It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loophole in U.S. Steel Executive Order

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I was really excited when Trump wrote the EO to insure that all pipelines would be using U.S. made steel going forward.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

From the replies, many of you did as well. A report today shows that a small loophole is being opened regarding the status of the DAPL.

It would be hard to do an about-face on Keystone because it is already under construction and the steel has been acquired, Ms. Sanders said.

I'll have to gather some more information but I suppose that it was unavoidable.

Furthermore, The White House spokeswoman is misrepresenting the verbiage used in the EO.

The language in the directive Mr. Trump issued in January applies to new pipelines or those under repair, said White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Friday.

www.wsj.com...

Here is the actual executive order:

(i) With regard to iron or steel products, that all manufacturing processes for such iron or steel products, from the initial melting stage through the application of coatings, occurred in the United States.

(ii) Steel or iron material or products manufactured abroad from semi-finished steel or iron from the United States are not "produced in the United States" for purposes of this memorandum.

(iii) Steel or iron material or products manufactured in the United States from semi-finished steel or iron of foreign origin are not "produced in the United States" for purposes of this memorandum.

www.whitehouse.gov...
edit on 4-3-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Does that mean I can't order any more Pak knives or Japanese katanas from ebay?

What about the custom damascus steel blades made in the UK?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Recycled steel isn't new.

Waste of energy, but then it's a waste to smelt it wrong the first time around.

If we need steel, we should simply refuse to pay for sub standard steel.
If we did that from the start we wouldn't have a problem of exporting steel production in the first place. The cost of shipping mostly counters the production cost in the first place- difference is slave labor products for pennies a pound saved for the corporation, while eliminating good paying local jobs.

Importing things best made local should be taxed heavily. It protects local jobs, and prevents non local slave labor- while producing a superior product.

Disagree? Go talk to anyone who works with products provided by the steel industry. Try a local machine shop, if you can still find one.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Disagree? Go talk to anyone who works with products provided by the steel industry. Try a local machine shop, if you can still find one.

Guess where I am now? I agree with your whole post.

To compete on a world stage means that the world needs to catch up or we need to take a loss, as a country that is. Choose wisely.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'm unsure what loophole you are referring too?
The DAPL is basically finished, the Keystone, most all of the pipe has been purchased.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
So, another poorly conceived EO. But it sure sounded good. Looked awesome when he waved it around for the cameras too. Like my daughter showing off her macaroni art.

edit on 3/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
a reply to: JinMI

I'm unsure what loophole you are referring too?
The DAPL is basically finished, the Keystone, most all of the pipe has been purchased.

Perhaps loophole isn't quite accurate. More of a misleading EO if the fact that all had been purchased was already known by the Trump administration.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
So, another poorly conceived EO. But it sure sounded good. Looked awesome when he waved it around for the cameras too. Like my daughter showing off her macaroni art.

Pipeline is going in all the time.
The Keystone and the DAPL are far from the only pipe going in the ground in this country.
Going forward, the steel will be US made, is that a bad thing?
edit on 4-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee
First, two points.

1) The memorandum in question has nothing to do with Keystone or Dakota, contrary to the administration's hype. Makes me wonder, once again, if the president actually read it.
2) Nothing in the memorandum carries any weight. Did you read it? "The secretary of commerce...shall develop a plan." Big deal.

Second, a question for you. If it is not a Government project, what power does the government have to dictate where any contractor buys their materials? Do you think it should have such power? Know what else the EO says? " to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law." What law permits the Government to dictate where any contractor buys their materials? Air. Warm air. That's it.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

a reply to: D8Tee
First, two points.

1) The memorandum in question has nothing to do with Keystone or Dakota, contrary to the administration's hype. Makes me wonder, once again, if the president actually read it.
2) Nothing in the memorandum carries any weight. Did you read it? "The secretary of commerce...shall develop a plan." Big deal.

Second, a question for you. If it is not a Government project, what power does the government have to dictate where any contractor buys their materials? Do you think it should have such power? Know what else the EO says? " to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law." What law permits the Government to dictate where any contractor buys their materials? Air. Warm air. That's it.

Interesting points you make. Unless the US wants to contravene the WTO rules it has been abiding by, this EO looks to be all show and no go.

www.reuters.com...

The plan to require the use of U.S. steel in U.S. pipelines is a textbook case of a local content requirement the GATT/WTO has long held is inconsistent with Article III:4.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I really dont understand why people are upset?

Those of you upset by this, do you suggest they send back the steel that has already been purchased and ask for a refund?

Ill call this one a broken promise if any gov contracts BUY non American steel from now on.
Orders made prior to the EO should be exempt

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
I was really excited when the Trump

You are surprised? And you refer to him as the Trump.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Ill call this one a broken promise if any gov contracts BUY non American steel from now on.

Does the US government build pipelines?

I wonder what existing procurement laws might have to say about the matter.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Do not underestimate the Macaroni Art. It is much better than the Trump EOs.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Oops. Hehe, not a bad typo then!

Surprised? Not really. Curious to know if he was aware that all of the supplies had been purchased however.
edit on 4-3-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Oops. Hehe, not a bad typo then!

Surprised? Not really. Curious to know if he was aware that all of the supplies had been purchased however.

Yes, that was a quick jump at a joke in regard to a typo. But ..I like it. I believe The Trump is not quite all there.
edit on 4-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Phage

The plan must require the use of U.S. components “to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law” in a language inserted to help it survive a legal challenge.

Can't wait to see 'the plan'. I'm in agreement with you, hot air....Unless they are going to say adios to the WTO.
edit on 4-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

link   

Does the US government build pipelines?

I wonder what existing procurement laws might have to say about the matter.

Im not sure?
I assume because its national infrastructure they would tender out the job.

Is the UN or WTO allowed to interfere if the US Gov says it will only consider tenders from companies using American produced materials?

They probably can which means they do not have Americas intetests in mind and should be ignored.
Every country should have the right to look after its own first and foremost
edit on 4/3/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/3/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I assume because its national infrastructure they would tender out the job.
Bad assumption. en.wikipedia.org...

Is the UN or WTO allowed to interfere if the US Gov says it will only consider tenders from companies using American produced materials?
Well yes, unless you want to disregard international agreements at your convenience. Hell, it worked with the Indians, right?

Every country should have the right to look after its own first and foremost
Again, who is building the pipeline? Who owns it? Who is going to make money off of it?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Bad assumption

What was I meant to be reading?
Can we make believe Im really busy/lazy and dont have the time/cant be bothered to read a wiki article to find out if its a tendered project?

Well yes, unless you want to disregard international agreements at your convenience. Hell, it worked with the Indians, right? 

Im not saying anyone should ignore it, Im saying they sj ould be scraped.
Free trade only benefits the mega rich, everyone else gets screwed.
If Isreal can ignore the UN and international agreements at will I dont see why the US cant turn around and say "This is not in our national interests" every country should.

Again, who is building the pipeline? Who owns it? Who is going to make money off of it?

I have no idea and dont actually care about the pipeline, going forward EVERY COUNTRY not just the US should be using locally produced materials whenever possible

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join