It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revised: What's your favorite horror movie thread.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
my least favorite genre but if i had to pick it might be
motel hell
the omen
the original hills have eyes

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Oook..

Shining
Excorcist
Alien
Texas chainsaw massacre (!)
... as far as classics go..

More recent?
Bobbadook
It follows
Trick r treat
You're next
Conjuring was surprisingly good..

I'm about to see "Get out" in an hour.. i DO NOT have high hopes..

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The Descent gets me every time; the combination of intense claustrophobia and creepy cave dwelling wall crawling carnivorous monsters; all of this taking place in essentially absolute darkness - I have a hard time dealing with that.

I also have "fond" memories of the first Hellraiser movie. I know nowadays it looks kinda hacky, but I had the first real nightmare I can remember after watching that movie, about Pinhead staring down at me from a hole in the ceiling whilst I lay in bed. It's always made me uncomfortable watching the movie since. I don't like the idea that you can't fight back.

I love low budget horror movies though. Not because they scare me particularly, but just because they're great movies. I'm talking Evil Dead, Phantasm, Blair Witch, The Devils Rejects, Jeepers Creepers and so on. More recently, Bone Tomahawk took me by surprise by how good it was. An old western style horror with a strong cast on a surprisingly low budget. Worth a watch.
edit on 4-3-2017 by DeusInAbsentia because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

The Howling, is my all time favorite horror movie.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This one is really scary! Brilliant acting by lead.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Three Old Favorites:
Let's Scare Jessica To Death - atmospheric ghost/vampire/psychological hippies gone bad. Great acting and photography.
The Legend of Hill House - really creepy haunted house.
Lost Boys - just cause I love the 80's music and the Santa Cruz area.

One New(ish) Indie:
Absentia - weird subject matter and believable charaters.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The Gate

Invaders from Mars

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

"Split" is pretty pretty​ good if you haven't seen it.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans

More recent?
Bobbadook
It follows
Trick r treat
You're next
Conjuring was surprisingly good..

Babbadook, It Follows and the Conjuring were pretty good. Trick r Treat and You're Next are too comedic for my taste. To me, that's when the horror genre lost some of its appeal is when they started trying to mix horror with comedy. To me, the two should never be mixed. Just my opinion.
edit on 4-3-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTearsdamian rocks!
have you seen the movie called "the bad seed!"?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I enjoyed split. Mostly for the fellows acting and the "surprise at the end"...

Get out was pretty good.
More like an episode of twilight zone or dark mirror than a horror film, but I enjoyed it.

Also another posted mentioned the Decent... that movie was awesome .

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I get what your saying, but I feel opposite...most horror is only tolerable to me for the tounge n cheek humor...

The mixing of comedy to me just make sense.

Also I enjoy Rob Zombie original movies.. not his remakes

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
"Ex Machina" is my entry for best, scariest.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

&

And so many others.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

Yeah, having grown up watching horror movies, I guess I am just a purist when it comes to the horror genre. Horror movies to me are supposed to incite fear or suspense not laughter... That's just me.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Absentia bothered me for days the first time I watched it. For some reason, psychologically, I couldn't let it go. I haven't walked through a pedestrian tunnel since. I've watched it several times, and it always creeps me out. Most definitely good, especially for an inexpensive movie.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
For me there's too many to limit it just one, especially since it's my favorite movie genre. While I do like a lot of paranormal ones and B rated type horror(80s/90s preferences), there's a few that stand out even from them. Ones that aren't stereotypical to sub genres(from vampires to werewolves) of the horror genre make for better movies.

Some of the series:

Phantasm series I feel this one always is overlooked though can be regarded as a cult classic.

The Cube series(Sci Fi can be horror to some) People put into a government funded project, a "death machine", try to survive. Pretty sure it's know a bit outside of it's Canadian/Sci-Fi B movie status.

Others;The paranormal sub genre- The Conjuring movies are based on Ed(RIP) and Lorraine Warren, the "pioneering" couple of modern paranormal investigations, who helped to spawn not only the House and Amityville series more modern paranormal horror genre but to the Haunting in Connecticut and others that have come out during the 00s.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

The fourth Kind
The Shining
The objective

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

I'd say that's a pretty good list. Haven't seen "The Objective, but it doesn't get much better than "The Fourth Kind" and "The Shining" in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Favorite among relatively recent releases would be Cabin in the Woods. Good effects and real horror combined with some major belly laughs.

"Am I on speakerphone?" Cracks me up every time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join