It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Earthquakes: Oklahoma’s Risk “Now Equal to That of San Francisco”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The problems with "fracking" at least in Oklahoma (not even mentioning poisoning well water). There is now a direct correlation in reduction of wastewater injection with a reduction in earthquakes in the region (you think?).

I am all for utilizing our natural resources when it is safe to do so. Injecting waste water into the ground which causes seismic problems and poisons the ground water is not so safe in my opinion. (I would prefer Algae Oil production in New Mexico)

Could Artificial Earthquakes Trigger Disaster? Oklahoma’s Risk “Now Equal to That of San Francisco”

www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/could-artificial-earthquakes-trigger-disaster-oklahomas-risk-now-equal-to-that-of-san-francisco_03032017

Despite the fact that Oklahoma has a very low risk for naturally occurring earthquakes, the state is experiencing more than just about anywhere else.

This chart, from a single day in 2015, shows how on a day where California sees several significant earthquakes, Oklahoma has dozens, perhaps hundreds of minor earthquakes.

With enough persistence, this is multiplying the region’s chances for these artificially-induced tremors to trigger a massive response from nature. As pressure points are set off, larger eruptions sometimes take place.

In the absolute worst case scenario, what would happen if a large enough earthquake – set off by fracking activities – where to set off a the fuse on the New Madrid fault, where a state over, one of the most critical danger spots for a large scale, mega-disaster to take place.

Oklahoma’s Corporation Commission set up regulatory restrictions on the industry requiring a 40% reduction of wastewater well injection activities, which has corresponded in a proportional reduction of earthquakes there – from a peak of about 4,000 per year in 2015, to something closer to 2,500 in 2016, still a huge problem.

So far, artificial earthquakes have not exceeded 5.6 in magnitude, meaning that the chances for a truly catastrophic emergency from fracking activities remains very low for the moment. However, the fact that an earthquake this large was recorded and attributed to non-natural causes raised eyebrows, making us all wonder how far things will go.

edit on 5-3-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Normally when concerning natural earthquakes , small ones ease pressure that cause big ones...I'm not sure if that applies to fracking

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't see much good in the Fracking of the earth. Water is much more important than gas for heating our homes. The cheaper gas means we may just waste more. I thought initially that these induced quakes might help to ease the stress, but upon further research I now feel they may be actually be increasing the risk of major quakes occurring. By freeing up the tension the plates can move quicker and actually accentuate the intensity of a big quake by fault lines. So wherever there is a fault line, the quake duration will get longer and cause more damage.

(post by gription removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gription
a reply to: infolurker

Nonsensical lies. You repeat this?

Is this the best you can come up with for a rebuttal?
No facts, no links, just calling him a LIER!
Pathetic, just pathetic!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

His(her?) statements are baseless. The Ring of Fire In the Pacific is quite well known. To equate middle american geography to that is almost insane.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
All I know is, it's not very smart to pump ANYTHING into an area so close to a WIDELY KNOWN FAULT LINE?!?!?!?!

The New Madrid Fault Line

This fault line is already WELL KNOWN and has even been stated that IT WILL CAUSE LARGE EARTHQUAKES IN THE FUTURE

In a report filed in November 2008, the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake or greater would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure.[20] The earthquake is expected to also result in many thousands of fatalities, with more than 4,000 of the fatalities expected in Memphis alone.

You don't need to be a scientist to know that, ANY underground activity near this fault line is just tempting fate and in reality setting us up for disaster.

Educate yourselves!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The doom stories are thin like water these days on ATS..
This story have nothing in it..

(post by gription removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gription
a reply to: Violater1

His(her?) statements are baseless. The Ring of Fire In the Pacific is quite well known. To equate middle american geography to that is almost insane.

Whatever.
The New Madrid EQ was a 7.9 and centered in the middle of the CONUS.

It is connected to the Reelfoot Rift that travels right into OK.

When the New Madrid lets loose, a 7.9 in the center of the CONUS would cripple our country.
Deny Ignorance!
edit on V252017Sundaypm31America/ChicagoSun, 05 Mar 2017 13:25:58 -06001 by Violater1 because: Deny Ignorance!

(post by gription removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Injecting waste water into the ground which causes seismic problems and poisons the ground water is not so safe in my opinion.

If it's done right, it will never poison the ground water.
The waste water you are talking about, where does it come from?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That is a tale,it could mean that a larger one is building up,no proof small quakes relieve larger ones,and really makes me think if the government allows this,they could care less about the surrounding areas and the inhabitants,could put them at major risk,I grew up in So Calif,been through many quakes,and the homes here and Japan are the best sesmic constructed homes,we get a lot of damage,can you imagine if same happened in mid west,houses would fall like matchstick homes,very devastating,and the fault they are on produced the worst quake ever recorded,San Andreas can only go up to a 7.3 which is a major quake,but the New Madrid who knows what it is capable of,someone is playing with fire,it could be the equivalant of a nucleur bomb

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't see much good in the Fracking of the earth. Water is much more important than gas for heating our homes.

North American energy independence is important to national security.
Fracking, done right, presents no issues to the nations water supply.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
The doom stories are thin like water these days on ATS..
This story have nothing in it..

Just like the Trump bashing threads eh

On topic...fracking is a disaster waiting to happen, and no doubt injecting that waste water back into the ground will affect us for centuries to come, as rickymouse points out, clean water is worth far more than gas.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

I don't see much good in the Fracking of the earth. Water is much more important than gas for heating our homes.

Done right ?

Is that some kind of back handed joke ?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: D8Tee

Done right ?

Is that some kind of back handed joke ?

Whats your issue with fracking? Let me guess, you have watched Gasland and formed an opinion?

no doubt injecting that waste water back into the ground will affect us for centuries to come

Answer me this, where did that water being disposed of come from in the first place?
edit on 6-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

My issue with fracking is it is unsustainable and destructive, we both know the politics of money re more important than doing the job properly . My background is in horticulture and land management and no i haven't seen either of those shows.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Answer me this, where did that water being disposed of come from in the first place?

The ground water gee i wonder where it came from

The water is clean when extracted and poisonous when it is returned....pretty simple stuff

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join