It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Glimpse Into The Disturbing Worldview Of Stephen Bannon

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It seems to me that you either have poor reading comprehension, are intentionally misconstruing my words, or view the world through a very skewed pair of glasses.

Let me put it this way: Based on what the OP stated about the book, it sounds indefensible. However, the fact that an indefensible book about an immigration crisis exists does not eliminate the problems with mass immigration.

Making the equivalency between a book that purportedly denigrates an entire race and a movie that purportedly denigrates a small number of people from a certain class is absurd.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The fact that he's referenced it as much as he has is psychologically telling. It's certainly left a mark on his world view hasn't it just?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Sounds like a Really Cool Guy , a True American Patriot . The American People are Lucky to have him in a Position of Influence in the White House .
edit on 6-3-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Steve Bannon is an interesting character alright, I've spent a fair bit of time researching his speeches and writings. He's fairly focused on Nationalism and believes that western society is in decline and will eventually be bred out of existence.

I have Mein Kampf and Little Red Book and The Art of War, among other writings that could get me labelled (by insecure low-information folk) as Satan himself.

I appreciate the point you're making but the context here is important. It's not that he owns the book, has read the book, is referencing the book, etc — he's endorsing the thesis of book. Bannon is promoting the ideas in the book in a way that would be comparable to something like saying, "It's just like Hitler said in Mein Kampf... the Jews do contaminate art and literature and drag men to their base nature."

And this isn't a one off, he's done it repeatedly.

I wouldn't call Bannon a nationalist either. Just as The Camp of the Saints isn't only about France, Bannon's political interests don't lie exclusively with the United States. It's not a coincidence that Merce funded (and Bannon sits on the board of) CA, which is itself a spin-off of the UK-based SCL Group and which was involved in Leave.EU Brexit campaign. Or that the Mercer-funded, Bannon-chaired Breitbart has expanded into the UK and has its sights set on expansion into France, Germany, etc. It's no coincidence that Bannon bragged about becoming the platform for Richard B. Spencer's "Alt-Right" either.

It's not American nationalism that links these people, organizations, movements, etc — it's pan-European nationalism and to various degrees, white supremacy. It's a nuanced and difficult to navigate subject matter. I will however say that for me, my concern is extremism and more specifically, extremism bleeding into the mainstream. People who get really mentally erect about something like The Camp of the Saints and feel the need to keep extolling their perception of its relevance are throwing up some serious flags of extremist views.

BTW: That's not Bannon's Facebook profile. His has his full first name and middle initial: Stephen K. Bannon.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

The fact that he's referenced it as much as he has is psychologically telling. It's certainly left a mark on his world view hasn't it just?

I probably could have just said that and Snarl wouldn't have dozed off.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hard to disagree with Bannon, it's certainly what the globalists are intending.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The book is actually pretty good. Many of its themes are prescient, and as a polemic, it has some shining moments. It gives a prophetic view of Western guilt, even if it does conflate, wrongly, the West with White. If one has the balls entertain the ideas, he can get past the racism to its main points.

There is no crime in alluding to that book—well, unless you are the thought police.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Honetsly I think the OP is hyperbolic. Sure there are those that think this book is racist. Academic types. You knowm the ones beating the snot out of conservative people that try to speak on campus.

I have never heard of the book, but is wikipedia page says people like William Buckley enjoyed it. I don't consider him a purveyor of racism.

I don't know if Buckley enjoyed it or not but I've read it. It's overtly and well, intrinsically racist. It's literally about the destruction of (white) Western Civilization by hordes of invading non-whites. It's also quite racist in tone. Here are a couple of examples of the dialog of the protagonists (full text here):

“Precisely. I’ve always led a rather quiet life. A professor of literature who loved his work, that’s all. No war ever called me to serve, and, frankly, the spectacle of pointless butchery makes me ill. I wouldn’t have made a very good soldier, I’m afraid. Still, had I been with Actius, once upon a time, I think I would have reveled in killing my share of Hun. And with the likes of Charles Martel, and Godfrey of Bouillon, and Baldwin the Leper, I’m sure I would have shown a certain zeal in poking my blade through Arab flesh. I might have fallen before Byzantium, fighting by Constantine Dragasès’s side. But God, what a horde of Turks I would have cut down before I gasped my last! Besides, when a man is convinced of his cause, he doesn’t die quite so easily! See, there I am, springing back to life in the ranks of the Teutons, hacking the Slav to shreds. And there, leaving Rhodes with Villiers de l’Isle-Adam and his peerless little band, Camp of the Saints 6my white cloak blazoned with the cross, my sword dripping blood. Then sailing with Don Juan of Austria, off to even the score at Lepanto. Ah, what a splendid slaughter! ... But soon there’s nothing left for me to do. A few trifling skirmishes now and again, none of them too well thought of these days. Like the War Between the States, when my side is defeated and I join the Ku Klux Klan to murder myself some blacks. A nasty business, I admit. Not quite so bad with Kitchener, though, skewering the Mahdi’s Moslem fanatics, spilling their guts. ... But the rest is all current events, a sad little joke. Most of it has already slipped my mind. Perhaps I’ve done my bit, killing a pinch of Oriental at the Berlin gates. A dash of Vietcong here, of Mau Mau there. A touch of Algerian rebel to boot. At worst, some leftist or other, finished off in a police van, or some vicious Black Panther. Yes, it’s all become so terribly ugly. No fanfares anymore, no flags, no hosannas ... Oh well, you’ll have to excuse an old professor’s pedantic prattle. But you see, I too have stopped thinking and just want to tell you where I stand. You’re right, I’ve never killed a soul. Much less any of the types I’ve just conjured up, all of them standing here before me, at last, in your flesh, all rolled into one. But now I’m going to live those battles over, all at once, those battles that I feel so much a part of, deep in my soul, and I’m going to act them out, right here, all by myself, with one single shot. Like this!”

“They’re like dogs, these Chinese,” the general answered. “They know how to swim from the minute they’re born. ... Listen, Zackaroff, don’t stop watching. You’ve got to be my eyes. I can’t bear to look. I never could pull the trigger when an animal looked me in the face. ... Anyway, don’t waste your pity. Don’t be fooled by those sweet little tots, those clean-cut girls and boys, those helpless-looking women! You can bet when we shoot up that crowd each one we kill will find just the right dramatic pose before they fall in a heap. Anything to impress us. With that faraway look in their eyes that they do so well. And the wounded ones will writhe at our feet, like no other wounded bastard you ever saw. Twenty lessons to learn the whole act, with group drills and practice sessions, and special instructors in make-believe. They love all that. And the ones that put on the biggest show, the ones that seem to be hurting the most, maybe won’t have a scratch. You won’t know who’s wounded and who isn’t. A real Chinese opera! You’ll see how much fun it’s going to be! ... What are they up to now, Zackaroff?”

The first two days’ hunt produced eloquent figures. And the sergeant of the hussars applied all his talent to keeping them in order—four vertical lines, neatly crossed by a fifth, drawn over and over—biting his tongue in rapt perseverance. A fine old tradition: the notches scratched into the butt of the rifle, the bombs painted on the rudders of the plane, the tank turrets covered with the silhouettes of tanks! Tally: Ganges, one hundred seventy-seven. Fellow travelers, sixteen.

“Just what do you mean by ‘fellow travelers,’ Sergeant?”

“Any white that’s gone over to the black side, Colonel. When I served in Chad I knew a few that would shoot us in the back. We called them ‘n####r-lovers.’”

“Nasty business!” the colonel replied. “But what’s the difference between the two?”

“Very simple, Colonel. ‘N####r-lovers’ are what they start out as. They wind up as ‘fellow travelers’ later, when there’s no more white left in them at all. Sort of the final stage, I guess. So as long as we’re going to kill them, I figure at least we should call them what they are. Anyhow, we picked off nine of them today, all with one round. Not to mention the forty-two Ganges bastards. The rest of them grabbed up the wounded and beat it.

It's not terribly long, check it out at the link above. The characterization of the non-whites throughout is essentially Godless savages who rut in excrement when they're not eating it.

And if we are goin to start judging people based on books or things like films that they like or quote, there may be some harsh times ahead for liberals.

How many movies paint conservative white people as evil? Should I denounce anyone who mentions the movie Red State as an anti white bigot?

Or was the movie Red State an artists exaggeration of a problem that he saw? Yet we can't give this author the sme benefit of the doubt?

If Bannon mentioning this book makes him a disturbing person, I shutter to think what the books and movies I like make me and everyone else.

This really isn't about shaming Bannon for his tastes in literature. He's not mentioning it, he's not even simply saying how much he likes it — he's repeatedly likened the real world to that of the book — and he's one of the biggest influences in the White House.

I think you'd be concerned if the WH Chief Strategist was a nutjob who thought Red State was an accurate depiction of the Christian Right. I certainly would be!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Templeton

If Shriver is correct, we aren't doing anyone any favors by simply burning it.

What I'm really driving at in the OP is that we can infer something about Bannon's worldview from his apparent fascination with this book.

Can we? Because by that logic, we might infer something about your sexuality from your apparent fascination with Trump/Bannon. It's nonsensical, isn't it.

This OP is a grasping at straws.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

No we had an attorney general that felt white people couldn't be the victim of hate crimes.

Again, others have read the book and they were not raving racist.

What you posted does make the book seem racist. However, I can take parts of Apocalypse Now where they call the Vietnamese all sorts of racial slurs.

I have never heard Bannon call any race those terrible names, so why should he bu judged by it. My understanding from the context of the Bannon quotes you have shown is that he is comparing our current situation with the unchecked immigration from third world countries in that book. And there are a lot of problems with unchecked immigration, we see it in Europe.

The fact that we can't even discuss these problems without the word racist being thrown around contributes to the problem. Even on this thread we have people that have never even read the book saying its indefensible.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Those quotes are of a vile fantasy of dehumanizations, lustful killing, and the celebration of murdering the "other" who is painted into such a wretched state that the murderer can claim an objectified pride in the deed, as if cleansing the Earth of vermin rather than the massacre of innocents.

It is Vomitus masterbatory prose red with imagined blood delighted in by the basest and cruelest of animal instinct, all the while projecting onto the other, the darker skinned, the Oriental or the Islamic, and of course the leftist, their own revolting and putrid state. They do not look at hordes of lesser peoples, but into the mirror of their own souls.

edit on 6-3-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

There is no crime in alluding to that book—well, unless you are the thought police.

Who said anything about a crime, thought or otherwise? Bannon is entitled to his beliefs — whatever they may be — just like everyone else. My issue is the worldview of one of a few principal advisors to the President of the United States of America and how it will influence policy and other decision making.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Who said anything about a crime, thought or otherwise? Bannon is entitled to his beliefs — whatever they may be — just like everyone else. My issue is the worldview of one of a few principal advisors to the President of the United States of America and how it will influence policy and other decision making.

I didn't mean a literal crime, thought or otherwise. But explaining figurative language to a literal mind is a fool's errand. I suppose you could argue Bannon will institute the opposite of what happened in book, or that he is racist or something, but again, that only works for the literal mind. Bannon was not being literal in any sense. He is very well-read, and allusion to works of fiction to evoke themes in the real world are not uncommon.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Jesus christ I hate other white people sometimes. Freaking out about loosing their world dominance and influence or whatever, or some imaginary "war" against them and their silly sky-god cults.

Dudes, get over yourselves. White people all up in arms at even the very notion of having to "share" Earth with non-whites.

If that's not an entitlement mentality I don't know what is.

If your culture is being "destroyed by rampant 3rd world immigration" ... then maybe your culture is pretty damn weak to begin with.

And I think right there is the underlying, unspoken insecurity complex with many of these hyperventilating racist white people.

These folks are freaking out because their entire lives they've lived with the impression that white people were in charge of the biggest companies, biggest and most powerful countries and religions. The fact that they're so easily toppled is terrifying and shows a huge weakness.

Well, wake up white people. Most of the world *isn't* white, and until you can build spaceships and colonize another world, we're all going to have to learn to share this one.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
Jesus christ I hate other white people sometimes. Freaking out about loosing their world dominance and influence or whatever, or some imaginary "war" against them and their silly sky-god cults.

I'm with you.

I'm so over "preserve the white race" arrogance.

And I'm descended from Pennsylvania Deutsch. With a touch of Irish.

edit on 7-3-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

Those quotes are of a vile fantasy of dehumanizations, lustful killing, and the celebration of murdering the "other" who is painted into such a wretched state that the murderer can claim an objectified pride in the deed, as if cleansing the Earth of vermin rather than the massacre of innocents.

You`ve just described Islam from Mohamad, you know what the majority of immigrants flooding into Western society believe in.

A man who as a refugee fled his home town because even the people he lived around sort to kill him, he and a smallish following went to Medina a place of 3 Jewish tribes, by the end of his stay he slaughtered all the remaining Jews and took their wives, either raped them or forced conversion.

He stole their land tortured a man by setting a fire on his chest, killed him and took his wife for his own, latter went back to Mecca and slaughtered all the people there, destroyed all their idols and kept one, the black stone, that is now on the corner of the Kaaba shaped into a woman's vagina that they caress and kiss and believe by walking around it, it sucks out their sins, that they pray bow down to and pray toward 5 times a day.

Amongst heaps more, I can see why people are very concerned and upset with their countries being flooded by them and saying its an invasion, while being called xenophobe or bigoted etc for speaking out against it.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

Hardly imaginary, but each to their own.

Dudes, get over yourselves. White people all up in arms at even the very notion of having to "share" Earth with non-whites.

Totally wrong, it has nothing to do with something as ridiculous as skin color

If that's not an entitlement mentality I don't know what is.

If your culture is being "destroyed by rampant 3rd world immigration" ... then maybe your culture is pretty damn weak to begin with.

Hooray something I totally agree with, our Christian based Western valued countries have been eroded purposefully for this to happen, high time not to be weak and make a stand.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
What happened to, don't judge a book by it's cover?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Since you went silent post-Feb. 23rd, when I dropped "Feature 1" of my "Double Feature"... I was worried about you. Glad to see you still hanging in there!

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

You're being hyperbolic here. There are a lot of early paralells to the European mass refugee crisis and the novel...

Soo, in this "novel", the fault for the refugee crisis in europe is a country that thought of itself it would be the greatest nation of all times? And created the European refugee situation with it´s megalomaniac military foreign politics in the middle east, where the oil is to find and rob?
And, for sure, to destabilize Europe, because nobody must be greater than that "greatest nation"?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join