It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea fires four missiles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
North Korea fired four ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan. It's not clear what type of missiles they were, but three of them traveled almost 700 miles before impacting into the ocean, impacting less than 200 miles from the coast of Japan. Based on the range to the impact, there's a good chance they were Rodong missiles. The Rodong has a max range of 1500 kilometers.

North Korea has fired four ballistic missiles into the sea off Japan's northwest coast, South Korean and Japanese officials said, days after the reclusive state promised retailiation over US-South Korea military drills it sees as a preparation for war.

Seoul said four missiles were fired from North Pyongan province into the East Sea on Monday and that South Korea and the US were "closely analysing" tracking data for further details.

Seoul and Washington began annual joint military exercises last week - something Seoul has long condemned as a deliberate provocation.

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Reminds me of this:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Thanks Zaph. That seems like a pretty long range. What do you think the significance is, if any? This seems to me to be pretty normal/routine activity from the Norks.
edit on 6-3-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I don't remember every single missile test, but I don't recall them hitting an area this close to Japan before. That's got to be close enough that more than a few people in the Japanese MoD are going to be really nervous and start looking at their options.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
200 miles.....that's too dang close.....what a world....

They're probably all sqinched up right now....I would be

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Ongoing provocation by NK insanity. WE will have to terminate the threat before they can reach us with nuclear weapons.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Not sure what time it is in SK, but -

Responding to the missile tests, South Korea's National Security Council convened an emergency meeting at 9 a.m.

Source

So it must be at least somewhat significant.

Interesting. Trump recently stated that NK was the biggest threat to national security. I don't have a source for that right now, but I heard it very recently.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

They usually have a meeting after any kind of test, but this one really pushed the limits. They landed several missiles just off the Russian coast, in their waters, but they've never been this close to Japan, going on previous missile tests that I did a cursory look at. This isn't going to spin into a major incident, but South Korea and the US both are trying to figure out exactly what kind of missiles they were, and if they worked as designed.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Good looking out, please keep us updated on the matter!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

What would China be thinking of this?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
200 miles.....that's too dang close.....what a world....

Exactly what I was thinking!

What if one of the missiles had a warhead, and flew another 90 seconds, into the Japan mainland! Does Japan not have a defense system of ANY type, to shoot down incoming missiles?

Would the USA sit idle like this and watch a ballistic missile coming straight for us?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I'm confused. How can you decide max missile range by where a missile lands?

and yea this is the worst aware of as well..

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Japan has us anti ballistic missile systems.. at least Patriot missiles in any case ..
I was hoping to be stationed there haha..

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

In the article I linked above, I was just skimming and overlooked that it said this:

South Korea's military initially told the Yonhap news agency that at least one of the missiles "could" have been an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM)

THAT is a problem in my humble opinion...What do you think?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I don't remember every single missile test, but I don't recall them hitting an area this close to Japan before. That's got to be close enough that more than a few people in the Japanese MoD are going to be really nervous and start looking at their options.

This is closer than I remember, also. China is letting Lil' Kim pressure us but should be reining him in at some point. Maybe his facility will have a nuclear "accident" someday or he will get Tokarev poisoning and there will be a new dear leader. Kim needs to go before NK is in such bad shape that their best option appears to be invasion of SK.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

North Korea is really pushing it with this one, it's typical for them to sabre rattle a lot in March because of the joint US/SK annual drills, but firing a missile 200 miles off the coast of Japan...ballsy. I would expect additional sanctions to be implemented from this test, and more pressure put on China to tame their rabid neighbor.

Then again, since this is a conspiracy site, maybe China was the one that directed them to do this to use it for leverage in the South China Sea. China tames NK in exchange for the US backing off a bit there.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

lul newbz

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs
a reply to: carewemust

Japan has us anti ballistic missile systems.. at least Patriot missiles in any case ..
I was hoping to be stationed there haha..

Thanks for that reply/information. OK then.. when do they launch to intercept??? Like most countries, Japan has cities right along the coast. Wouldn't you want to attempt to stop a medium or long-range incoming missile before it gets within 200 miles of the coast, just in case your first attempt doesn't work?

The Japanese Prime Minister (Mr. ABE) just held a live briefing. HE IS ANGRY. The USA is pledging to protect Japan. Why should we get involved if Japan doesn't try to protect itself against incoming missiles. They have enough warning to do so.

edit on 3/6/2017 by carewemust because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
No word on what happened to the fourth? Failure at the launch pad or fizzled out shortly after takeoff?

75% success rate would probably be pretty good eh?

Any idea if we typically have 100% success when test firing missiles?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
As much as the PTB would like a controlled burn ...

A wildfire may achieve a similar mayhem ...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join