It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Want to Build a Super-Fast, Self-Replicating Computer That "Grows as It Computes"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I get the impression "scientists" have done this before.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Replicators, The Borg, No.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Welcome to the future folks! This sounds like some Krypton type stuff.

Scientists say it's possible to build a new type of self-replicating computer that replaces silicon chips with processors made from DNA molecules, and it would be faster than any other form of computer ever proposed - even quantum computers.

Called a nondeterministic universal Turing machine (NUTM), it's predicted that the technology could execute all possible algorithms at once by taking advantage of DNA's ability to replicate almost perfect copies of itself over billions of years.

These scientists clearly haven't heard of Skynet or the Matrix, where's Sarah Connor and Neo when you need them?

There are some things we can do with science that we just shouldn't do. Self aware, self replicating computers is one of them...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

"Lucifer AKA the devil" is fake.
The technology is very real.
You think a super intelligent computer is a Bad thing?
Just take a look around and give humanity a grade on what we have done.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
okay...one step closer to human extinting....humans are logical the weakest chain.....

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Self replicating? Lol. What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

OK, explain to me how this won't be misused. Or get beyond our control... Humanity has had such great success making sure tech isn't misused in the past...only this tech might just be able to get pissed off about it.

Go ahead, oh sarcasm-master, explain away!! Take all my fears, and make 'em go away. Until you do so, I'll reiterate, just 'cause we can, does not in any way mean we should.

If we need a self aware computer to make our medicine for us, make the trains run on time, etc... That's quite pitiable, obviously thinking is beyond us.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I dunno, we wont? it's not how that works. Misused? like guns? cars? pretty much every technological advance we've made from carrying buckets of water on our heads for 5 hours?

Rockets... they get us into space, or blow up regions.

The one thing I don't agree with is denying technology just because some people are skeered. Go ride a horse and buggy, and trade grain with the English, if you want to be like the Amish..

Technology is not something to deny or inhibit. But I'm sure caves were nice before air conditioned homes.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
If we need a self aware computer to make our medicine for us, make the trains run on time, etc... That's quite pitiable, obviously thinking is beyond us.

How often do you use your abacus, may I ask?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Do you not see the potential danger here .

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Good find!

...I still wonder about DNA's durability tho. What is it? About 3 months?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

originally posted by: intrptr

Hey, just make a baby.

Try playing COD on a baby and you'll get arrested.

OP, that TED video was interesting. And if it is accurate that self learning computers will become better exponentially, it will indeed be a world changing thing... out performing humans at every level. It's both a futuristic nightmare, and fascinating..

Interesting times ahead, for sure.

Out performing humans? Many inventions do that already. Cars, aircraft, phones, appliances... (insert any machine here)

Helpful, benevolent, benign?

Not wen you consider the finest inventions, the most complex and expensive are used to kill or enslave whole peoples.

The crap about "AI" machines is designed to deflect away from the reality that machines already automate death and destruction on a massive, controlled scale, controlled by human robots that push buttons, pull levers and squeeze triggers by remote, by rote.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Anyone familiar with Dune? It sounds like they are proposing to build Omnius.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: neoholographic
Welcome to the future folks! This sounds like some Krypton type stuff.

Scientists say it's possible to build a new type of self-replicating computer that replaces silicon chips with processors made from DNA molecules, and it would be faster than any other form of computer ever proposed - even quantum computers.

Called a nondeterministic universal Turing machine (NUTM), it's predicted that the technology could execute all possible algorithms at once by taking advantage of DNA's ability to replicate almost perfect copies of itself over billions of years.

These scientists clearly haven't heard of Skynet or the Matrix, where's Sarah Connor and Neo when you need them?

There are some things we can do with science that we just shouldn't do. Self aware, self replicating computers is one of them...

Good points but the cat is already out of the bag.

Deep Learning has really advanced over a few short years. One self replicating computer that can execute all of these algorithms at once would be both amazing and frightening.

You have A.I. that can beat humans at Go or Poker with incomplete information. You have one set of algorithms that can learn to play Atari games without any instruction.

Add that to a self replicating computer that grows as it computes and superintelligence is much closer than we think.

I do think this is inevitable. I don't think there will ever be a Star Wars or Star Trek situation where humans, as we are now, travel through space. I think the purpose of the universe or universes is to process vast amounts of information and I think every intelligent society will reach a point of superintelligence.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Yes. Time to embrace our future and figure out how to control it. Denial ain't at all productive.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Yes. Time to embrace our future and figure out how to control it. Denial ain't at all productive.

Exactly and there's a lot of denial. The list of intelligent algorithms that can outperform humans in areas of intelligence is growing.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
All you have to do is build a robot to stack raspberry pi's and hook up all the cables and power.

AI already is becoming capable of self coding, and writing code for other machines is only a minute or so away.

With the frequency wall and the literal physical limits being reached, until new tech comes along to squeeze more processing power into a smaller place, we'll be stuck with parallel computing.

That archaic parallel computing is obsolete the day it's perfected...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I swear these morons will not stop will they? Anything that uses DNA to expand will consume other forms of life to do so. And what is just chok a blok full of DNA? HUmans and animals.

Well at least I know how i twill end. Horizon:Zero dawn i s right on the money. Machines will devour us all and no one will be left alive.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Good find!

...I still wonder about DNA's durability tho. What is it? About 3 months?

armored dna strands last longer. lol.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Do you not see the potential danger here .

Mate, I see the potential danger of the guy next door.

Should I fear him??

That's not even the point. we're talking about things that will help - or are you willing to stop driving a car, using the internet, and all the hokus pokus people once said was gonna be the end of us all?

Man... on the one hand we praise Tesla for his insight, on the other, we scream down new things... Heck no, embrace it and make it right. it's going to happen anyway.

edit on 6-3-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join