It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient ‘Atlantis’ alloy recovered from 2,600yo shipwreck

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: daaskapital

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sounds like the writer of the article is just evoking Atlantis for clicks. While Orichalcum was written to have some precedence in the mythical Atlantis, it was used and mentioned elsewhere in the ancient world. The shipwreck likely has nothing at all to do with Atlantis.

I agree however it does not diminish the find IMO Also I did not know anything about Orichalcum which supposedly covered Poseidon’s temple (if the temple actually existed in the first place)

No doubt, the find is still amazing in and of itself. I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis, lol.

You mean our hand me down version of Atlantis or the real place?

Islands that explode and sank into the Mediterranean are well documented.

There is literally no evidence whatsoever of Atlantis being a real place.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Dates from 2015 - the shipwreck and report were discussed before, I think..

And there's something hinky about those helmets - they're not well made for one thing compared to other Corinthian helmets of the time. I can't say anything for sure, but compared to ones in museums, they're ... odd.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

There are writing, some very explicit as to that Atlantis was a real city. That is actually real evidence. Where this city really was is what is an issue. It could have also been another name for MU, which also disappeared, it was supposedly an advanced Island of Indonesia. They look at ruins under the sea and compare the ruins to writings about Atlantis to prove they were not Atlantis. So the evidence can be used to discount a city being Atlantis but it can't be used to prove it existed?

They have not found this legendary city yet, that does not mean it never existed. Who knows, Atlantis could have been a port of any continent, maybe a port of MU. Islands come and go all the time, a couple of new ones were just created and some recently got swallowed by the ocean.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Island calderas in the mediterranean are well documented. How any of those became a fabled tale of Atlantis is another story that grew in the telling...

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
a reply to: 727Sky

Dates from 2015 - the shipwreck and report were discussed before, I think..

And there's something hinky about those helmets - they're not well made for one thing compared to other Corinthian helmets of the time. I can't say anything for sure, but compared to ones in museums, they're ... odd.

They look like they are blanks headed to somewhere to finish the process of making the helmets. There is a lot to do on them yet.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Island calderas in the mediterranean are well documented. How any of those became a fabled tale of Atlantis is another story that grew in the telling...

Santorini is a good example and a good candidate. It was a trading hub equidistant from Greece, Turkey, and Crete. It blew up about 1500 BC, right in the middle of the Bronze Age. There's no question that it happened. It fits. Whether it actually was "Atlantis" is unknown as that city has been placed on every continent, including Antarctica. and in every ocean by someone.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Santorini is a good example and a good candidate. It was a trading hub equidistant from Greece, Turkey, and Crete. It blew up about 1500 BC, right in the middle of the Bronze Age. There's no question that it happened. It fits. Whether it actually was "Atlantis" is unknown as that city has been placed on every continent, including Antarctica. and in every ocean by someone.

Outstanding, Santorini is the name I couldn't remember.

From their antiquated perspective the destruction of an entire island as suddenly and as totally as say, another example like Krakatoa, would be pretty much beyond their understanding.

We take so much for granted from our modern scientific perspective.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Or this is simply not orichalcum .. since this can't be mined. Atlantis is clickbait.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Clickbait created 2.500 years before mouse invention....
1. Plato work is full of fairy tales.
2. Plato had no solid knowledge about chemistry and metallurgy.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

3. this story has nothing to do with orichalcum.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

3. this story has nothing to do with orichalcum.

I don't know what story you read, but the story in the link appears to be almost exclusively about orichalcum. The article is less than 300 words long yet mentions the alloy by name four times and references the "alloy" continuously throughout the piece. Three large pictures show the ingots. So if this story is not about orichalcum, what exactly is it about?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

And I would like proof that this is indeed Atlantis' orichalcum. I saw none in the article. I saw no link to Atlantis at all.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

There are writing, some very explicit as to that Atlantis was a real city. That is actually real evidence. Where this city really was is what is an issue. It could have also been another name for MU, which also disappeared, it was supposedly an advanced Island of Indonesia. They look at ruins under the sea and compare the ruins to writings about Atlantis to prove they were not Atlantis. So the evidence can be used to discount a city being Atlantis but it can't be used to prove it existed?

They have not found this legendary city yet, that does not mean it never existed. Who knows, Atlantis could have been a port of any continent, maybe a port of MU. Islands come and go all the time, a couple of new ones were just created and some recently got swallowed by the ocean.

Come on , don't make claims to knowledge you don't possess... there is only one account of Atlantis... from Plato ( and he was referring to something 9000 years before his time) ... other people have written in reference to Plato's account which many historians believe is fictional.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

And I would like proof that this is indeed Atlantis' orichalcum. I saw none in the article. I saw no link to Atlantis at all.

Reading comprehension, please. You did not respond to the question. You said the story was NOT ABOUT orichalcum. I'm asking you then, what is it about? Atlantis is not part of my question. I can't give you proof this is about Atlantis because I don't believe it either. But the article is definitely about orichalcum.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Attaching the name orichalcum to something does not make it so.

They could say it was Donald Trump's hair .. saying it 8 times doesn't make it more true.

The story is about a metal alloy, which they claim is the orichalcum of the Atlantis myth.

Where is the evidence?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Sounds like the writer of the article is just evoking Atlantis for clicks. While Orichalcum was written to have some precedence in the mythical Atlantis, it was used and mentioned elsewhere in the ancient world. The shipwreck likely has nothing at all to do with Atlantis.

I agree however it does not diminish the find IMO Also I did not know anything about Orichalcum which supposedly covered Poseidon’s temple (if the temple actually existed in the first place)

No doubt, the find is still amazing in and of itself. I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis, lol.

You mean our hand me down version of Atlantis or the real place?

Islands that explode and sank into the Mediterranean are well documented.

The over-exaggerated mythical Atlantis. Who knows where the equipment actually came from, but it is quite disingenuous for the media to try linking it to Atlantistm simply because Orichalcum may have been mined there, according to a story which may have been fiction or at least embellished.

You po po'ers all sound alike. Everything is embellished and it ALL over-exaggerated. We never hear about King Tuts pillow of steel although it been documented well outside "alt" history circles. Certain have good reason for not letting us know that very high quality metal was being made well before chronological credit.

The only reason there was a bronze age was that certain gave mankind in general this "plastic" first while the hard ons kept the magic metal for themselves and under raps

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis

Lighten up. How do you know it's not from Atlantis.

WIth all these new ancient finds every year it seems more and more likely that Atlantis was a real place.

Not least because this ship sunk 2,600 years ago. Writings indicate Atlantis predating Plato by some 9000 years.

Got to give you a star for that comment - there ya go ....... precious!

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Attaching the name orichalcum to something does not make it so.

They could say it was Donald Trump's hair .. saying it 8 times doesn't make it more true.

The story is about a metal alloy, which they claim is the orichalcum of the Atlantis myth.

Where is the evidence?

WHAT - IS - THE - STORY - ABOUT???

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

It's about a shipwreck found with multiple items, including an ancient alloy ... which has literally nothing to do with Atlantis or orichalcum. No evidence is shown of either.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Village Idiot

originally posted by: CB328

I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis

Lighten up. How do you know it's not from Atlantis.

WIth all these new ancient finds every year it seems more and more likely that Atlantis was a real place.

Not least because this ship sunk 2,600 years ago. Writings indicate Atlantis predating Plato by some 9000 years.

Got to give you a star for that comment - there ya go ....... precious!

Yes me to. Even though this ship could have been cought in a time warp of something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join