It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phone Hacking - First News Report?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Anyone recall the first news article on phone hacking? I need help finding a particular article.

The first time I ever read a news article was roughly 10-13 years ago and it occurred to a teen-age girl at a high school. I remember the details as the following: she began receiving voice mails of her recorded conversations between her and her family along with threatening voice mails she was going to die. The hackers also sent her photos of her that they were able to take while her phone was turned off. The phone in question was not a smart phone and I believe was an older flip phone. Apparently, this went on for months.

The case eventually escalated to the level of the FBI where the story pretty much ends but I do recall a comment from the FBI investigator was something along the lines of, "We have no idea how they (the hackers) did this".

I cannot locate the news article so if anyone can assist then thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

Is it this one?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Is it this one?

No but that one is somewhat similar. You did, however, make me recall that the carrier was AT & T and they as well were completely unsure how the hackers were able to do this.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Interesting. Well about 15-20 years ago something called the Anarchists Cookbook
became available online.
It taught me how to do a lot of crazy things.
By todays standards its relatively tame.
But back then, the name of the book suited it perfectly.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I'm about to put an antenna on my TV tower on the house so I can watch the androids drive by my house on my computer for a greater distance.

I would probably be a "blackhat", but my morals are not compromised enough yet.

...Yet...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
generaly you can hack phones(not like the government can mind you,but you need physical access in 90% of the cases or you need to use the (blanking on the name) exploit where you send them a script that discretely installs the program on their phone good deal of androids are susceptible to this ,most iphones would need to be jail broken for this to work BUY if you can get a key logger installed on their phone or already have their icloud credentials you can pretty much get all of them forwarded to your phone and or PC . i only know this because my ex used a few programs to monitor my cellphone when she thought i was up to no good(i was not lol) only sign something was on my phone was increased battery usage but she could read every text message i sent or received FB and FB messenger etc and could access my emails . if you think your phone has softwear like this on it make sure to do a factory reset and it will clear all of the programs and they cant do it any more. and if you think you had this stuff on your phone change your passwords from a different device . jail broken or rooted devices are more susceptible then stock phones

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Sudo Sudo

That Belushi guy knew what was up before the internet even too ROOT.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The reason I listed the original question is I am trying to determine when the first actual news report of a phone being hacked and remotely operated occurred to the public's knowledge. The remainder of the story goes something like the FBI thought that due to the childish nature of the threatening calls it was most likely other teen age hackers. Apparently this girl was well liked and really didn't have any enemies and these hackers just wanted to pick on her.

What was interesting (aside from the remote operation of the phone) was that both AT & T and the FBI were stumped on how this could even be possible. My conspiracy senses tell me two young hackers found a way into what AT & T and the FBI already knew existed so they played dumb. Point being is that the collection of our data has been going on for much longer than anyone has ever thought possible. With the advent of smart phones it is just that much easier for the data collection.

I still would like to find that original news article. It may even be as long ago as 15 years or more now that I think about it. I said earlier the phone was a flip phone and I am pretty sure it was one of the older analog flip phones. Like when camera phones first came out. What year was that when they became mainstream?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Interesting. Well about 15-20 years ago something called the Anarchists Cookbook
became available online.
It taught me how to do a lot of crazy things.
By todays standards its relatively tame.
But back then, the name of the book suited it perfectly.

Poor Man's Armorer was another, had them both. Also Abbie Hoffmans, Steal This Book. Black Art of Death series, others.

used to be able to buy them at gun shows, long, long ago...

Or any variety of Military field manuals about expedient mayhem (where most of the info came from org.), lol.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13

originally posted by: intrptr

Is it this one?

No but that one is somewhat similar. You did, however, make me recall that the carrier was AT & T and they as well were completely unsure how the hackers were able to do this.

In that linked article they said they were cutting lemons and somebody texted about "liking lemons". They could have been outside the house spying on them and simply texting what they saw...

.o2

top topics

join