It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Want to Build a Super-Fast, Self-Replicating Computer That "Grows as It Computes"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: savemebarry

Hey, just make a baby.

Try playing COD on a baby and you'll get arrested.

OP, that TED video was interesting. And if it is accurate that self learning computers will become better exponentially, it will indeed be a world changing thing... out performing humans at every level. It's both a futuristic nightmare, and fascinating..

Interesting times ahead, for sure.

Out performing humans? Many inventions do that already. Cars, aircraft, phones, appliances... (insert any machine here)

Hmm, do they need a human to do the things they do, inadequately. ? *My windows 10 wants to update, I dont know what to do, boooo*

and we're not actuallly discussing common things, but intricate things, they take people away from workable things. So a system that can identify a known cancer, in weeks, that takes humans months to identify, is bad because skynet and terminators... Sheesh..

Helpful, benevolent, benign?

Not wen you consider the finest inventions, the most complex and expensive are used to kill or enslave whole peoples.

because that's what we are describing. Controllerbots.

Hey do I know? no... but I like my phone. and if people said at the time I cant have a camera, music player, device I can do pretty much what I want to with, I'd still be using a phone that just makes calls.

Is that bad? tell me in your dial up modem, sometime.

The crap about "AI" machines is designed to deflect away from the reality that machines already automate death and destruction on a massive, controlled scale, controlled by human robots that push buttons, pull levers and squeeze triggers by remote, by rote.

Well, guess what, that's gonna happen anyway. what do you think a friggen BOMB is. but a remote way of killing people beyond using a sword.

Sheesh....
edit on 6-3-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

...these things will happen sooner than we think and ...will change our world in a drastic way.

I think so too.

[bump]

edit on 6/3/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Right. They do all of that. What those machines don't do is learn from it. That's the difference. To continue down this road is foolish and at our peril.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

So a system that can identify a known cancer, in weeks, that takes humans months to identify, is bad because skynet and terminators... Sheesh..

Yes benign helpful benefactor hi tech saving humanity. In reality the highest tech is used to destroy nations.

Besides, only the rich can afford such life saving aspects of medicine.

The rest of us get substandard care.

Well, guess what, that's gonna happen anyway. what do you think a friggen BOMB is. but a remote way of killing people beyond using a sword.

But thanks for agreeing with me anyway.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Was watching RT last night, they had on a guest interviewed about automation, discussing the same exact thing you are, his time frame was 5 to 10 years...

I think the show was "boom bust"(?)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Was watching RT last night, they had on a guest interviewed about automation, discussing the same exact thing you are, his time frame was 5 to 10 years...

Don't get RT, sorry I missed it.

...A lot of techno-possibilities have been blocked by governments to protect populations, and by industry to protect (play out) investments. Now, the lid is off, not sure why, and the 'transition' is accelerating 0 to 120 right off the start line. In a short while, we won't even recognize our world.

I don't advocate trying to stop it (no point, wasted energy). Nor do I think 'war' will rescue our failing economies (old world strategy, won't work except to preserve some illusions for a short while).

The thing to do imho, is to wake up, deal with reality and rethink society. Sure, a relatively few people will be able to retrain and preserve a position in the economic mainstream, but most will not.

It's glaringly obvious to me that we need to totally re-conceptualize our (indoctrinated) Protestant work-ethic, and re-apply it to other forms of productivity, including entirely personal ones (like education, art-making and so on).

It's also obvious that we will need to institute a 'social security for all' plan that circumvents the need for really expensive and top-heavy bureaucracies to apply means and other tests, and the predictable corruption that comes along with it. Yes - there should be a cap, but simple tax assessments would flag individuals that need to return benefits.

In short, we could create a rather wonderful world that benefits everyone, not just the 1% and a few flunkies.

edit on 7/3/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Im thinking some kind of grey goo scenario should this type of technology ever come to fruition.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Im thinking some kind of grey goo scenario should this type of technology ever come to fruition.

That's sort of the indirect point of both books I listed. In one, they introduce a new laptop that's powered by a DNA based computing system that's inside of tailored cells. The laptop's CPU is powered by a food cartridge, an oxidizer cartridge, and a waste cartridge. The CPU would grow to meet the sort of demand you put on it. Over time, each user's Tyger II would 'evolve' to be exactly what that user needed.

What they didn't expect is that the Tyger II's CPU cells would become infectious, leave the laptop and infect the user. Then network all the users together. And trim out the parts of the users they didn't need anymore.

Bear's vision was a bit more apocalyptic. Once the DNA based computational cells disassembled every bit of organic life on the planet, they started having quantum level issues. There's such a thing as 'over observing', wherein normal quantum processes become stagnant if a system is observed too many times too rapidly. That one has a sort of "Childhood's End" ending where the mass consciousness has to move everything to a Hilbert space.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

yeh dude we are the biological machines running those programs already

we have just been given enough consciousness to communicate with each other , but ultimately we are slaves
for something unknown , we are here terraforming earth for some reason
and arent smart enough to realise we are robots ourselves with pre determined code

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I agree. The problem is the current paradigm is stomping out the independence of small civilizations, consolidating power and production to the few, marginalizing the many and enslaving them to the system, worldwide.

This occurred in Vietnam for instance. Before the US invaded, the village hamlet was the way of life. There was no capital city (saigon), just the independent village hamlet that had everything it needed, produced all its own food,. handled every emergency on their own, provided for the less fortunate on their own. A small enclave, surrounded by growing fields, if there was an emergency somebody rang the town bell and everyone came running. There was no central gubment, just an interlinked small village community.

The US saw that as weakness, un able to defend against a super powers army. In the end, the super power was sent packing by the individual efforts of small unit tactics.

The same superpower today uses the same subversive tactics to topple other "regimes" that refused to capitulate, Like Qaddafi, for instance.

I don't see an end to this trend until the world rises together, forms an ally base like during WWII to defeat the current Empire.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Still thinking about this, and see issues. ...Yes, DNA is conserved over millions of years, BUT it is not stable in the 'environment' and degrades rather quickly - so, we can say DNA needs to keep growing to preserve its integrity/stability.

Also, DNA requires proteins in order to replicate. Problem is, proteins are not particularly stable in the 'environment' either, and also degrade or mutate on various exposures, including with temperature changes.

However, prion proteins are incredibly stable, do survive intact in the environment and can survive incredibly extreme exposures to everything from heat and cold to radiation to chemical assaults. And unlike DNA, they're really cheap to produce.

I can only conclude that a successful "DNA computer" will rely not just on synthetic DNA but also synthetic prion proteins (to initiate and sustain the needed replications).

An amalgamation of the OP's DNA-based computer with this protein-based biocomputer - and of course, synthetic prion proteins - is the obvious way forward. Maybe the two teams are already in negotiations and the big hold-up is just $, not the tech.

Keep getting back to those pesky prions. Sorry. But it's a no-brainer.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

...The problem is the current paradigm is stomping out the independence of small civilizations, consolidating power and production to the few, marginalizing the many and enslaving them to the system, worldwide.

...I don't see an end to this trend until the world rises together, forms an ally base like during WWII to defeat the current Empire.

Yes, I agree. But you do know the current paradigm is corporate, and the global "Empire" is run by corporations, right?

Hence, the problem is legal - and so is the solution.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

...The problem is the current paradigm is stomping out the independence of small civilizations, consolidating power and production to the few, marginalizing the many and enslaving them to the system, worldwide.

...I don't see an end to this trend until the world rises together, forms an ally base like during WWII to defeat the current Empire.

Yes, I agree. But you do know the current paradigm is corporate, and the global "Empire" is run by corporations, right?

Hence, the problem is legal - and so is the solution.

If you say so. I note there is a lot of illegal violations of international law (called "interventions") going on.

Toppling sovereign governments seems to be a favorite pastime of these elite. They use NATO as an enforcement branch, the bill footed by US and EU taxpayers, not the corporations.

When they tried to protest on Wall Street the police showed up to defend the bankers.

You can look to the legalese but they control the legislators thru pacs too.

Im afraid if you want to stop Cesars, Hitlers, Mussolinis and the like, you have to hunt then down and execute them.

Or have a quick kangaroo court first.

Remember Romania's Ceausescu ? Him and his wife were dragged out behind the courthouse and riddled with bullets.

Difficult to watch in its entirety, but those that consider trying to change totally ruthless power structures need to address the issue before its to late...

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: PRSpinster

Right. They do all of that. What those machines don't do is learn from it. That's the difference. To continue down this road is foolish and at our peril.

Well said, to the point.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Great conversation, but we're hijacking a good thread. u2u me with a better location?

Back on topic:

Still thinking about this, and see issues. ...Yes, DNA is conserved over millions of years, BUT it is not stable in the 'environment' and degrades rather quickly - so, we can say DNA needs to keep growing to preserve its integrity/stability.

Also, DNA requires proteins in order to replicate. Problem is, proteins are not particularly stable in the 'environment' either, and also degrade or mutate on various exposures, including with temperature changes.

However, prion proteins are incredibly stable, do survive intact in the environment and can survive incredibly extreme exposures to everything from heat and cold to radiation to chemical assaults. And unlike DNA, they're really cheap to produce.

I can only conclude that a successful "DNA computer" will rely not just on synthetic DNA but also synthetic prion proteins (to initiate and sustain the needed replications).

An amalgamation of the OP's DNA-based computer with this protein-based biocomputer - and of course, synthetic prion proteins - is the obvious way forward. Maybe the two teams are already in negotiations and the big hold-up is just $, not the tech.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Just saying... Replicating cell division is not a 'no brainer'. Like formation of seeds, eggs and DNA itself, this is a complex process, the basic building blocks of life.

And you're correct, DNA is short lived due to decay in living organisms such as cells.

Now if we can only locate that fountain of eternal life...

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

The premise of the technology puts me in mind of an old Amiga game called "Starflight 2".

That was all about runaway grey(might have been green) goo destroying a planet.

edit on 7-3-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join