It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea fires four missiles

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's the mission that the RC-135U performs. The Combat Sent is absolutely covered in receivers and antenna. When a suspected SAM site is found, Combat Sent goes in and flies towards it, and tries to get it to bring up the radar and any other emitters it has. They grab every signal it emits, and can analyze it, and figure out what's transmitting.

That sounds a lot like what my dads unit was doing in Viet Nam with jeeps... drive in and radio triangulate launch sites..

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

They took a lot of the lessons from doing that, and converted it to aircraft, with better technology. A lot of the doctrine that they use today has its origins from Vietnam. The Wild Weasels, Combat Sent, etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The Japanese can reach out and touch North Korea, too. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Japan were to have a little somethin' somethin' stashed away in a hanger somewhere capable of growing mushrooms in North Korea. Even if they don't, the United States does. Japan is, aside from Great Britain, our closest ally, along with South Korea. Treaty obligations would instantly kick in were North Korea to attack Japan.

What Japan can't do, the US can...and almost certainly would.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The US is talking about upping the ante in the region. They're considering talking to South Korea about moving some of those special weapons that are no longer in Korea back to the peninsula.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The US is talking about upping the ante in the region. They're considering talking to South Korea about moving some of those special weapons that are no longer in Korea back to the peninsula.

Can you disclose your sources?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I caught wind of this this afternoon ... and wondered to myself why it was just now that this subject was coming up again. Then I remembered the last 8 years and it made sense.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Public Source

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Yea......we nuke NK and the Chinese have their way with us.

And there's no way China will allow the US/SK to do a pre-emptive strike.

I dunno, but the whole regions stinks of "fail" in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Yea......we nuke NK and the Chinese have their way with us.

And there's no way China will allow the US/SK to do a pre-emptive strike.

I dunno, but the whole regions stinks of "fail" in my opinion.

China gets the final word on what the US/SK decide to do? Not sure if thats the way it would work.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

It's an extremely complex relationship. China is trying to control North Korea as best they can, while preventing the US and ROK from starting a war with them. They want the DPRK to stay in place, because it acts as a buffer zone between the US/ROK and them. But at the same time, they're getting seriously frustrated with the DPRK, because more and more people are illegally entering China, and the leadership is listening less and less to the Chinese government. Both the US and ROK know that if they start something, and if China does come in on the DPRK side again, it would be as ugly, or uglier as the first Korean War. So everyone tries to pussyfoot around the 600 pound gorilla, while getting what they all want.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The bloodshed would be x times worse than in 1950's. And it was a hell of a blood. China had no problem going against UN and nukes with Soviet cover. People should see some documentary to refresh the memories. Did years of airstrikes solved much in Syria? Nuclear option is simply the best one. The only one. I'm almost sure that's the plan because they have nukes and no one is ready to lose hundreds of thousands of men. Or a million of civilians. China won't like it but who cares, they won't do anything stupid. There sure is a plan for them too.
edit on 6/3/2017 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar and improvement

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

We should fire a bunch of missiles their direction and plop them just outside their waters for fun.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Things have changed since then. There's no guarantee that China would come in on North Korea's side the way they did in the 50s now.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Why do people insist upon saying the Chinese will have the Russians on their side? That is hardly a foregone conclusion. What is the notion even based on, forty year old propaganda? Wishful thinking?

The Bear and the Dragon are at best, uneasy allies. China has had it's eyes on Siberia and the wonderchest of minerals and assorted other things that are abundant in the region, or so it's guessed. Russia knows this. The only thing keeping China from moving north, at the moment, are those nukes that Russia has.

Nukes as the best option? Channeling your inner-Gen. "Buck" Turgidson, are you?

China won't do anything stupid, when a neighbor/sometime ally is being nuked, they're not going to do anything... That is what they call wishful thinking.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Could of also been an IRBM.

A shorter range missile. But it can hit targets around 3500 to 5K kilometers away.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

There are other weapon systems that could be used now a days. Nukes are useful i guess but there are other more 'interesting' things that have been used once and had catastrophic effects in NK. i'd love to see a full use of some of the DEW and particle beam weapons used on NK.

The only worrying thing is the artillery aimed a Seoul.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

It would depend largely upon what is happening. A full scale invasion of the north? They come in. Nukes, as posited earlier? They come in, with nukes of their own.

Contingent, of course, upon how this conflagration would have started...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

If the US and ROK agree to a DMZ, that gives China the buffer they want, then I think that they could keep China out, or get them on a limited role in whatever happens. That's the key, is that China needs that buffer zone.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

They could call it the Yalu Zone.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The north's only card is the fact Seoul is in range of their artillery.

I would bet with THAAD going in and the PATRIOT systems and with other 'special' weapons there/on there way, and with Kadena not to far away the south is in good hands

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join