It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorance in Action at High Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Ok I've seen a lot of classic examples of ignorance in schools. A while ago I made a non-rant thread about the realation of teachers and ignorance. It did a lot to sway my opinions. At first I believed that it was the fault of the teachers. Now that I have matured I have figured that it's a combonation of teaching and parenting in the early stages. Then by the end of high school students are fueling their own ignorance.

Now kids are thinking that it's cool to be stupid and many students are switching to being conservative. I don't see anything wrong with a political opinion, I'm slightly conservative myself. However what I'm seing is fascism and nazism instead of typical conservativism.

Now kids are drawing swastikas in class, making fun of the Jewish etc. And when I say swastikas being drawn they aren't the good luck kind. How many of you have ever tried to stand up for gay rights while in school. It's disasterous, you can't show any sympathy for them without being accused of being gay.

One classic example is one day I'm debating that the bill of rights has virtually no actual power. Yes I was feeling a bit liberal that day, however I felt that I made some fair points, examples including the Patriot Act. Anyhow I'm discussing this and all of a sudden I'm accused of being gay because I don't believe in the power of the bill of rights. It's bad enough that people can call you pinko commies about stuff like that, however being accused of being homosexual is going a bit too far.

Good God the High Schoolers are going the crapper, ignorance is easily taking hold of our schools. What do we do now that our education system is corrupted by ignorance. It's impossible to stand up for Jews, gays, Mexicans or any of the minority groups without being called one of them or a wannabe. The smart kids in schools often act dumb around others in fear of being picked on. Sadly I've done the same thing, and I didn't enjoy it one bit. Is it really right for the smart kids too act like they're ignorant to aviod social problems for years to come?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Glad am I to see your budding and subsequent maturity, what stage of maturation have you reached?

Into your dumbing down / high school stupidity matrix you might want to incorporate these additional contributing factors in your modelling:

* influence of media (especially TV) and propaganda
* materialism and commodity fetishism over meaningful activity
* peer influence
* really bad food causing fatty deposits in the brain as well as the porcine protruberances.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I have also noticed what you have said at my won High School. Around election time we were talking about the candidates views on things, and having debates. We got to the topic of Gay Rights and we had to split to Pro and Con, 22 students were Con, with me and another girl being the only Pro. We were called gay for the rest of the week. We also got to the topic of the Iraq war, and the cut was basically the same, cept backwards. About 20 students were Pro, while me and the remaining 3 were Con. Also with abortion, the same cut as Gay Rights, 22 students were Con while only me and that girl were Pro. YET, these kids still yell out "Stupid Bush!" whenever his name is mentioned, its like they have no idea.

The Bill of Rights really needs to be taught more in schools, or people will not know what Rights they deserve, but if things keep going the way theyre going, maybe they dont even deserve those rights? They obviously dont know how to stand up for their rights, or what they even are.

Most of these kids today, which I am one of, are #ing idiots. Most of us base everything on the latest fashions the others have, the boyfriend/girlfriend the others have (BTW, that "other girl" is my current girlfriend, good pair if you ask me) and LABELS are huge in High School now. You can be called, if a guy: Fag, a Homo, Queer, if a girl: a Slut, Whore, Roller...and itll usually stick.

Youd think every further generation would have more of a sense of Tolerance, but its just not true. This nation started off Racist, then went down a bit, and is now pretty neutral, but if trends continue its gonna go right back down the other side to a bit racist, then fully racist. Ugh...

Yikes...I rambled...pick out the relevent bits from that.

[edit on 1-31-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am 15, I have personally been on the battlefront of ignorance in high school. We have been taken over by idiots. We have people who do not understand their rights. That we should censor "offensive" material, be careful of what we say. Individuality has gone down a crapshoot, nearly everyone mimicks someone else and follows some trend. They think its cool to be dumbasses, and that facism and moralistic jihad is the way to go.

Sometimes I feel like Mr.Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I just want to yell "What are you people all on dope!?!". They have a blind hatred for Jews and Gays, with no reason to back it up other than "The Jews control the world man...fags are disgusting" words like that and it sickens me.

I am an open Libertarian in school, many see me as a "pothead" (I have never used drugs" or a "Sexist, racist, Bigot". I do not believe in censorship or facism. I do not believe in being PC. I do believe in the Constitution and our Bill of Rights. I am pro-gun and I am for gay rights. I am an individualist.

Tommorrow I am brining up the 1st Admendment story in class and see the reaction. I will update.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I am an open Libertarian in school, many see me as a "pothead" (I have never used drugs" or a "Sexist, racist, Bigot". I do not believe in censorship or facism. I do not believe in being PC. I do believe in the Constitution and our Bill of Rights. I am pro-gun and I am for gay rights. I am an individualist.

You sound like me there. People call me pothead all the time because I feel it should be legal, and well, a few other things. I dont believe in censorship AT ALL or facism. Being Politically Correct just friggin sucks, always having to appease some group of people, while in the process probaly pissing another off. The Constitution and Bill of Rights must be upheld to guarantee that our civil liberties are kept intact. Pro Guns all the way, but there have to be some restrictions to keep them safe.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
lol....

It depends what part of the country you are from. Though HS is a popularity contest, here....there's jsut too mcuh diversity to be THAT stupid.

but although I was just about as conservative then as I am now, I did it with the idea of ooooo, party line willl keep me out of trouble with dad, but I don't care, really.

I didn't really start looking at much of anything until some time during college.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I often feel the need to run around the halls screaming "WHAT THE # ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING?!?!". I just raped up a semester 'tech' class (I use that term losely) that consisted of verry basic topics (the horid nature of power/energy tech class is reserved for another time) the entire time i was stuck with the dumbest bags ever you know the type, standard white trash that want to be black, homophobic trying to be badasses. The class was an easy A and for the first 2 weeks of the class I would always perk up and say 'yay I have power/energy tech next' but by week 5 I had come to realize that I had decended into the 6th circle of hell, they never let up and they are dumb as bricks, just sooo stupid it brings me pain just to be around them.

It seems that you guys have it worse off than I do, the raitio of ignorant ones to thoes who are intellegent is pretty even at my HS, though it might be worse than I can see, I typicaly only hang around thoes who have a low I.Q. (Ignorance Quotient) so my HS might be mostly filled with bloody morons.... hmm...well I guess somtimes ignorance is bliss.

aahhh good to get that off my chest.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Are you guys serious? Do you not know what High School is? Everyone in High School is an idiot. None of them know anything yet. When I was in High School, I was an idiot, everyone was. All HS is is a good time, a party, and sometimes you learn things. People call each other gay and fags and what not in the place of the word stupid. "Oh man, that class is gay" or "That dude is so gay". They don't mean you actually smoke pole, it's just a word. And it IS cool to be stupid, and to do stupid things in HS. For some reason you get more respect that way. At least that's how my High School was, maybe it's changed, a lot. Once everyone is out in the real world, they change, you will see a few years after you graduate. People who you didn't really hang out with or like are now cool. I think that's just the way it works.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Things have changed a helluva a lot since Ridgemont High, Bang, a helluva a lot.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
just take pride in knowing that your better than these people. sadly this epidemic isnt going to go away

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
just take pride in knowing that your better than these people. sadly this epidemic isnt going to go away

Why do you think so many think I have a God-complex
?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Now kids are drawing swastikas in class, making fun of the Jewish etc. And when I say swastikas being drawn they aren't the good luck kind. How many of you have ever tried to stand up for gay rights while in school. It's disasterous, you can't show any sympathy for them without being accused of being gay.

Your right, I try to stand up for gay rights alot, but when ever I do I get called a Lesbo, and some kids see me in the halls and say "Hey look its Becky the lesbo heheheh" That can go DIE for all I care

its really said how things have gotten, i say "Gays are normal people, they just like different people than you do" and they say "Gays are NOT normal, they shouldnt like things like that

its just really annoying...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I hate being in High School every1 is so
retarded. I really dont like being there. I am probably the only smart one there. Evan though I act stupid but its only to try and be funny but most of them are to stupid to realize this. I too hate when morans call other morans fags and gay but not for the reasons you guys say. I feel that it is wrong to be gay and shouldnt be joked about but thats just my opinion. I cant wait till im done with school. Idiots. All morans. So dumb

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56I feel that it is wrong to be gay and shouldnt be joked about but thats just my opinion. I cant wait till im done with school. Idiots. All morans. So dumb

Being gay shouldnt be joked about, but its NOT wrong, and people who think it is are the morons, and in my opinion...the ones who call those not as smart as them Morons, Idiots, and Dumb are the true Dumb Moronic Idiots. People should be respected for who they are, not for how smart they are who what they like. So in my opinion...your the moron in your school...

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I still remember my 10th grade world history class... Only two of us (me and a girl named Tina) were able to quickly and correctly find Vietnam on a large world map (with the countries' names on it, so all you really needed to know, was that it was in southeast Asia)!

People were looking in Africa, South America, etc. I just really wanted to shoot them all in the head as a service to the gene pool....

That class was the only one I ever did extra credit for, even when I already had all A's... (he used a points system, and I always had to best Tina, hehe...
)

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
And here I am, again, arguing the contrary position.

First, don't get me wrong. I'm in high-school, and I completely agree that most high-schoolers are idiots. However, I don't think that people are getting worse. I think they're getting slightly better, if not staying the same. 50 years ago, the great majority of kids in school were actually racist against everybody. They didn't think "the blacks" should be allowed to go to school with them. Being gay wasn't even heard of back then. The other day in my class, we found out that this girl was racist, and everyone around her was making fun of her, including me
. (They weren't seriously picking on her, just making fun of her racism. She was my friend before I found out she was racist...) I think as far as racism and bigotry are concerned, we've actually improved a little bit. Sure, some people joke about racism (Which I am also guilty of. But it you don't actually mean it or believe it in any way...), but barely any people actually mean it anymore. The people that are truly stupid are the ones who are actually serious about racism.

DLM,

I don't know if it was your attention, but it seems like you think everyone who doesn't agree with your position on some of the issues must be stupid. It seems like you're calling anyone who's against abortion, gay rights, or agrees with the war in Iraq is stupid. They're entitled to their own opinions too. I know what you mean about the Bush thing, though. While we were watching his inauguration speech, and there were a bunch of kids up-front talking about how they wish someone would shoot him. These being the same kids that would probably pick on gay people, etc. etc.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Personally I don't think racism has gone away one bit. Instead it's foucused on other people. Now instead of blacks, it's arabs and gays. I remember back in sixth grade a Syrian kid went to my school. I feel pretty bad for him since he was one of the nicest kids I've ever met. Yet sadly nearly everyday he was called a terrorist. Although that may have been middle school many of the students have the same opinion of him. :shk:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It is opposite at my school, there is an Egyptian kid who instead of trying to change the "Arab Jihadist" sterotype, I'd sware he was one sometimes. He publicly announces he hate for Americans and Jews, and his pride in "freedom fighting fundamentalists" as he calls them.

Just goes to show you that racism is on all sides.

Plus Monday will be intresting, we are watching the State of the Union and debating about it, and with my ignorant history class that will be intresting. Denying ignorance that day will be fun

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reikuro

Originally posted by Croat56I feel that it is wrong to be gay and shouldnt be joked about but thats just my opinion. I cant wait till im done with school. Idiots. All morans. So dumb

Being gay shouldnt be joked about, but its NOT wrong, and people who think it is are the morons, and in my opinion...the ones who call those not as smart as them Morons, Idiots, and Dumb are the true Dumb Moronic Idiots. People should be respected for who they are, not for how smart they are who what they like. So in my opinion...your the moron in your school...

Hey its just my opinion. I never said they should be thrown in jail or have rocks thrown at them or anything just that I think its not right. I dont think that theyre rights should be taken away or anything. As for those other morans, theyre morans. I cant help that.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Herman, what I meant by that first paragraph was that they all seem against Bush, but all their "ideals" are exactly like his.

They can have all the opinions they want, but when they are based on ignorance and intolerance is when I get to believing they are stupid dumbasses. Even tho most already are for other reasons.

So no, it wasnt my "intention".

On a side note...I walked out of the classroom when we watched the Inaugeration and got a detention.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

new topics

top topics

join