It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient ‘Atlantis’ alloy recovered from 2,600yo shipwreck

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: schuyler

It's about a shipwreck found with multiple items, including an ancient alloy ... which has literally nothing to do with Atlantis or orichalcum. No evidence is shown of either.

A valiant attempt at avoidance. The article is about orichalcum and Atlantis whether you like it or not or whether it proves its case or not. Consider: here is a book about unicorns. It discusses the care and feeding of unicorns, unicorn lore, unicorn habitat, and the history of unicorns. It discusses unicorns in the context of history and culture.

Does that mean unicorns really exist?

Of course not. BUT THE BOOK IS STILL ABOUT UNICORNS. That you don't believe unicorns exist is irrelevant. There have been over 20,000 books published on Atlantis and who knows how many hundreds of thousands of articles. You can't make those books go away or proclaim them not to be about Atlantis because you, personally, don't believe in Atlantis. In the greater scheme of things, your opinion counts for very little. You present no opposing arguments. You dont add anything to the discussion.

You proclaimed above: "3. This story has nothing to do with orichalcum." when it has everything to do with it.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sounds like the writer of the article is just evoking Atlantis for clicks. While Orichalcum was written to have some precedence in the mythical Atlantis, it was used and mentioned elsewhere in the ancient world. The shipwreck likely has nothing at all to do with Atlantis.

I agree however it does not diminish the find IMO Also I did not know anything about Orichalcum which supposedly covered Poseidon’s temple (if the temple actually existed in the first place)

There are plenty of underwater archeological sites that were once port cities, but met their demise due to earthquake, tsunami, volcano or simple plate tectonics. How many others are there? Could there be other locations that haven't been discovered yet?
No doubt, the find is still amazing in and of itself. I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis, lol.

You mean our hand me down version of Atlantis or the real place?

Islands that explode and sank into the Mediterranean are well documented.

The over-exaggerated mythical Atlantis. Who knows where the equipment actually came from, but it is quite disingenuous for the media to try linking it to Atlantistm simply because Orichalcum may have been mined there, according to a story which may have been fiction or at least embellished.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kibric
a reply to: 727Sky

ah ha...
elderscrolls.wikia.com...(Skyrim)

S&F

First place my mind went, too XD

I wonder if it would make an axe good enough for cleaving Forsworn?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mumbotron

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: GetHyped

There are writing, some very explicit as to that Atlantis was a real city. That is actually real evidence. Where this city really was is what is an issue. It could have also been another name for MU, which also disappeared, it was supposedly an advanced Island of Indonesia. They look at ruins under the sea and compare the ruins to writings about Atlantis to prove they were not Atlantis. So the evidence can be used to discount a city being Atlantis but it can't be used to prove it existed?

They have not found this legendary city yet, that does not mean it never existed. Who knows, Atlantis could have been a port of any continent, maybe a port of MU. Islands come and go all the time, a couple of new ones were just created and some recently got swallowed by the ocean.

Come on , don't make claims to knowledge you don't possess... there is only one account of Atlantis... from Plato ( and he was referring to something 9000 years before his time) ... other people have written in reference to Plato's account which many historians believe is fictional.

fathersergio.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Funny for all they know Atlantis was a figment of Plato's imagination,yet they are finding artifacts of a place they may or may not existed,kind of like finding old item,and tell everyone it was once owned by someone famous,speculation at best

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The mid atlantic ridge everyone can so freely see was at one point, above sea level. This created an island in the middle of the atlantic, perhaps a bit more closer to EU, but you get the idea.
This was long ago, as obviously its no longer there, but

Atlantis is anti diluvian, meaning it existed and prospered long before we were here. People need to realize that great empires and civilizations exist long ago, as far back as the miocene period.

History and time are efficient erasures.

Atlantis first started sinking several million years ago, the main sinking began about 900,000 to 850,000 years ago, with the final remnant going under 12,000 years ago.
Plato had it wrong, the atlantis he was referring to was that small island, which in reality was part of the larger chain, but confused the two. In a sense he was right.

The geology is there for anybody to see. At some point, civilizations, powerful ones, exist and touted the secret sciences, much of we know already, like advance mining and metallurgy. At the time, it was cutting edge.

No fantasy, no magic. Real people, real history lost over a million to several thousand years, a great tragedy in which the current world will never really experience or know about, a culture lost.

I really hope we find an ancient library somewhere that would reveal all to see.

References:
www.blavatsky.net...

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I did not know anything about Orichalcum which supposedly covered Poseidon’s temple ...

wow, a whole temple covered with a plate of metal.... now that probably attracted lightning strikes...
Did the leadership in Atlantis instruct the Architect or the master builder to do this deliberately...

I see where the Vatican or the Capitol lightning strikes captured in photographs (as-a-witness)
are popular images and somehow affirm the idea that a lightning event is a powerful Omen ...

One thing confuses me.... an alloy is manufactured/created and not found-&-mined in the modern era
edit on th31148871739405362017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

A valiant attempt at avoidance. The article is about orichalcum and Atlantis whether you like it or not or whether it proves its case or not. Consider: here is a book about unicorns. It discusses the care and feeding of unicorns, unicorn lore, unicorn habitat, and the history of unicorns. It discusses unicorns in the context of history and culture.

That would be valid .. but it's a bad analogy.

It would be like a book from Italy that discusses how to care for horses, and you write a story about the book linking it to an ancient book of Hades that discusses how to raise the dead, claiming it's that book.

It's not that book, and it has nothing to do with Hades. It has literally nothing to do with the book or Hades.
Just like this story has literally nothing to do with Atlantis or orichalcum other than a clickbait title.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
the problem with finding orichalcum: according to Plato, it is was not known in his time.

Although he did live 400 years after this find was suposedly lost, how would we know?

I have no problem believing an alloy made through reactive measures could not be made naturally and then mined as a "mineral". If orichalcum were created trough a reaction of copper, zinc, and ash...it could occur naturally and abundantly in places where there were once a heavy level of heat to burn plant matter, in the presence of copper and zinc.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Small technical detail. One doesn't mine an alloy, alloys are smelted.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Wow! Killer link. Unquestionably the earth and civilations are dynamic. The seas have risen and fallen. Cities lost. Great cities. More than likely the story of Atlantis was embilished to a certain degree. I think time will eventually tell the truth, but to completely call the whole thing some type of hoax. No, lighten up. Life has is shades of gray. There certainly may be something to the story or it wouldn't still be told, probably not quite up to the full hype. You know how word of mouth stories are. They seem to grow but they started somewhere.

Denny

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Sounds like the writer of the article is just evoking Atlantis for clicks. While Orichalcum was written to have some precedence in the mythical Atlantis, it was used and mentioned elsewhere in the ancient world. The shipwreck likely has nothing at all to do with Atlantis.

Atlantis was supposed to have sunk beneath the waves in 9600 B.C. - about 12,000 years ago. Most people don't know this or or if they do know, they don't believe it, which is why they try to attach more recent events to Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis

Lighten up. How do you know it's not from Atlantis.

WIth all these new ancient finds every year it seems more and more likely that Atlantis was a real place.

Not least because this ship sunk 2,600 years ago. Writings indicate Atlantis predating Plato by some 9000 years.

Exactly, and I think Graham Hancock has shown quite eloquently, that the Egyptians were aware of it's existence as well.
Something terrible happened on the Earth around 11,500 years ago, and Atlantis was most likely just one instance of a multitude of destroyed civilizations.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Nice Ive heard this like a few years back ...

people are saying Atlantis didnt exist ...

it well may have ... but Where..

yet we have places like Tiwanaco - Puma Punku .. that needs to be explained.
Ancient Marvel Structures... as modern Technology would have great difficulty to reproduce

Supposedly Done by primitive Natives , that had no mathematical nor Written language except for Knot Roping ..

yet All over the world there is similar looking structures from within a timeframe between 1,000 years

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
the problem with finding orichalcum: according to Plato, it is was not known in his time.

Although he did live 400 years after this find was suposedly lost, how would we know?

I have no problem believing an alloy made through reactive measures could not be made naturally and then mined as a "mineral". If orichalcum were created trough a reaction of copper, zinc, and ash...it could occur naturally and abundantly in places where there were once a heavy level of heat to burn plant matter, in the presence of copper and zinc.

Maybe something with a semi active or Dormant Volcano to create the heat .

lava cave , flow of Lava , could be

early man could of harnessed that technique.

Volcano of Methana Source: www.greeka.com
www.greeka.com...

Volcanology of Italy
en.wikipedia.org...

The Mediterranean and Western Asia Region
Search Results
Active volcanoes in Greece - overview - VolcanoDiscovery
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Earthquakes have been more frequent recently at Nisyros volcano. 2 more quakes of magnitude 2.1 and 3.1 have occurred today close to the island at depths of ...
Volcanoes of Greece - John Seach - Volcano Live
www.volcanolive.com/greece.html

Volcanoes of Greece - John Seach. john. The Greek volcanoes are part of the "Aegean Volcanic Arc", which is caused by the subduction of the African tectonic ...
Santorini, Greece - Volcano World
volcano.oregonstate.edu/oldroot/volcanoes/volc_images/europe.../santorini.html

Mediterranean and Western Asia - Global Volcanism Program
volcano.si.edu...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join