It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Defendants In Oregon Wildlife Refuge Occupation Found Not Guilty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
NPR News. Oct 27th, 2016:

In a surprise verdict, a jury has found all seven defendants not guilty of charges linked to their 41-day, armed occupation of Oregon's Malheur National Wildlife Refuge earlier this year. The courtroom quickly descended into chaos.

The decision could "have huge implications on the militia movement as well as the federal government's control of millions of acres of public lands in the West," as NPR's Kirk Siegler reported.

The seven defendants were acquitted of the main charge of conspiring to impede federal employees from doing their jobs. As The Two-Way has reported, some defendants also had been "accused of stealing government property and carrying firearms at the refuge." One of the defendants, Ryan Bundy, was charged with theft of government property, but the jury did not reach a verdict.

www.npr.org... tm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2053

The article adds that though the trial lasted six weeks, the jury returned a verdict in less than six hours. Apparently one of the jurors was replaced at some point during the proceedings, as it was found that he had previously worked for the Bureau of Land Management.

Ryan and Ammon Bundy were retained in custody to face charges pertaining to the 2014 standoff in Nevada in which they were involved. Ammon's lawyer, Marcus Mumford, became rather upset when his client was not released.

Even so, Ammon Bundy's lawyer Marcus Mumford told the judge following the verdict that "his client should be allowed to go free," OPB reported.

Judge Anna Brown "told Mumford that his client was not allowed to leave, but the attorney persisted, raising his voice as he argued with the judge," OPB reported. "The incident ended with Mumford being tackled by several U.S. marshals and Brown clearing the courtroom."

OPB's Amelia Templeton said marshals used a Taser on Mumford during the scuffle.

More than two dozen people have been charged, the article says. Some have pleaded guilty. Others were to be tried in February as of last October when the article was written. It also adds that charges against Pete Santilli were dropped.

Defendant Neil Wampler speaks as he leaves federal court Thursday in Portland, Ore.-Don Ryan/AP

Hurray for them, I say. Hurray for us, that we still have a country that will acquit them. Poor old Bundy brothers, looks like they'll be cooling their heels for awhile yet, until this whole thing gets sorted out. I'm sure they knew they would most likely end up having to pay the piper for their actions in 2014, so this is probably not unexpected. I think their bold actions last year were brave and admirable, a noble sacrifice to better our country, I don't care what you guys think! Just kidding, actually I do care what you guys think. So what do you think?
edit on 5-3-2017 by TheBadCabbie because: eidt

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The Bundy Boys are being punished without Due Process. Everyone can see it.

I won't condone the actions of either side, but what the government is up to is the same kind of crap that got Randy Weaver's wife murdered by a cop, and a religious cult all burned up. And what happened then? Timothy McVeigh!!

When the Militia attack, I hope the government doesn't look my way expecting support.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Glad to see this !!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this. If I remember right they wanted the use of Gov't land to graze cattle? What if I want to use the same land for wild beer drinking naked sex orgies?

Do they have any more right to use it than I do?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Can they now sue the government for unlawful imprisonment and violation of their rights?

top topics

join