It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not the sharpest knife in the cupboard...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There's that, yes.

As a staffer, I try and stay apart from taking sides. Not always easy, but worth the effort.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I have mixed thoughts on compromise. There are elements in government where it is very important and needed... conversely, there are issues on which it should NEVER be on the table. Anything involving rights, for example, shouldn't be subject to compromise. We have, in the USA< the RIGHT to keep and bear arms. To that end, I demand any politician I vote for takes an iron clad, will not budge one fraction of an inch, obstructionist position against gun control and infringements on the 2nd. I feel similarly on any issues that directly redistribute my hard earned money from my wallet into the wallets or accounts of any I feel are undeserving or unreturning of the money. This includes welfare, most global warming initiatives, foreign aid to nations not reciprocal to us, etc.

So yeah, not real big on compromise myself. It usually strikes me that political compromise almost always consists of the liberals demanding they either be given something or something be taken away from Conservatives while conservatives fight to reduce the cost to conservative voters... OK, any manner of compromise on our part in those scenarios equals a loss of money, rights, time, convenience, etc while the liberal "concessions" on their side are almost always just them getting a bit less of what they wanted, but still getting something. That's just some mutant offspring of extortion and grift and has no mutual benefit to it whatsoever. It's like the school bully walking up to a kid and saying "Hey, I'm mad so I'm gonna kick you in the nuts." but eventually being compromised down to just an atomic nougie. End result is that the kid still gets abused by the bully, just not as bad. I dream of a world free of abuse and full of personal freedoms and responsibility.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

There's that, yes.

As a staffer, I try and stay apart from taking sides. Not always easy, but worth the effort.

Heh. I like having an opinion. I honestly come to this site to pass the time while in between tickets at work (I work for an IT department doing helpdesk among other stuff) so that is one of the reasons I'm glad y'all have never approached me about being a mod. I feel like I'd have to decrease my post output and it would be boring if I couldn't interject as often as I do.

Though I'm sure there are more then a few on ATS who would love for me to interject a bit less.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So yeah, not real big on compromise myself. It usually strikes me that political compromise almost always consists of the liberals demanding they either be given something or something be taken away from Conservatives while conservatives fight to reduce the cost to conservative voters... OK, any manner of compromise on our part in those scenarios equals a loss of money, rights, time, convenience, etc while the liberal "concessions" on their side are almost always just them getting a bit less of what they wanted, but still getting something. That's just some mutant offspring of extortion and grift and has no mutual benefit to it whatsoever. It's like the school bully walking up to a kid and saying "Hey, I'm mad so I'm gonna kick you in the nuts." but eventually being compromised down to just an atomic nougie. End result is that the kid still gets abused by the bully, just not as bad. I dream of a world free of abuse and full of personal freedoms and responsibility.

Keep in mind that Bush entering Iraq was a compromise on the Democrats' part. But see this is what I'm getting at. You view compromise as a loss for you when it is supposed to be a happy middle ground for both sides and you convienently forget about the times that liberals compromised their ideals for conservatives.

What you are saying is that things should be your way and only your way and they should never change, but our country wasn't built like that. Even racism/slavery was built on compromise with the 3/5ths compromise. That's in the Constitution too, by the way. Speaking of strict interpretation.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

You're neglecting the backbone of conservatism, though. I don't embrace change quickly or happily, and that's very much a partisan issue by it's very nature. You have one party pushing hard to change *Fill in the blank* and one party that is happy with *Fill in the blank* as it is. The "happy middle ground" for those pushing for change means they're still getting some portion of what they want, but I am LOSING a portion of what I already had and was happy with. "OMG I get to keep part of something I previously and unquestionably already had!!!" isn't a normal reaction for anyone not living with some twisted Marx-like hive mentality.

Slavery and sufferage delves into the areas where I absolutely believe both parties should work together and make compromises, because they are issues of personal rights. (Note, and goddamit it sucks to feel the need to say this, I'm talking about historical issues of civil rights and liberties, NOT the mamby pamby bullsnip that's monopolized the news of late involving thin skinned, loud mouthed, entitled pricks that want it all and cry racism anytime their all isn't freely spoon fed to them. That's not civil rights, nor is there ANY place for compromise when dealing with those nothings.)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

It's hard to believe the "you like things the way they are" argument when your guy in the White House represents tearing everything both parties fought and compromised over the last 100 or so years completely apart because reasons. Like I said, your attitude of no compromise whatsoever is contributing to the stagnation of today's politics. If you don't want to admit this and stubbornly be you, fine. But don't expect things to change for the better any time soon.

Say what you want about the Democrats being corrupt, but I bet dollars to donuts that next election they'll make a WAAAAAY better attempt at reaching out to non-college educated whites. They still may not care about them like they don't care about any other demographic outside of getting votes, but they'll definitely attempt to court them.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

That is the thing... both parties do not compromise when they should, democrats compromise when they should not, and stand fast when they should consider a compromise.

The republicans primarily just stand fast since they are the smaller voting base and have been for some time... There is a reason why in my parents time independents were by far the smallest voting block... now republicans and democrats are shrinking, while more people are going without a party affiliation, or declaring independent, or third party.

we are being played and we the people continue to fall into the same I am voting against them mentality rather than I am voting for X because I believe in what they stand for. (using general terms not you specifically)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

ATS used to hate sheeple and mock lazy thinking

it has been taken over by the alt-right nut jobs

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

This is why we really should push to have a three party system. Any more parties and it would be too many, but with three you still have several competing opinions but you also have the odd number to prevent gridlocks and encourage compromise.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

ATS used to hate sheeple and mock lazy thinking

it has been taken over by the alt-right nut jobs

Wont fully refute that just suggest an adjustment of some pretty serious left wing nutjobs have started popping up as well... neither side has clean hands in this.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is why we really should push to have a three party system. Any more parties and it would be too many, but with three you still have several competing opinions but you also have the odd number to prevent gridlocks and encourage compromise.

I agree completely... I have decided to stand with a third party and as soon as I am stateside my spare time will be spent working with them to try and help make that happen.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Say what you will, but I can defend my positions and stances dating back to my first posts on ATS 9 years ago.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Great post. Kinda sharp, imho.

Too bad about the polarized mudslinging that followed so very swiftly.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
That problem is that we've all been brainwashed.

You get brainwashed when you listen to propaganda over and over again.

The propaganda we're being brainwashed with is from the media we consume. A liberal who hates conservatives will have too much MSNBC, Bill Maher, Huff Post etc, a conservative who hates a liberals will have too much fox news, talk radio. Neither side realizes that we're all Americans with only a few policy differences.

The solution is to not listen to any pundits or propaganda agents. I don't listen to any news of any kind. Of course I read a few articles but it's a broad spectrum, no on air pundits...that's how you get brainwashed.

The problem is that those amungst us who are brainwashed don't realize it.

It's like a Cult. The people in the Cult don't realize it but the rest of us do!

How can you tell? People who love Hillary Clinton...They were brainwashed. They don't see here as establishment. Any one who uses the term Libtard has been brainwashed. It's pretty easy to see. It's easier to see on the conservative side, of course...they're a little more hateful and antagonistic, vocal...they're insults are much better, like "Obummer"...that's a good way to tell.

The ones on the left are a little more difficult, but still fairly easy to tell, they think they are liberal and progressive but they hate the green party. Just ask a liberal how they feel about the green party, the only truly liberal party there is, and if they hate it, they've been brainwashed.

What I'm getting at is that there's a disconnect. The brainwashed liberal isn't really liberal or progressive. The brainwashed conservative, is too hostile and willing to believe corporate propaganda to truly be a rugged individualist or a true conservative.

Both sides fail to realize that we're all Americans, not republicans and democrats. They fail to realize that in real situations, like the army, in combat, it makes no difference if you voted for Obama or Romney.

The solution? Basically you talk to someone that partisan just like you talk to someone that is in a Cult. You don't ask direct questions. You support them but don't accuse or directly confront them, it will only drive them away. Build trust by talking about commonalities. Listen to them without openly judging them. Without making this post too long you would look up Cults and how to rescue Cult members in google and that should help us.

edit on 6-3-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Great post. Kinda sharp, imho.

Too bad about the polarized mudslinging that followed so very swiftly.

Pretty much why I put it in the mud pit, expected it to happen sooner or later...

But maybe the thought can germinate and help initiate change.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Honestly, there's been no mudslinging in this thread. If political differences of opinion and discussion of the same in a relatively respectful manner constitutes "mudslinging" in your view, you might be part of the more serious problem in American politics: the inability to discuss differing political opinions without taking the discussion personally.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Ok mudslinging is probably the wrong word, but it went to politics from the word go, I was not looking to assign blame I feel there is plenty of that to go around... I miss the ATS I saw when I arrived here late to the party, I hope one day we can return to things like Aliens, ancient civilizations, big foot... the matrix theory, mixed in with threads about breaking new space discoveries etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

...If political differences of opinion and discussion of the same in a relatively respectful manner constitutes "mudslinging" in your view, you might be part of the more serious problem in American politics: the inability to discuss differing political opinions without taking the discussion personally.

Nice horse you got there, big guy. Sure you're getting enough oxygen?

I know you didn't ask, but I will explain my thoughts further. Seemed to me the OP was asking for a return to critical rationality - and a retreat from side-taking and polarized discussion. I heard that as a plea to forget the Parties, and get back to the conspiracies, which we all know cross both sides of the aisle.

Are we not supposed to be the awake people, the more aware of the seedy under belly of world politics...

yet just like the rest of the populace we have chosen are side and we are digging in to defend it.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It wasn't a smear tactics against the Clintons, Bill earned every bit of that main stream news while Hillary pulled his strings from off stage.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

...What I'm getting at is that there's a disconnect. The brainwashed liberal isn't really liberal or progressive. The brainwashed conservative, is too hostile and willing to believe corporate propaganda to truly be a rugged individualist or a true conservative.

Both sides fail to realize that we're all Americans, not republicans and democrats. They fail to realize that in real situations, like the army, in combat, it makes no difference if you voted for Obama or Romney.

The solution? Basically you talk to someone that partisan just like you talk to someone that is in a Cult. You don't ask direct questions. You support them but don't accuse or directly confront them, it will only drive them away. Build trust by talking about commonalities. Listen to them without openly judging them. Without making this post too long you would look up Cults and how to rescue Cult members in google and that should help us.

Thoughtful post. GREAT advice.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join