It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard constitutional law professor: Trump's wiretap tweets raise his risk of impeachment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

The Constitution speaks of impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors." A lot of ink has been spilled over these words, which date back at least to impeachment proceedings in the 14th century. This isn't the place for a detailed analysis.

Suffice it to say that what makes crimes "high" is that they pertain to the exercise of government office. That's exactly what accusations by the executive are: actions that take on their distinctive meaning because they are made by government officials.

Given how great the executive's power is, accusations by the president can't be treated asymmetrically. If the alleged action would be impeachable if true, so must be the allegation if false. Anything else would give the president the power to distort democracy by calling his opponents criminals without ever having to prove it.

Donald Trump's wiretap tweets raise his risk of impeachment

I tried to warn people on this forum of how dangerous Trump's tweets are, but Trump supporters wouldn't listen. How unbelievable would it be if Trump ends up getting impeached over some tweets?

It looks to me like this situation probably will end up one of two ways: Obama goes to jail or Trump gets impeached.

Which would you bet on? PredictIt currently is giving Trump only a 77% probability of still being POTUS at the end of this year.

Will Donald Trump be president at year-end 2017?

For what it's worth, I would bet on Obama's innocence over Trump's allegations.
edit on 6-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

His detractors have claimed that President Obama was a lot of things, none of them nice, but I've never heard one of them claim he was stupid;

Stupid enough to to try to circumvent the FISA court to wiretap an American citizen without a preponderance of probable cause.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Between the non stop Russian connections, Trump's hiding of his taxes, and the fact he's a loony conservative conspiracy theorist who continues to parrot conservative media on Twitter it's only a matter of time before he buries himself. Assuming Pence doesn't go down with him, I'll take Pence over Trump any day of the week.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

while i would love to see this dickhead impeached that would leave us with dickhead number 2...pence and i dont want that.

i dont think the donald will be president at the end of this year though. if it is not this it will be something else.

people are in love with him and think every move he makes is calculated and just.

thats not what i think

+33 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The problem with the Harvard prof's thesis is that Trump is 100% correct. The Obama Regime did get a FISA warrant, they did record phone calls at Trump Tower (Mike Flynn), and they also monitored web traffic on a Trump Tower server.

You can't "impeach" a president for being correct.

Even if you could get the GOP majority to consider such a ridiculous thing...

At some point, our leftists are going to have to come to the realization that Bill Clinton's wife lost fair and square.
edit on 6-3-2017 by SBMcG because: Bill Clinton's wife lost the popular vote.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I got a couple problems with this story that you linked.

If the accusation were true, and Obama did order a warrantless wiretap of Trump during the campaign, the scandal would be of Watergate-level proportions.

This is not about a "warrant less" wiretap, because if true, it was OK'd by FISA court.
Warrant less for sure would be worse, but FISA supposedly signed off on it at the Obama administration's request.
Still it would be of Watergate level proportions for the fact that a sitting President wiretapped a opposing party's candidate and a private citizen.

The Constitution speaks of impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors." A lot of ink has been spilled over these words, which date back at least to impeachment proceedings in the 14th century.

14th century?
The USA wasn't a country yet in the 14th century.
Unless they are just speaking of those words themselves?

Anyway, as I said in another thread, call Trump what you want but I don't think he would be stupid enough to call out Obama without knowing of some evidence that the press and the public are not privy to at the moment.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

His detractors have claimed that President Obama was a lot of things, none of them nice, but I've never heard one of them claim he was stupid;

Stupid enough to to try to circumvent the FISA court to wiretap an American citizen without a preponderance of probable cause.

Awwwwww snowden anyone? Hes he has done just that before on everyone!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

14th century. Professor crazy. Fire.

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

So this is all based on the fact if the allegation would be impeachable if true, then it must be on the reverse person if false.

Ok so all of the dems that have called him a racist, said he was like Hitler or worse, said that he would commit genocide or destroy the constitution,

all of those people should be removed from office to once those claims are found untrue.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

The Constitution speaks of impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors." A lot of ink has been spilled over these words, which date back at least to impeachment proceedings in the 14th century. This isn't the place for a detailed analysis.

Suffice it to say that what makes crimes "high" is that they pertain to the exercise of government office. That's exactly what accusations by the executive are: actions that take on their distinctive meaning because they are made by government officials.

Given how great the executive's power is, accusations by the president can't be treated asymmetrically. If the alleged action would be impeachable if true, so must be the allegation if false. Anything else would give the president the power to distort democracy by calling his opponents criminals without ever having to prove it.

Donald Trump's wiretap tweets raise his risk of impeachment

I tried to warn people on this forum of how dangerous Trump's tweets are, but Trump supporters wouldn't listen. How unbelievable would it be if Trump ends up getting impeached over some tweets?

It looks to me like this situation probably will end up one of two ways: Obama goes to jail or Trump gets impeached.

Which would you bet on? PredictIt currently is giving Trump only a 77% probability of still being POTUS at the end of this year.

Will Donald Trump be president at year-end 2017?

For what it's worth, I would bet on Obama's innocence over Trump's allegations.

Like the 99 percent chance hillary would be president lol we all saw just how well the polls worked out. Donald wouldn't be impeached even if he was wrong he does have the right to question the fisa's that exist created by obama admin. Amazing how havard law comes to obamas aid wait didnt obama go to Harvard? Gee i wonder why they wouldn't want this considering they taught obama law.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
A truly maniacal story this one is.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Between the non stop Russian connections, Trump's hiding of his taxes, and the fact he's a loony conservative conspiracy theorist who continues to parrot conservative media on Twitter it's only a matter of time before he buries himself. Assuming Pence doesn't go down with him, I'll take Pence over Trump any day of the week.

Read through the last 5 or 6 days of Tweets from these 2 guys -

twitter.com...

twitter.com...

Yes, they are Conservative columnists, so if you get triggered easily maybe don't read them lol
But they have some insight of what might be happening now and in the days to come.
These wiretaps have already been reported on by many news outlets including the ones that have to do with Michael Flynn resigning.
The hole could be getting wider for Obama and his cronies, who knows?
But I will stress it again.....you can hate Trump for what you want, he would NOT have Tweeted about this crap if he didn't have some proof of this. He is not stupid by any stretch.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

PredictIt currently is giving Trump only a 77% probability of still being POTUS at the end of this year.

What were their projections for the election?

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Liberals need to moveon.org

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
The problem with the Harvard prof's thesis is that Trump is 100% correct. The Obama Regime did get a FISA warrant, they did record phone calls at Trump Tower (Mike Flynn), and they also monitored web traffic on a Trump Tower server.

You can't "impeach" a president for being correct.

Even if you could get the GOP majority to consider such a ridiculous thing...

At some point, our leftists are going to have to come to the realization that Bill Clinton's wife lost fair and square.

Democrats hate losing a election they tried to rig in her favor

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Betting on Obama's innocence is like betting on butter not to melt in the hot sun.
edit on 6-3-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

edit on 6-3-2017 by Templeton because: i give up!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Officials have said there were no warrants issued and no wire tapping .(which of course isn't what they actually do anymore but I digress)

Trump tweeted based on a video and an article in Breitbart that doesn't offer any evidence of the claims.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

There is no evidence.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Officials have said there were no warrants issued and no wire tapping .(which of course isn't what they actually do anymore but I digress)

Trump tweeted based on a video and an article in Breitbart that doesn't offer any evidence of the claims.

Post the video you are referring to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join