It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Want to Build a Super-Fast, Self-Replicating Computer That "Grows as It Computes"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Welcome to the future folks! This sounds like some Krypton type stuff.

Scientists say it's possible to build a new type of self-replicating computer that replaces silicon chips with processors made from DNA molecules, and it would be faster than any other form of computer ever proposed - even quantum computers.

Called a nondeterministic universal Turing machine (NUTM), it's predicted that the technology could execute all possible algorithms at once by taking advantage of DNA's ability to replicate almost perfect copies of itself over billions of years.

www.sciencealert.com...

Imagine this computer with the latest A.I. software running on it. You would have superintelligence on a self replicating computer that could execute all possible algorithms at once.

I'm convinced that humanity only has 30-60 years left as a species. The technologies on the horizon will not only change the world but it will change who we are on a fundamental level. Here's more:

They say that regular computers - which are classified as universal Turing machines (UTM) - can be converted into nondeterministic universal Turing machines (NUTM) using a programming language called Thue.

Invented by software engineer John Colagioia in early 2000, Thue programming language can take strings of alphabet symbols and rewrite them in different orders to create completely separate strings for a self-replicating form of data processing.

Because multiple Thue rules can be applied to a single string, and individual Thue rules can be applied to multiple positions in a string, the computing possibilities are virtually endless.

The team has also demonstrated that DNA is physically strong enough to act as processors in this set-up - something that previous experiments have also shown - and say it's now up to someone to actually build this thing for real.

That's probably many years off yet, but if the researchers are correct in their assumptions, we've just been given a roadmap to the sickest, strangest, and most intimidating computer system ever.

www.sciencealert.com...

Here's a Ted Talk by Jeremy Howard called The wonderful and terrifying implications of computers that can learn. Jeremy is an Australian data scientist, entrepreneur and the youngest faculty member at Singularity University.

If you want a general knowledge of Deep Learnin watch the video. It's only 19-20 minutes long. He talks about how these things will happen sooner than we think and how they will change our world in a drastic way.

A computer that could execute all of these deep learning algorithms at once and replicate itself will be something to see.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

We are those computers.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hey, just make a baby.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Now imagine a virus running on it.
Neat.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah, about this. I've read it already, it generally turns out really badly.

Read also:
Human Error by Paul Preuss
Blood Music by Greg Bear

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Someone needs to send these people a copy of Dean Koontz "77 Shadow Street".

Or then again, maybe we don't need to give them any more ideas...

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Why?

Have we reached such a low point that we need machines to do our thinking for us now? Is life so quick moving that we can't keep up? Maybe we need to slow it down a trifle then.

I don't like this.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
How long does it take for it's algorithm logic to conclude humanity is an unwanted virus?

And if it does, isn't that the same as Lucifer aka the devil?
edit on 5-3-2017 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

That's a very good question, isn't it? Or should be.

I'd still love to know why they even think something like this is even necessary. Is thinking getting that hard?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Is life so quick moving that we can't keep up? Maybe we need to slow it down a trifle then. I don't like this.

Same here. What future are they railroading us into without us knowing the bigger picture!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
How long does it take for it's algorithm logic to conclude humanity is an unwanted virus?

The consensus amongst hard sf writers seems to be that the budding DNA computer logic decides that it'll take us along with it into the shiny new future, although maybe not quite as intact as you might have wanted. Which is its own little horror concept.

What would its interpretation of an upgraded human be? Preuss thought it would find the thing you're best at, keep that, and trash the rest. So you end up as a sort of redacted savant. If the network needs calculus equations, the remains of the math people do that. If it needs to interpret art, the artsy bits of the artists do that. But nothing else remains of them.

Bear sees the thing as eventually discovering we're even HERE, which it wasn't aware of at first, and then it finds how to infest every cell of your body, figures out your 'programming' and stores you away somewhere for later use.

In trying to be beneficent, both AI/DNA systems miss the point and end up mangling the people they're trying to save for posterity. At least in Bear's version you might end up running most of the time in a sort of Matrix-y shell environment. Or maybe not.
edit on 5-3-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

If that ain't nightmarish, I don't know what is.

Just 'cause we can do something, doesn't necessarily mean we should...

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Stop the planet please, I would like to get off now! This is a truly terrifying concept. Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. I hear the faint theme of "The Terminator" playing in the distance.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see what type of aetheric/astral/other? critters "ensouls"/"comes to live in" these organic computers. . . .

With luck it will be a true horror and they will learn a short, sharp lesson.

With really bad luck it will be an extinct, really smart critter/sentience.

I really doubt it would be a nice one. Unless they get help that is.

What an opportunity for someone or something.

So who's gonna rescue them? The critters I mean. . . .

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Welcome to the future folks! This sounds like some Krypton type stuff.

Scientists say it's possible to build a new type of self-replicating computer that replaces silicon chips with processors made from DNA molecules, and it would be faster than any other form of computer ever proposed - even quantum computers.

Called a nondeterministic universal Turing machine (NUTM), it's predicted that the technology could execute all possible algorithms at once by taking advantage of DNA's ability to replicate almost perfect copies of itself over billions of years.

www.sciencealert.com...

Imagine this computer with the latest A.I. software running on it. You would have superintelligence on a self replicating computer that could execute all possible algorithms at once.

I'm convinced that humanity only has 30-60 years left as a species. The technologies on the horizon will not only change the world but it will change who we are on a fundamental level. Here's more:

They say that regular computers - which are classified as universal Turing machines (UTM) - can be converted into nondeterministic universal Turing machines (NUTM) using a programming language called Thue.

Invented by software engineer John Colagioia in early 2000, Thue programming language can take strings of alphabet symbols and rewrite them in different orders to create completely separate strings for a self-replicating form of data processing.

Because multiple Thue rules can be applied to a single string, and individual Thue rules can be applied to multiple positions in a string, the computing possibilities are virtually endless.

The team has also demonstrated that DNA is physically strong enough to act as processors in this set-up - something that previous experiments have also shown - and say it's now up to someone to actually build this thing for real.

That's probably many years off yet, but if the researchers are correct in their assumptions, we've just been given a roadmap to the sickest, strangest, and most intimidating computer system ever.

www.sciencealert.com...

Here's a Ted Talk by Jeremy Howard called The wonderful and terrifying implications of computers that can learn. Jeremy is an Australian data scientist, entrepreneur and the youngest faculty member at Singularity University.

If you want a general knowledge of Deep Learnin watch the video. It's only 19-20 minutes long. He talks about how these things will happen sooner than we think and how they will change our world in a drastic way.

A computer that could execute all of these deep learning algorithms at once and replicate itself will be something to see.

I think quantum computing is the future and i dont see this taking off so well as it would simply create life and process it's self into something most likely its creators human beings or in a horrible turn of events it would cross it's self with multiple strong animals lol or bugs ect.

If it was smart it would just create a highly contagious parasite that allowed it to control humans like we control robots in a strange turn of events this would most likely be this computers version of an internet where it could rewite the code within humans to advance it's self or its objectives.

The attack could be effective in many areas ie sexual reproduction or transmitted through animals or insects ect. It is the worst idea ever in terms of security.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Hey, just make a baby.

Try playing COD on a baby and you'll get arrested.

OP, that TED video was interesting. And if it is accurate that self learning computers will become better exponentially, it will indeed be a world changing thing... out performing humans at every level. It's both a futuristic nightmare, and fascinating..

Interesting times ahead, for sure.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Why?

Have we reached such a low point that we need machines to do our thinking for us now? Is life so quick moving that we can't keep up? Maybe we need to slow it down a trifle then.

I don't like this.

So rather than have medicine more efficient and prognosis made at the earliest stages, we keep an already strained medical profession hindered ? Or perhaps negative eugenics to slow things down ?

Personally, I don't think we've been able to keep up with life for a long time now. Slaves to a job that we perform simply to perish in the end anyway, fine for some, but others like a little quality of life also.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Or god.

The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away... and all that killing in the old testament.

I for one, welcome our new Intel Overlords.

Oo

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: TinfoilTP

That's a very good question, isn't it? Or should be.

I'd still love to know why they even think something like this is even necessary. Is thinking getting that hard?

If it wasn't for that gosh darn printing press being invented, we'd not have any of this problem today. It was up to the church to teach you to read... If no one could read, they wouldn't be making super computers that will inevitably control us like cattle, so once again we can blame the bible for everything before us..

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: seagull

Is life so quick moving that we can't keep up? Maybe we need to slow it down a trifle then. I don't like this.

Same here. What future are they railroading us into without us knowing the bigger picture!

Rail Roads... why can't people just walk any more. Has it all come down to this..

*toot toot*

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join