It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loophole in U.S. Steel Executive Order

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

What was I meant to be reading?
Oh, nothing much. Just that the Keystone pipeline is owned by a foreign interest and has nothing whatsoever to do with US "infrastructure". It is a privately owned enterprise.

Im not saying anyone should ignore it, Im saying they sj ould be scraped.
Free trade only benefits the mega rich, everyone else gets screwed.
If Isreal can ignore the UN and international agreements at will I dont see why the US cant turn around and say "This is not in our national interests" every country should.
All is see there is non-sequitors.

I have no idea and dont actually care about the pipeline, going forward EVERY COUNTRY not just the US should be using locally produced materials whenever possible
No matter how much it costs! The government should have the power to tell everyone where to buy their goods! But maybe you missed the part about the pipelines not being government projects. Or maybe you couldn't be bothered.

edit on 3/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

What was I meant to be reading?
Oh, nothing much. Just that the Keystone pipeline is owned by a foreign interest and has nothing whatsoever to do with US "infrastructure". It is a privately owned enterprise.

Im not saying anyone should ignore it, Im saying they sj ould be scraped.
Free trade only benefits the mega rich, everyone else gets screwed.
If Isreal can ignore the UN and international agreements at will I dont see why the US cant turn around and say "This is not in our national interests" every country should.

I have no idea and dont actually care about the pipeline, going forward EVERY COUNTRY not just the US should be using locally produced materials whenever possible
No matter how much it costs! The government should have the power to tell everyone where to buy their goods! But maybe you missed the part about the pipelines not being government projects. Or maybe you couldn't be bothered.

Well then if the rest of the job gets done with US made steel Id say its a win, wouldnt you?

Very similar to your response to my first post

Having everything manufactured overseas will cost alot more in the long run.
Im not advocating for the Gov sticking its nose in anyones business, Im saying that for Gov contracts as much as possible should come from producers within that country, not just the US but everywhere.

So what did you think of my initial statement

I really dont understand why people are upset? Those of you upset by this, do you suggest they send back the steel that has already been purchased and ask for a refund?

Ill call this one a broken promise if any gov contracts BUY non American steel from now on.
Orders made prior to the EO should be exempt

Instead of picking up on an unimportant misunderstanding on my part do you agree with my premise or not?

See if you can answer a simple question with a multi sentence response instead of a glib one liner or link

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Well then if the rest of the job gets done with US made steel Id say its a win, wouldnt you?
It won't be, because the memorandum does not require it nor does the scope of the memorandum imply it. But no, if it costs more it isn't actually a win for anyone but those who sell the overpriced materials. I wonder if Trump's tax returns would reveal investments in US steel manufacturers.

Having everything manufactured overseas will cost alot more in the long run.
Im not advocating for the Gov sticking its nose in anyones business, Im saying that for Gov contracts as much as possible should come from producers within that country, not just the US but everywhere.
Why will it cost more in the long run? When the project is done, that's it. Cost of construction is cost of construction. If the cost of materials are lower, the cost of construction is lower. The project costs less and the contractor's profits are higher. Trump knows that. That's why he used Chinese steel for his projects.

Instead of picking up on an unimportant misunderstanding on my part do you agree with my premise or not?
If your premise is that the US Government should have the power to tell private contractors where they must by their materials I do not agree. If I am mistaken in your premise I suppose I have failed to grasp your actual point.

edit on 3/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I agree that President Trump is dutifully trying to make things better in America but he is in fact human. By virtue of being human mistakes will be made. Many butthurt folks will take every opportunity to point out how terrible he is and for them I have a gift.

I think he is trying to push companies in the right direction with this EO. Most pipelines, although not government projects, need government approval. If they want something they have to give something back. Pretty fair cut and dry deal if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It won't be, because the memorandum does not require it nor does the scope of the memorandum imply it. But no, if it costs more it isn't actually a win for anyone but those who sell the overpriced materials. I wonder if Trump's tax returns would reveal investments in US steel manufacturers.

Overpriced???
You realise the margins are likely smaller for a US company supplying the steel at a higher cost than it is for its Chinese competitor charging pennies?
What about the American steel workers? Would they not win if companies were required to use American steel?
And what about the people in those communities who sell goods and services that those workers can now afford to utilise?
Or how about Americans in general who would benefit from the money circulating in the economy and not going overseas?

Why will it cost more in the long run? When the project is done, that's it. Cost of construction is cost of construction. If the cost of materials are lower, the cost of construction is lower. The project costs less and the contractor's profits are higher. Trump knows that. That's why he used Chinese steel for his projects.

It will cost more in the long run due to the reasons listed above, the money leaves the economy never to be seen again.
So is your argument that you feel sympathy for these huge contractors whos profits will go from the 100's of millions to the 10's of millions?

If your premise is that the US Government should have the power to tell private contractors where they must by their materials I do not agree. If I am mistaken in your premise I suppose I have failed to grasp your actual point.

That wasnt my point but I dont think its a bad one.
My point was that for any Gov tenders or infrastructure projects for the US companies should be using American made materials where ever possible and every other country should be doing the same

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

While you make good points, sometimes all you need is bark.

This could be a message that going forward if you want your pipeline green lit, use US steel. Like everything else, we will see what effect this has.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Fifteen or so years ago all major industrial construction specifications required domestic pipe and structural steel. The problem became you could not adhere to specifications because the products were not available at times. Before you knew it, it became reality that we had to use foreign to build whatever we were building because of availability.

edit on 4-3-2017 by LaitModelFan because: spelling

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LaitModelFan
Fifteen to twenty years ago all major industrial construction specifications required domestic pipe and structural steel. The problem became you could not adhere to specifications because the products were not available at times. Before you knew it, it became reality that we had to use foreign to build whatever we were building because of availability.

Availability and it is cheaper.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee
I remember them not caring about the price. It was quality . And even when it started happening , they would say No Chinese steel .

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
Does that mean I can't order any more Pak knives or Japanese katanas from ebay?

What about the custom damascus steel blades made in the UK?

Time to get you an anvil and what not. Oh wait you would still have to get american steel.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join