It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lefty Fascists Shut Down Yet Another College Speech

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I would not attend a conference on why my favourite author was a hack though, even in my hometown. No precognition needed, I am in charge of my self and simply going to an event I dislike then getting so mad I get violent is not a wise thing to do.

Also, not inviting speakers that you view as causing violence in others obviously means there is no precognition needed either, as you must know this in order to consider them a bad idea to invite.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Didn't you know? ISIS is just a peaceful protest against American Imperialism.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: MysticPearl

Lefty Fascists? Stop whining about an event you didn't even attend. There were protesters. People can protest.

Anarchists too? Surprised you didn't throw in commie. And terrorists too. LOL It seems you wouldn't know a terrorist if one bit you on the nose.

So, Reidra, assaulting a college professor seems to be OK by you, if it is for the Leftist cause.
Even if she is a woman.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

It's exactly what you said.

Nope. I don't mean that at all. If it were up to me, I would like to invite intellectually challenging speakers, in comparison to the status quo on campus, but I might avoid some that could cause violent incidents.

You would decline bringing right leaning speakers as to avoid potential violent reactions.

It would depend on who the speaker was. The same as if I was an administrator at a conservative college, I would avoid Liberal speakers that might cause an incident.

And believe me, I could handle either job.

edit on 3-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

They are fascists when they follow fascist ideology.

link   

originally posted by: Learningman

I would not attend a conference on why my favourite author was a hack though, even in my hometown. No precognition needed, I am in charge of my self and simply going to an event I dislike then getting so mad I get violent is not a wise thing to do.

Also, not inviting speakers that you view as causing violence in others obviously means there is no precognition needed either, as you must know this in order to consider them a bad idea to invite.

Yes but that's rational behavior: don't attend an event that you don't want to attend, and don't go listen to somebody talk that you don't want to hear talk.

We shouldn't expect that of our precious college age folks.

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

To clear up the "answer" to your question: it's not bigotry when you refuse to allow somebody who's going to upset people to talk.

That's the very definition of bigotry.

noun, plural bigotries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

www.dictionary.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

They are fascists when they follow fascist ideology.

Who? The Fascists?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Shamrock6

To clear up the "answer" to your question: it's not bigotry when you refuse to allow somebody who's going to upset people to talk.

That's the very definition of bigotry.

noun, plural bigotries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

www.dictionary.com...

Great job, Captain Obvious. Glad you picked up on the sarcasm.

link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

If only speech from one side is allowed on a campus, is that not transparent bigotry?

"big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries

intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself."

All forms of hate are based in bigotry are they not? I can't think of a case where bigotry is not hate.

I would think so. But if it were up to me, I would, again, pick some speakers for the year that challenged the campus status quo, but would probably not cause a protest with unknown campus safety issues.

OK, so you also think that it is bigotry. Then why is it not wrong to deny others the right to hear a speaker they wish to hear and the speaker the right to speak? Those doing so are in fact definitive bigot's.

I'm still curious why you don't defend the Rights of the speaker to speak and those wanting to hear them to hear them?

This is a very steep and dangerous slippery slope, allowing any side of any issue to silence others. It is wrong on it's face and those doing so are a danger to freedom. The world has seen this before, when one side silences the other.
edit on 3/3/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Well, opposing views should be heard and certainly what hate peddlers have to say should be discussed. Actually having hate peddlers speak seems a little odd though. Akin to having KKK members come speak.

And of course only one group gets to decide what 'hate' is...

link   

That sucks, if people are in college and resort to violence, just because they dont like speakers or what they say, then they shouldn't be in colleges, they should be having anger management classes instead.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Yes and people are free to protest what another says.

How do they protest what another says if they do not let the other person say it. Do protesters need to be full raging A holes too? lol

They can protest outside, hold signs, pass out pamphlets, even hold a rally...They have a lot of tools to use to get their message across without limiting another's free speech.....

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

It's exactly what you said.

Nope. I don't mean that at all. If it were up to me, I would like to invite intellectually challenging speakers, in comparison to the status quo on campus, but I might avoid some that could cause violent incidents.

You would decline bringing right leaning speakers as to avoid potential violent reactions.

It would depend on who the speaker was. The same as if I was an administrator at a conservative college, I would avoid Liberal speakers that might cause an incident.

And believe me, I could handle either job.

Do you have examples of conservative colleges acting like this towards a liberal speaker?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

And you'll remain curious, because the answer to your question is not one that can be given without completely outing one's self as supporting the shut-down of any and all things right.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
"Think how I think or I'll shout you down and attack you" - fascism.

"Think how I think or I'll shout you down and attack you" - left wing ideology

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

That is a problem though, as there are as many scientific studies that say that any intelligence differences are purely genetic (and therefore that is racist science), as there are those that show intelligence is based upon environment. Both are accepted as scientifically correct, suggesting the truth lies in the middleground, but because one field places Asians, then ethno-Europeans, then Latin peoples, then sub-Saharan Africans as the scale for intelligence and shows that a sino-European on average lies in between the Asian and ethno-European scores, it is dismissed as being purely racist.

Both views have merit, and both views have troubling implications when it comes to the idea that all man is equal.

To deny either a platform is a disservice to science.

I will agree with you on the homosexuality being a choice as there is very very small amounts of anecdotal data to suggest it is, as opposed to vast swathes of scientific data suggesting it isn't.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Oh come on...how can you support the obstruction of free speech?

I used to be liberal until the last 8 years...you folks are destroying society...you will reap what you sow.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: Learningman

Yes but that's rational behavior: don't attend an event that you don't want to attend, and don't go listen to somebody talk that you don't want to hear talk.

We shouldn't expect that of our precious college age folks.

That is just obtuse. Of course college students will protest speakers at their college or university that they deeply do not like. At a Liberal or Conservative school. Has been that way for 100 years or more.

It doesn't mean they are 'precious' or soft in some way. They are what is our future. Has been that way probably since the beginning of time.

I can imagine similar protests in ancient Athens.

Oddly, somehow, all of them are commie anarchist snowflakes with coloring books now. It's just an absurd idea.

I would think most people know better. This is not new even in a thousand years.
edit on 3-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

You are incorrect about what accepted science is.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join