It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Off and Running With Amazon Web Services

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Facebook feels like it's become something else, and may have ulterior motives.

Using facebook for anything other than facebooking is like using a ferris wheel for astronomy.

It's good for likes, shares and icanhazcheezeburger memes, but everything is controlled.. I've posted things that concerned global events only to never see them appear in my feed. Only if I specifically looked at my wall, so it never made an audience, unless someone thought "I really feel like seeing what Steve has posted lately..." usually stalkers or fake profiles.

I've never trusted Amazon either. Ever since they wouldn't let me be an Amazon Mechanical Turk

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Wasn't amazons cloud service/Internet down recently? Like a major outage. Of these guys are hosting government sites could they have been compromised?

link
edit on 6-3-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
I mentioned this in another post. I strongly doubt CIA Is comingling sensitive data in the same cloud that others would subscribe to. I know of banks who have leased the technology to on-premise but would absolutely never consider allowing their data to reside on a multi-tenant cloud host.

If anything, CIA is giving people a false sense of security by asserting they use amazon cloud without disclosing it's on-premise so people feel comfortable putting their own sensitive data in a managed infrastructure that they presumably already have AI to monitor and data mine.

They are using Amazon technology, but they are not hosting on Amazon public servers.

From the source in the OP:

Wolfe describes the implementation as very much a custom build. It brings the flexibility and agility of the public cloud on-location, behind the CIA's very thick firewall in Langley.

"We're … putting together this public cloud on private premises," he says. "The idea is to be able to take the best of the public sector — we're going to lift it and sort of place it behind our fence line, if you will, but then be able to operate them for the intelligence community on our premises."

edit on 3/6/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Thanks for your input, BlueAjah.

What does this part mean, in your opinion (especially the highlighted part)?

we're going to lift it and sort of place it behind our fence line, if you will, but then be able to operate them for the intelligence community on our premises."

Would the AWS people doing the operation be required to have security clearances?

edit on 6-3-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

WikiLeaks, which claimed to have gotten the files from a current or former CIA contractor[/ex]

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

originally posted by: gription
a reply to: queenofswords

He's a lefty. It kind of fits.

You do know that the CIA has a long standing relationship with far right wing organizations, both abroad and here in the US, right? Generally speaking, often the CIA and NSA are considered more right wing organizations in their global and domestic outlook.

I don't think the right wing analogy is accurate anymore. The defining terms that align with the CIA and NSA would be neo-con and Globalist. If you look at todays politicians you will find both Democrats and Republicans agreeing on topics related to these concerns when they have no other common ground.

That may or may not be true. Neo-con refers to old school right wing by the way... As in neo-imperial.

The CIA has as six decade history of overthrowing often left wing governments, including democracies, and actively supporting right wing dictators.

The history of Latin America alone supports this strongly.

This may be uncomfortable for many of the conservatives on ATS, but it's unfortunately true.
edit on 13-3-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

Facebook feels like it's become something else, and may have ulterior motives.

Using facebook for anything other than facebooking is like using a ferris wheel for astronomy.

It's good for likes, shares and icanhazcheezeburger memes, but everything is controlled.. I've posted things that concerned global events only to never see them appear in my feed. Only if I specifically looked at my wall, so it never made an audience, unless someone thought "I really feel like seeing what Steve has posted lately..." usually stalkers or fake profiles.

I've never trusted Amazon either. Ever since they wouldn't let me be an Amazon Mechanical Turk

Yes, I get that. I don't trust it though.

I've occasionally posted more revolutionary things on FB, such as AS a liberal, criticizing corrupt Hillary Clinton. Even when I post things about my kid or cool events, many of my friends will tell me that my posts don't show up on their feeds. Good friends.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Adding this to this older thread for information purposes:

Amazon's cloud business acquired Sqrrl, a cybersecurity start-up that spun out of the National Security Agency. The deal comes as Amazon Web Services aims to pick up more business from U.S. intelligence agencies. In November AWS announced the formation of a "secret" region of data centers meant to handle computing and data storage jobs from those clients. Based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Sqrrl had raised $26.5 million in funding from Spring Lake Equity Partners, Matrix Partners, Rally Ventures and Accomplice.

www.cnbc.com...

Slippery slope?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join