It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Friday Night Music Thread. This Week The First Rock Opera.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

Seriously get off your British high horse and realize your mistake already. geeze!

When one resorts to insults then that's a sure sign they have lost the argument.

I hate to use bloody wiki but:

A rock musical is a musical theatre work with rock music. The genre of rock musical may overlap somewhat with album musicals, concept albums and song cycles, as they sometimes tell a story through the rock music, and some album musicals and concept albums become rock musicals. Notable examples of rock musicals include Hair, Grease, Rent, Spring Awakening, and Next to Normal. The Who's Tommy and other rock operas are sometimes presented on stage as a music

en.wikipedia.org...

End off.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Hair was never a " Rock Opera " it was always a " Musical "

It was story made for stage with added music.

And what you originally posted is not a album or even a ep right?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Seriously get off your British high horse and realize your mistake already. geeze!

When one resorts to insults then that's a sure sign they have lost the argument.

A rock musical is a musical theatre work with rock music. The genre of rock musical may overlap somewhat with album musicals, concept albums and song cycles, as they sometimes tell a story through the rock music, and some album musicals and concept albums become rock musicals. Notable examples of rock musicals include Hair, Grease, Rent, Spring Awakening, and Next to Normal. The Who's Tommy and other rock operas are sometimes presented on stage as a music

en.wikipedia.org...

End off.
It wasn't a insult, Just a fact in the way your appeal is and many other Brits.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

End off.
And yet you contradict yourself again, lol You have no idea between concept album, theater, play, musical or album. Again was the OP about a video or just a video of some old hippies playing together? Where the conceptual album or the "Rock opera" you claim? LOL
edit on 3 3 2017 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired

en.wikipedia.org...

End off.
And yet you contradict yourself again, lol You have no idea between concept album, theater, play, musical or album. Again was the OP about a video or just a video of some old hippies playing together? Where the conceptual album or the "Rock opera" you claim? LOL

I think you have lost the plot. Or just trolling.

See ya.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired

en.wikipedia.org...

End off.

I think you have lost the plot. Or just trolling.

See ya.
Honestly I am not trolling you. Show me where this "ORIGINAL Rock Opera" was pressed and released and i will let it go. Yea just a youtube video. jeese i can show better beatles rock operas than this junk. Yellow submarine?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Honestly i would say "Tommy" was the 1st before what you presented. Don't get me wrong what you posted was cool all in all, but it's not what you say it is.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Took flag back

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I knew Andrew Loyd Webbers original Jesus Christ Superstar was not the original "Rock opera" But i found this gem, thanks to the OP.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

OP, cool thread!

Don't let it get bogged down with nay-saying and pointless 'Hair-splitting.' Thanks for sharing.

edit on 3-3-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I think a Joe Walsh 'rock opera' would've been pretty cool if not completely insane...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Wow, nice video, I'd never seen that before. Kind of puts things in perspective for me because I didn't start playing guitar until 1973. Joe is one of the guys I relate to stylistically, I learned a lot from his playing as well as Page and a few others back in the day. This is right in my vein, thanks.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
I think a Joe Walsh 'rock opera' would've been pretty cool if not completely insane...

Thanks, I like Joe too. haven't seen this video yet.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
I used to have all the who's tapes and live at Leeds was the album that started it all for me

Perhaps the pretty things were influenced by Townsends little mini opera a quick one while he's away that I think is older than tommy

The only problem with " A Quick One " is the fact that one of the tracks is " Heatwave " which is not an original Who song. It's a cover of the song by Martha Reeves.

Not the album mate but the track,they needed another 10 mins on their album so Pete whipped up "a quick one while he's away"

You know the Ivor the engine driver Girl Guide one

He called it his mini opera and their performance on the Rolling Stones circus while playing this track is amazing if you can find a video of it online as it shows the band in their prime with tight vocal harmonies

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

1967 saw an amazing happening unheard until then. Hardly "operatic" still...in the hippie "summer of love"...thereabouts occurred...all within that small time frame of wonderment

1967 (orchestral and choir arrangements included)

Days of Future Passed-Moody Blues
Sgt Pepper-Beatles
Satanic Majesties-Rolling Stones

]
edit on 4-3-2017 by mysterioustranger because: edit

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join