It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient ‘Atlantis’ alloy recovered from 2,600yo shipwreck

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Interesting find that ties in with Plato's written records about Atlantis.
www.rt.com...

An alloy, which according to Greek legend was mined on the ancient mythical island of Atlantis, has been discovered on a shipwreck which sank off the coast of Sicily 2,600 years ago. Some 47 ingots of ‘orichalcum’ have so far been recovered from the ancient underwater find.

Described as brass-like and made through the reaction of zinc ore, charcoal and copper, the alloy has never before been discovered in such quantity. Uncovered back in 2015, the ingots’ composition was revealed only after analysis using X-ray fluorescence, reported Seeker.

Orichalcum became legendary through the writings of Greek philosopher Plato, who wrote that the material was mined in Atlantis, where it covered Poseidon’s temple.

The article has some pics of the find.. One way or the other it appears to be a note worthy find. youtu.be...

edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

ah ha...
elderscrolls.wikia.com...(Skyrim)

S&F

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Sounds like the writer of the article is just evoking Atlantis for clicks. While Orichalcum was written to have some precedence in the mythical Atlantis, it was used and mentioned elsewhere in the ancient world. The shipwreck likely has nothing at all to do with Atlantis.
edit on 4-3-2017 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Sounds like the writer of the article is just evoking Atlantis for clicks. While Orichalcum was written to have some precedence in the mythical Atlantis, it was used and mentioned elsewhere in the ancient world. The shipwreck likely has nothing at all to do with Atlantis.

I agree however it does not diminish the find IMO Also I did not know anything about Orichalcum which supposedly covered Poseidon’s temple (if the temple actually existed in the first place)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

I agree however it does not diminish the find IMO Also I did not know anything about Orichalcum which supposedly covered Poseidon’s temple (if the temple actually existed in the first place)

No doubt, the find is still amazing in and of itself. I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis, lol.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Of course they made arms with it, too. The magicians that could make metal from dirt, then produce edged weapons, points and armor to conquer the world...

Empires, bah

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

No doubt, the find is still amazing in and of itself. I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis, lol.

You mean our hand me down version of Atlantis or the real place?

Islands that explode and sank into the Mediterranean are well documented.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

You mean our hand me down version of Atlantis or the real place?

Islands that explode and sank into the Mediterranean are well documented.

The over-exaggerated mythical Atlantis. Who knows where the equipment actually came from, but it is quite disingenuous for the media to try linking it to Atlantistm simply because Orichalcum may have been mined there, according to a story which may have been fiction or at least embellished.
edit on 4-3-2017 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Oh I agree. Most empires produced metal for arms to wage wars excuse me, defend the realm. The Atlantean reference is precisely because they don't know were it came from. If they chart its origins with a mass spectrometer-- who cares or even knows about that today, right?

We rather dwell on lost lands of fairies and Unicorns...

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Has the material been carbon dated? I am someone who hopes that science discovers proof of Atlantis but I watch for proof with skeptical eye. Beyond dating the material is there any other scientific methods that could relate it to Atlantis, or would it simply fall in to "unknown origin" which then some may theorize is of "Atlantian origin".

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Interesting, I wonder if the long ingots were used to make knives or swords out of by a blacksmith

The helmets have a lot of small holes in them, it seems to me they had some kind of twist drill to accomplish that, more than a stone glued onto a piece of wood.

Good find. I can't understand one thing they said on the video though.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BiffJordan

It is probably not possible. Basically you can do it with organic materials only. May be if some carbon from charcoal resided in alloy ... It will be easier to pinpoint areas where ore was mined.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Since this allow can't be mined how is it orichalcum?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
a reply to: BiffJordan

It is probably not possible. Basically you can do it with organic materials only. May be if some carbon from charcoal resided in alloy ... It will be easier to pinpoint areas where ore was mined.

Correct without carbon present, no carbon dating can occur.
Metals are extremely ancient and the best route actually is to date the wood on the ship (it claimed it was found at a shipwreck) or various other items found there which might still be obtainable.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Since this allow can't be mined how is it orichalcum?

Wiki Alloy :

An alloy is a mixture of metals or a mixture of a metal and another element. Alloys are defined by a metallic bonding character.[1] An alloy may be a solid solution of metal elements (a single phase) or a mixture of metallic phases (two or more solutions)

So they would have mined other basic metals then mixed them into this alloy.

This assumes that Plato was mistranslated or that he misspoke when explaining where it came from / how it was originally obtained.
edit on 3/4/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I just had a beef with the journalist trying to link it to Atlantis

Lighten up. How do you know it's not from Atlantis.

WIth all these new ancient finds every year it seems more and more likely that Atlantis was a real place.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The helmets have a lot of small holes in them, it seems to me they had some kind of twist drill to accomplish that, more than a stone glued onto a piece of wood.

Or bronze arrow points. Understanding of course, if they could fashion metal into helmets they could also forge armor piercing points.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

WIth all these new ancient finds every year it seems more and more likely that Atlantis was a real place.

Not least because this ship sunk 2,600 years ago. Writings indicate Atlantis predating Plato by some 9000 years.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

How do you know it is? This alloy (which was NOT "mined") is made of zinc and copper. Big deal. These are not unusual metals, any more than copper and tin, which gives you bronze, as in the Bronze Age. The technology to make each alloy is the same and well within the skill set of any Bronze Age civilization. To conjure up "Atlantis" out of this find is really quite ridiculous. You don't need Atlantis to explain it. There is no connection.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join