It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Store an Operating System, a Movie and a Computer Virus on DNA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

As I noted above, this is just another storage mechanism, an extraordinarily expensive one, and not some ethical dilemma about changing the DNA of living organisms.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
all I can say about this is...
that's really #ing cool.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   
If it is actual DNA that is compatible with organisms, it is likely dangerous to produce it, as it is unknown what biological processes they put into action. If it gets loose into the environment, who knows what havoc it can cause.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The scary consideration being Bill Gates, the former CEO of Microsoft is now a heavy, big-time Vaccine pusher for 3rd world countries.

Imagine what could be put into the DNA of some of the vaccines, and then given to people..

How would the human body deal with such things, I wonder.. I'm sure some already know.

/shudder

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This is just another step in the right direction for one of my dream world inventions to be created. I believe that we will some day learn how to actually program individual cells or create "computers" the size of cells that can be injected into the blood stream. Imagine if your doctor discovers a massive inoperable tumor inside of you. Except in this scenario, the only reason you'll be bummed is because you'll have to get a needle in the arm so pre-programmed cells can destroy the tumor within' a month with zero side effects. What a world that would be.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I know i'm going to get eye rolls and sighs, being a Christian,
this is intriguing in thinking that the term 'messiah' means messenger.
my understanding of DNA is that it is a manner for complex chemical
chains to store information, carry out 'organic algorithms' and so on.
Me not smart, i'm just trying to put this in the simple terms I understand out loud.
Maybe the idea of some historical figures being 'programmed' or having info 'stored' and
being driven to disseminate it and behave in ways out of the ordinary for the common man isn't all that crazy.

Isn't there a point where the law of diminishing returns makes this amount
of information naturally occurring redundant, I thought most natural processes
worked under the 'Keep it simple stupid' rule.

-Also, the thought that i'm nothing more than a Flashstick of the universe with an interest in
history and a like for pasta is amusing. That'd be a novel meaning to life.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Makes me think.. i wonder if dna has been recording our history, kind of like a book.. Instead of using genealogy to find out about our ancestors we could just read it from our dna..

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

So now I need adblock for my dna?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jokei

So now I need adblock for my dna?

Yeah..but then how will you find hot singles in your area?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
How about we talk abit about

Genetic Memory?!?!?

How do birds KNOW were to fly when migrating....
And there are numerous other situations were
we could be talking about that kind of memory.

What if "junk dna" isnt really junk... But the
collective memory of long lost past....

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Miccey
How about we talk abit about

Genetic Memory?!?!?

How do birds KNOW were to fly when migrating....
And there are numerous other situations were
we could be talking about that kind of memory.

What if "junk dna" isnt really junk... But the
collective memory of long lost past....

Indeed..

Nature doesn't seem to have much of a habit of making useless things, or leaving them laying around.

Just because we don't understand the purpose of weeds, doesn't mean weeds don't have some purpose. It just means we haven't discovered a use for the perticuler plant in question.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I believe the question here is: Can we run Doom?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Can you fathom how much information our DNA can be storing?

The collective memories, thoughts and personalities of every one of our ancestors (in our personal lineage), passed and encoded into our DNA (RNA) at the point of conception, right back through time to the earliest bacterial life-form directly associated with our ancestral line...perhaps.

Imagine what we could learn if we could access the huge amounts of data.

It is thought that shamans are scratching the surface of this access through their 'vision quests' and conversations with their 'spirit / animal guides', using unique botanical mixtures and chemicals derived from them.

Modern science is beginning to come around to this idea too, and mainstream researchers are investigating chemicals found naturally in the body, such as N,N-Dimethyltryptamine to assess whether or not such an approach could be a chemical key that allows us to consciously interact with what could turn out to be literally billions of years worth of stored data..right in our cells.
edit on 5 3 2017 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Just think of the possibilities. Unbreakable passwords and encryption using your dna or even storing it on it. a reply to: infolurker

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: therealfreeworld

Not sure about unbreakable passwords or encryption mate.

All you'd need to crack those would be a single drop of blood, a hair or even a fingerprint...and you're in.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

MIND = BLOWN!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I still have a lot of room to store knowledge in my DNA and in the crystals of my bones. My head seems to be full of propaganda lately, I have been spending way too much time researching Politics the last few months. If I keep it up I may start believing that politicians and media don't lie. A sot of science is also misinterpreted to fill a bank account.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

I agree with the implication of MAA's point around "excruciating detail".

However clever the thinking around DNA is, and it is very smart stuff, the method is basically a more of the same progression down the clay tablet / paper / disc / SSD stream.

I think this known in Economics as a shift in the 'production possibility curve'.

Corporates, and Corporate Managers, are increasingly dependant on processing Big Data, so the attraction of pursuing a cheaper mrdium is clear.

I really wonder, though, if some Monk in 1100ad, sitting on some wind swept island in the cold, would spend time illuminating all 12th century Tweets by candle light, or if some 'filter' would come into play, letting only the major ones get through.

The really disruptive thing would be a universal algorithm to sort the noise from the information. Valuing 'imperfect information' rather than the current wisdom of valuing 'perfect information'.

Not easy to do, but if we can encode DNA with tomorrows garbage wrapper, who knows.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

However clever the thinking around DNA is, and it is very smart stuff, the method is basically a more of the same progression down the clay tablet / paper / disc / SSD stream.

Exactly.

Corporates, and Corporate Managers, are increasingly dependant on processing Big Data, so the attraction of pursuing a cheaper mrdium is clear.

Of course you left out government from your list, but of course this is not a cheaper medium, and won't be for a very long time, if ever. There are other cheaper media in the pipeline before this one bears fruit.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

...and perfectly retrieved the information from a sequencing coverage equivalent to a single tile of Illumina sequencing. We also tested a process that can allow 2.18 × 1015 retrievals using the original DNA sample and were able to perfectly decode the data. Finally, we explored the limit of our architecture in terms of bytes per molecule and obtained a perfect retrieval from a density of 215 petabytes per gram of DNA, orders of magnitude higher than previous reports.

Sounding good!

But...

...Moving forward, practical implementation of DNA storage will require addressing the high cost of DNA , which was $3500/Mbyte in this study. ...more cost-effective synthesis, DNA might become an economically viable solution for long-term, high-latency storage.

...Protein synthesis is already super-cheap. Just sayin'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join