It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ongoing rhetoric against the media is dangerous

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The rhetoric started with Hillary Clinton's campaign team when they were hit by WikiLeaks' email publications and were searching for a way to minimise the damage caused by that and unconnected right-wing websites. That said, the rhetoric used against the media then, has continued to get uglier, and is now being adopted by anybody and everybody who disagrees with an opinion.

Oh, CNN said something you don't like or agree with? They must be fake news and terrorist-sympathisers who want nothing more than to see the downfall of the United States! Fox News says something you don't like? They must be fascists who do nothing more than peddle lies in support of dictators and otherwise detestable people. Seriously, this is bull#. From both sides of the political spectrum.

It is great to have a critical opinion on things, especially when it comes to the news. You should not be spoonfed and told what to think. On the other hand, it is also dangerous to undermine free speech and the free press by calling CNN or Fox News terrorists, encourage their destruction and call for the detainment of its employees for criticising the political figures you hold so dearly.

It is disgusting, and it is dangerous. If you don't like these outlets, don't watch them.
edit on 4-3-2017 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
It is disgusting, and it is dangerous. If you don't like these outlets, don't watch them.

I don't like them ... and I don't watch them.

People just bring it up over and over again ... and we can't seem to let it go.

And as for it being dangerous: It seems that one (political) side has dominance over the MSM. Attacking the MSM is only dangerous the 'that side' of the political agenda. The MSM make it out to be an Us -vs- Them ... a Conservative -vs- Progressive argument ... what they're not forthcoming with is that it's a Nationalist -vs- NWO thing. It's that lack of truth that people despise.

And ... I think people are so tired of being lied to ... that they're simply done with MSM. It's a new dawn ... the rise of Alternative News. People like Mark Dice ... and their ability to portray the uninformed in the glaring light of stoopidity ... will be the new norm.

I'm fine with that.

edit on 432017 by Snarl because: ETA

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

People simply want unbiased news outlets, that's it. Calling for the end of biased news networks is what everyone should want.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Yep it really is a two edged sword. We used to think we had responsible journalist who verified the facts before they went with a story. Now they appear to just make innuendo and repeat rumors to fill time slots. Not fake as unfortunately many stories have a negative rant and are totally fabricated without sources.

The news wants respect then report the factual news without all the contortions to make it sound positive for their paid for agenda....Pretty simple IMO.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: daaskapital

I don't like them ... and I don't watch them.

People just bring it up over and over again ... and we can't seem to let it go.

Great!

And as for it being dangerous: It seems that one (political) side has dominance over the MSM. Attacking the MSM is only dangerous the 'that side' of the political agenda. The MSM make it out to be an Us -vs- Them ... a Conservative -vs- Progressive argument ... what they're not forthcoming with is that it's a Nationalist -vs- NWO thing. It's that lack of truth that people despise.

And ... I think people are so tired of being lied to ... that they're simply done with MSM. It's a new dawn ... the rise of Alternative News. People like Mark Dice ... and their ability to portray the uninformed in the glaring light of stoopidity ... will be the new norm.

I'm fine with that.

I agree, but i think the danger also lies in the threat to free speech. If Democrats are going to suppress conservative outlets, that is dangerous insofar as it marginalises the voices of certain people while undermining the very foundations of free speech and the freedom of the press. The same goes when it is Republicans suppressing liberal outlets.

In saying that, i think the likes of Mark Dice are just a biased as any partisan media outlet. To see new forms of media emerging is a good thing, but a healthy dose of scepticism and criticism is welcome in every situation. If people start eating up everything Mark Dice says, things will remain just as bad as they are in terms of media consumption.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Enough with your fake media; there is a perfect meatball sub.

If multiple news sources have evidence from various nations that is contrary to your words then why throw a tantrum when evidence suggests there is no perfect meatball sub?

Either the fake media is telling you there is no perfect meatball sub, or you can believe the POTUS and there is a perfect meatball sub.

American Politics at it's finest.
edit on 4-3-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The MSM has mastered the art of selective reporting...
They are also masters of context manipulation and perspective dishonesty...

Let this picture explain what I mean...
The picture broadcast is real but it is only part of the story....
Ignoring the perspective, context and truth of what is actually occurring is the media's rai·son d'ê·tre...

-Chris

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMadTitan

People simply want unbiased news outlets, that's it. Calling for the end of biased news networks is what everyone should want.

A want for unbiased news outlets is a great thing. What i've seen here, and elsewhere, is something more though. People are actively calling for the arrest of 'journalists' and calling the media the enemy of the people. This is dangerous rhetoric.

At the end of the day, nearly every media outlet is biased. It's a problem, but it's one we have to deal with. I tend to support WikiLeaks in that regard, for it is a library of truth backed by what Julian Assange calls 'scientific journalism'. This is something everyone should get behind in such a climate.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Oh, CNN said something you don't like or agree with? They must be fake news and terrorist-sympathisers who want nothing more than to see the downfall of the United States! Fox News says something you don't like?

Satan herself did not win , lets make a million threads trying to make ourselves feel better . GET OVER IT .

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
I fear it is worse than this.
The media gets it's orders from the corps or wealthy with specific buzz words and then like clock work all the usual news shows spout the same stories. There is no investigation because there are very few reporters.

The free press is supposed to be an unofficial 4the leg of freedom. keeping the citizens informed of what the numb skulls are doing.

Now they appear to just make innuendo and repeat rumors to fill time slots. Not fake as unfortunately many stories have a negative rant and are totally fabricated without sources.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Comparing Mark Dice to CNN......

I guess that is a legitimate comparison.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Oh, CNN said something you don't like or agree with? They must be fake news and terrorist-sympathisers who want nothing more than to see the downfall of the United States! Fox News says something you don't like?

Satan herself did not win , lets make a million threads trying to make ourselves feel better . GET OVER IT .

You quoted half a paragraph where i blasted both sides and then took it out of context by complaining that i'm trying to make myself feel better because Clinton didn't win. This is bull#. I don't support Clinton and any perusal of my posting history shows that. I've only noticed an uptick in rhetoric against the media, and i intended to address it with my first thread in over 6 months.
edit on 4-3-2017 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I think that during the press conf, Donald had, we saw that even when given the opportunity to give the American Public HIS OWN WORDS AND ANSWERS he did NOT....The Free Press is what makes America GREAT, not the FAKE NEWS BS....there is enough real news out there to report on...

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
....and actively campaigning for a confrontation with a nuclear power isn't dangerous?

These people have the same sick minds and filthy habits of their masters they are no sacred cow and have deserved all the criticism they recieved

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I'd worry more about it if the media were more honest about their own inherent bias.

I don't mind it when people attack sources like Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. They are pundits. They are open in their bias. If you are a left-leaning person, you know what you are going to get from them. I only disagree with people over what they say when I judge an attack to be unfair, as in what they have said has been grossly taken out of context or misconstrued to make them look like devils they actually aren't.

But with sources like CNN and the NYT or WaPo who claim to be objective and without a bias, it has been exposed this is not so. They DO have an inherent bias they push in their news. They actually are pundits of another sort. They are left-leaning, but they claim not to be. And that's just as dangerous as anything someone might say about them being fake.

I mean, WaPo is one of the sources leading the charge on the Russian outrage train. And pretty every so-called Russian connection they've uncovered in their reporting has pretty much been uncovered as nothingburger to date. It's gotten so predictable that article even has a formula for how it goes.

And as I repeat, if they would just come clean and admit their bias, they could report whatever they wanted, but they keep selling themselves as objective and sources of record.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It's not bias if it's true.

Every media outlet at present mixes opinion with news; the faux outrage is laughable (from either "side.")

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Every media outlet at present mixes opinion with news; the faux outrage is laughable (from either "side.")

But it can be.

Let's look at the recent Russian flap.

OMG, a senator met with the Russian ambassador!

That is certainly true, and they selectively pick that fact out to link to their ongoing conspiracy with the new administration and Russians. Nevermind that many, many senators also met with the Russian ambassador as part of their jobs all the time. Just like Senators meet with ambassadors of many other nations ... just like the same senator in question had had a private meeting with the ambassador of Ukraine in his office the day before the Russian ambassador.

OMG! Should we be worried that Ukraine controls our new government too?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Then it ceases to be "news" and becomes news ANALYSIS or editorialism. Call a blue bird blue.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

John Swinton on the Free Press:

One night, probably in 1880, John Swinton, then the preeminent New York journalist, was the guest of honor at a banquet given him by the leaders of his craft. Someone who knew neither the press nor Swinton offered a toast to the independent press. Swinton outraged his colleagues by replying:
“There is no such thing, at this date of the world’s history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with.
Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.
The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?
We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes.”

edit on 4-3-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The media became a dangerous entity, when they went from independent to conglomerates back in the 70s, they became soo big and full of crap that they forgot to give news to the people and started to influence peoples opinions.

That is where the danger started, now that people woke up to their manipulation the media has lost his grip on the manufactured reality they were selling to the public and they has been call for what they are.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join