It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best American Sports Announcers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It's hard for me to think about this topic without Vin Scully coming to mind. It fills my heart with sadness to think that he's retired. I don't think there will ever be anyone else like him, but life goes on.

Here are my favorite active American sports announcers.

1. Jon Miller (San Francisco Giants)

www.youtube.com...

2. Walt Frazier (New York Knicks)

www.youtube.com...

3. John Sterling (New York Yankees)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The just retired Vin Scully.

Amazing.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
You gotta listen to this. It's a tribute [ sort of ] to Harry Caray. Just go ahead and lay on the floor, 'cause you'll fall outta your chair laughing.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Sterling is a clown. He's more about trying to be clever these days than actually calling the game.

Kind of like that other asswipe Chris Berman.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
You people need cricket commentators.. bore you ears off. but sports.

Smoothex !! Id doesnt dry your face !! Oo

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Amazing.

I'll never forget this moment. I remember saying to my father, "Eckersley is a low-ball pitcher, and Gibson is a low-ball hitter." My father agreed. Eckersley went to his strength on the full count which just happened to match Gibson's strength. Great memories.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-3-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Howard Cosell and Harry Caray with an Honorable Mention to Bob Uecker.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

One hundred stars for that clip. It was hilarious. I almost puked laughing.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Thanks for the Great topic, and for bringing back the memories of my most iconic sports voice... the 1st voice I ever attached to sports, and without a doubt will never be duplicated. The Greats listed here are all on the same level it seems... its just a matter of who we connected with most in our upbringing through sports. Regardless, thanks for sharing and inducing good memories!

RIP Harry Kalas!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Amazing.

I'll never forget this moment. I remember saying to my father, "Eckersley is a low-ball pitcher, and Gibson is a low-ball hitter." My father agreed. Eckersley went to his strength on the full count which just happened to match Gibson's strength. Great memories.

www.youtube.com...

My favorite not-Cubs (my team) baseball moment ever. I was 12 years old, watching on the console tv in the front room ("frunchroom" in Chicagoese), while the rest of the family watched whatever show they had on in the family room. I had no rooting interest in either team. It was such a moment I had tears in my eyes. That was the first time I've watched it since, and the memory of even the trot/hobble around the bases was dead on. That level of emotion and gutting it out was incredible.

Vin Scully - absolutely one on the greatest of all time. The way he would seamlessly go from story to the action was perfect, and his knowledge of baseball and baseball history was incredible.

Steve Stone has always been my favorite analyst/commentator. Haven't listened much since the previous crappy ownership of the Cubs basically pushed him out and he went to the White Sox. His baseball knowledge was (is) incredible. I've never witnessed anyone predicting pitches and even what the batter would do with such accuracy.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
For local color and fantastic homerism, no one beat the great Johnny Most:

For current local homers, I go for Jack Edwards:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I spent many afternoons in my childhood listening to the Giants, A's and Forty Niners games on AM radio. My parents chose not to have a TV in our home, so I relied upon an ancient AM radio to keep up with my favorite teams. Iconic moments in Forty Niner history, illustrated by Lon Simmons legendary voice, are forever ingrained in my mind and in my soul. The way he said "touchdown Forty Niners" or "tell it good bye" brings me right back to my youth and I feel this almost magical, nostalgic feeling every time I hear old replays.
m.youtube.com...

As far as current broadcasters go, as a huge Giants fan, of course I like Jon Miller. However, he is not even the best broadcaster on the Giants. Kruk and Kuip (Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper) are the best broadcasting team in MLB and are always informative and entertaining. Even in a blowout, they find ways to keep your attention.
m.youtube.com...

top topics

join