cases.

www.ciponline.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I guess that answers my question then.

I just wanted to make sure that the reason we didn't have any foreign military bases here wasn't a "you're not good enough to have bases in 'merica" attitude or something. That just wouldn't be fair would it?

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Since the Clinton "Don't ask, don't tell" policy came into effect, we have to protect ourselves from buggerers. Or we have buggerrers protecting us from ourselves? It's all so confusing!

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
I wasn't aware we beat Canada or Australia on their own turf....

Besides, I'm not necessarily talking about a bunch of foreign soldiers being here. Just a tiny installation or base would do...

We fought in the war of 1812 apparently they don;t teach much of that war in the usa, plus in alert, NWT there is a radar base made during the cold war

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i'm canadian, we invented the avro arrow(best plane for it's time)

For the record- our willies are quite fine thank you

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:26 PM
link   
No offense, but that is really an absurd question. America has military bases throughout the world mostly to protect friendly nations. Some will argue it is to protect American economic interests. Both are true. Why on Earth would someone want a base in America??? To stage an invasion or prevent one from Canada or Mexico? It makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Foreign facilities would have so much trouble here also. Just look at how our own bases are scrutinized, oogled and gissiped over. Could you just imagine how outsiders would take to those customs?!

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

But we do alot of cross training with foreign militaries.

[Edited on 25-6-2003 by ADVISOR]

you pretty much summed it up man. once they beat us, THEN they can have their airbases

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
what about dulce...

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DClark
some of those small penised Canadians work with us at NORAD also.

NORAD protects canada too you idoit. NOrth american Radar Air Defence

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think this is an interesting statement about Caspian nations found in the Geographic magazine.

"Many lessar nations in the Caspian that have to contend with Russia and Kazakhstan, are trying to get United States business interested in developing their oil, because where the US money goes, so do the Marines."

All our bases are accepted by the nations we have them in.

If the nations wanted to put bases on our soil for ours being on theirs, we'd promptly remove our presence.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I still find it funny the the Filipinos got upset about our Naval base there, as a result we closed it (also has to do with a volcano exploding nearby). Once it was closed the local economy went to hell and they begged us to reopen it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join