It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel gives green light to decriminalize marijuana use

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is a story I would have had a hard time even imagining not to long ago..
ca.news.yahoo.com...

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - The Israeli government voted on Sunday in favor of decriminalizing recreational marijuana use, joining some U.S. states and European countries who have adopted a similar approach.

Sounds good on the surface until the details are revealed

According to the new policy, which must still be ratified by parliament, people caught smoking marijuana would be fined rather than arrested and prosecuted. Criminal procedures would be launched only against those caught repeatedly with the drug.

Well...at least it is a start and much saner than locking some one up IMO.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's pretty interesting to even see this happening, but few things still don't make sense.

I don't understand how something is decriminalized but still able to be fined, if it's not a criminal act, why the fine?

Because it's more profitable to just hand out a possession tax than it is imprison them?

Why wouldn't they just open the doors and allow for businesses to capitalize upon it? Seems much more money could be had then, there is something more to all this.

edit on 5-3-2017 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
It's pretty interesting to even see this happening, but few things still don't make sense.

I don't understand how something is decriminalized but still able to be fined, if it's not a criminal act, why the fine?

Because it's more profitable to just hand out a possession tax than it is imprison them?

Why wouldn't they just open the doors and allow for businesses to capitalize upon it? Seems much more money could be had then, there is something more to all this.

its decriminalized in my state but we still face fines.
i am not saying i agree but i understand.
decriminalized and legal are different things.

some things are not considered a criminal act but you will still face fines.
traffic # like seat belt violations.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

As a person with experience, plenty of it... I'd say that cannabis is capable of messing you up.

Anything you put into your body has the potential to have adverse side effects. Alcoholism is still a major problem worldwide, more so in places with less historic usage.

The problem I've always seen is substance abuse, if cannabis was legalized without really good education I'd fear that mental health issues would have a drastic spike.

Caffeine addiction brings on a myriad of side effects, alcohol does and so does cannabis.

I think we need to look at why we binge drink or abuse substances more tbh. Because recreational use can easily and quickly become reliance.

Just look at the energy drink phenomenon. I've worked with people who cannot do a day's work without 1 or 2.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I can understand that it just seems weird a bit, so is it ok if they have it and just can't be out in public or it's a no no all around just not as big of a issue.

a reply to: RAY1990

I certainly agree with your thoughts, Anything used as a treatment of symptoms and not a cure is a problem is you use it like a cure and ignore all else.

The Energy drinks are akin to the soda and vape fads, I still don't know about vaping, isn't that solution condensing in your lungs and is it safe in the long run?

Energy drinks and their effects of the liver and kidneys would be my main concern.

Our culture is what depresses people, we don't have a sense of unity anymore, unless you join one of the sides yelling at one another.

I think the moral of the world is suffering.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

It depends where you look in terms of morality, much more is acceptable these days and you can't blame a person for getting in on the fun.

But I agree somewhat.

I really don't know much about vaping, I do however know that living in a moist damp environment can be bad for your health.

Vaping is essentially breathing in warm/hot water carrying nicotine and flavour. Not dissimilar from a fog machine.

I'd at a guess say it would depend on exposure/use, moisture on the lungs isn't good but then again neither is smoking.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Decriminalized pretty much means your safe provided you dont light up in a policemans face or in a school.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Isn't it wonderful that we have access to those awesome products? Going through life sane and sober is no fun at all. As always, balance and moderation are very important though.

Now sugar and easy carbs, those will drag you through a long miserable life of pain before you reach the date of expiration.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

It depends where you look in terms of morality, much more is acceptable these days and you can't blame a person for getting in on the fun.

But I agree somewhat.

I really don't know much about vaping, I do however know that living in a moist damp environment can be bad for your health.

Vaping is essentially breathing in warm/hot water carrying nicotine and flavour. Not dissimilar from a fog machine.

I'd at a guess say it would depend on exposure/use, moisture on the lungs isn't good but then again neither is smoking.

"really don't know much about vaping"

You should've just stopped there as opposed to continue spreading misinformation.

Don't like vaping? Don't vape.

Revolutionary concept, I know, but in America.... there's this little thing called freedom.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

During the weekly cabinet meeting in Jerusalem, ministers approved the proposed guidelines on decriminalization put forward by Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan (Likud) and Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked (Jewish Home), allowing for the establishment of an interministerial committee of directors that will decide how best to implement the measure.

Speaking ahead of the meeting, Netanyahu said that government would not rush forward with decriminalizing cannabis. “On the hand one, we are open to the future,” he said, adding that “we also understand the dangers and we will try to balance the two things.” However, the move by the cabinet drew criticism from legalization campaigners, who said that recent last-minute changes to the proposals had undermined the effectiveness of it.

Nothing is done in Eretz Yisrael without the " Committee "

Maybe by the time the Mashiach arrives , they'll come up with a solution.

edit on 5-3-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Funny, I'd say that doesn't sound a whole lot like "decriminalization"

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

I'm free to post on thread's and give my opinion, I'm free to vape too, have done and know a few people who do... Funny thing is they all prefer a good cigarette instead.

Maybe you need one too, your post seemed a bit stressed... Aggressive even.

In all honesty I'm all for vaping, it's a much healthier option but it isn't for me.

a reply to: ClovenSky

All in moderation

Humans have been searching for recreational stimulants since we became humans most likely, even longer.

We ain't the only species either that accepts a life of sobriety, catnip comes to mind.
edit on 5-3-2017 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2017 by RAY1990 because: More to add

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Now I sit here tapping my feet waiting for the UK government to do such a thing ... hurry up damnit

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

As a person with experience, plenty of it... I'd say that cannabis is capable of messing you up.

Love how you preface that comment with "experience, plenty of it" implying abuse rather than use.

Perhaps it was you who was capable of messing yourself up, and now blame something else.

Take responsibility. Now I'm not preaching, I'm an alcoholic. I abuse alcohol. But that's on me, not jack daniels or jim beam. Plenty of people can partake and not get messed up. I think jumping out of perfectly working planes, can also mess you up, but I don't claim planes can mess you up.

It needs to be 100% legal. Regulated and without the shady criminal element involved. Simple, no other way. And my hope is that in time it will be.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Energy drinks and their effects of the liver and kidneys would be my main concern.

What is it about energy drinks that does this damage, that you don't seem to mention Starbucks or the local bean store where connoisseurs gather to buy their favourite coffee beans?

You do know that it is simply caffeine in energy drinks that is the stimulant. If you bring up taurine, I will hold you to a debate on that, because the ignorant claim that it is taurine that is a stimulant and hence the problem, is utterly refuted, scientifically and anecdotally. Speaking as someone who uses pure taurine as a supplement for it's actual anxiolytic benefits.

top topics

join