It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RT beats BBC, CNN with 18 nominations in prestigious New York Festivals finals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The RT network has been nominated in 18 categories of the New York Festivals awards for the world’s best TV and film work. It is now competing for the main prizes in more categories than some of the other major international channels, such as BBC and CNN.

RT has previously won prestigious prizes at the international competition. In 2014, RT’s documentary on vendetta traditions in Chechnya, Blood and Honor, received an award at the New York Festival, while Julian Assange’s program for RT won a prize the year before. Last year, RT grabbed top prizes in four categories.

Source
RT is my preferred news outlet and when I post a thread I tend to use them as a source. Every now and then I see someone who makes claims that RT isn't a legitimate outlet, or it's just Putin-controlled anti-American propaganda... This thread is for you naysayers.
RT is up for awards for the world's best tv and film work in 18 different categories - more than other established MSM outlets such as CNN or BBC. I suppose it's not surprising when their journalists are so serious about their work that they're willing to put themselves at the frontlines of the chaos in Syria just to show the world what's happening.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I would not hang my hat on any one source however if all I had was CNN I would not wear a hat.
Good for RT they do some interesting documentaries.
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

As far as international news, the quality of journalism from RT is second to none, well done to them

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Best to get all sides of a story, RT presents better forensic evidence than most.

Boots on ground journalism, expose documentaries, countering the western main stream.

Still, it is as jaded sometimes as the west. Hear both, then make up your mind.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

They do.

The BBC has it's HARDtalk platform, that's pretty good with some excellent interviews but as far as I know it's only ever aired in the early hours of the morning.

Nearly every time I've watched American news it's basically sensationalism, pushing narratives and/or supporting an angle.

They all do that of course, even the BBC despite it's ethics and the public breathing down it's neck.

Channel 4 news can be ok for us British folk bit then that's a very time related viewing platform.

I love hard-hitting and even controversial documentaries/investigations. They exist from all news platforms I'd assume... It's just catching them.

I always liked the way RT air's it's most recent documentaries every couple of hours. But that being said I really should utilize the internet more than my TV.

Can you get BBCi player in the US? Tech talk is always a good watch.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I get everything around here if I have time to watch.. However most of my news comes from the net.. News broadcast take to long usually but I do tend to find time for documentaries

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Russia Today (RT.com) Is Russia's Propaganda Channel - "Truth is not the mission at RT"

SkepticOverlord

Russia Today, or as many know it, RT.COM, is the state-funding propaganda machine from the Kremlin's Ministry of Mass Media, with direct oversight from Putin. Through a relatively well conceived strategic plan, RT.com has covered news and issues that resonate well with a disenfranchised US millennial audience, as well as a broader US segment who identify better with global viewpoints than they do with provincial viewpoints. This strategy has resulted in a strong audience affinity, and a great many people never realized RussiaToday/RT.com is state-run propaganda from Russia.

An iconic quote from the movie, Red October: "Russians never even go to the [bathroom] without a plan," is a real-world sentiment from the days of the cold war. Russia Today and the US-centric focus of RT.com is part of a long-term plan to shape opinion through lies and twisted facts, in preparation for this moment in history -- new Russian imperialism and expansion.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

RT.com is part of a long-term plan to shape opinion through lies and twisted facts

Basically you could insert any number of Western MSM outlets with 'RT.com' and it would be totally accurate. Being in the U.K., the BBC immediately springs to mind. RT has set a benchmark in journalism and it's totally understandable with they would be hated

edit on -216002017-03-05T12:02:10-06:000000001031201710032017Sun, 05 Mar 2017 12:02:10 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

MSM are corporate outlets, from Fox news to CNN and so on, all whom have their own bias and agendas but to praise RT as being above them all is completely ignorant.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
RT have their bias for sure, but not even close to being as corrupt as the main US networks.
The constant propaganda against them only strengthens their network and widens their reach. Being called propaganda by CNN for example is a huge endorsement.

Good for them. I really enjoy Cross Talk and The Max Kaiser show.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

MSM are corporate outlets, from Fox news to CNN and so on, all whom have their own bias and agendas but to praise RT as being above them all is completely ignorant.

The West is very ignorant of Russia as most people don't understand or speak Russian, or to a lesser extent understand the history of Russia. Western media certainly took advantage of this and to a large degree said what they liked about Russia, who are of course an ideal enemy to promote by some in the West. RT is a response to this and it's only fair that a Russian perspective is added. I'm not saying Russia is corruption free and we can have a debate on most corrupt countries some other day, but truth is a universal concept that extends beyond borders, on international news, RT is very good.

Think this is relevant to the thread:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
As Swills pointed out, RT has been discussed at length here and we're on a conspiracy website.... and the RT-propoganda is a deep and endless rabbit hole.

The thing about RT is that I enjoy their content over any American mainstream outlets, but that is exactly why I personally feel the need to question their agendas/spin.

It's all spin and entertainment in the lowest form.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

RT is funded and paid for by the Russian state. RT is strictly for propaganda but to be fair, the US & western friends, China, South Korea, North Korea, and so on all engage in propaganda. But to ignore that RT as a source of Russian propaganda aimed at the US is ignorant.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

RT is funded and paid for by the Russian state. RT is strictly for propaganda but to be fair, the US & western friends, China, South Korea, North Korea, and so on all engage in propaganda. But to ignore that RT as a source of Russian propaganda aimed at the US is ignorant.

I'm not ignoring, but I am accepting the quality of journalism

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Nobody cares that BBC is "state owned". Nobody cares that CBC is "state owned".

It's a problem that RT is "state owned".

So far, "state owned" has been far superior to "private enterprise", across the board, when it comes to news.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I wouldn't trust them on topics on concerning Russia.
Honestly I can't trust any outlet on Russia.

Russia is just too distant, not as far and closed as China but still.

In general Rt has to be more truthful than typical MSM, their product is much more elastic.

Hosting 3rd party debates and their host of other contrarians helps openness for citizens and helps weaken the establishment for Russia. Plenty of real bad stuff happens in the US as it is.

top topics

join