It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Solar Industry Now Employs Twice As Many People As Coal

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I hear you, but I think we do this in steps. It doesn't all happen at once and it's not all Governments job to do it. The private Sector like Tesla/Solar City for one example is leading the charge.

What we need to do first is make it easier to put solar panels on your home. State and local Governments are putting up barriers and extra charges. They don't need to subsidize it but they need to make it easy to do.

Secondly, make it easier to sell and buy electric cars. It shouldn't be governments job to make it hard to do this. Tesla for an example again, has had barriers put up because auto dealers don't like the no dealership/showroom model. Let the free market be the free market.

Thirdly, our Government has to stop subsidizing coal/oil and Car companies. That's to the tune of Billions of dollars a year. if Coal is not a viable business model then let it fail on it's own. We shouldn't be subsidizing it.

Fourth. Epa. Their one job should be to monitor and fine polluters. Give them the teeth to do that.

If we start there and few more common sense things, the rest starts to take care of itself.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Coal isn't all about energy, I don't know why everyone is so against it. Coal has many other usages other than burning it..

"Thousands of products are made with coal or coal by-products, including aspirins, soap, dyes, solvents, plastics, and fibers such as rayon or nylon. Coal is an important ingredient in production of products that require activated carbon, carbon fiber or silicon metal."

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

I was thinking more about job opportunities for the technologically-dispossessed. In the mines and elsewhere.

Disruptive Change - Humans Need Not Apply.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
"So is the solar revolution finally here? Not quite. Even after a decade of rampant growth solar energy still barely moves the needle in the U.S. energy mix. In fact, solar merely equals the amount of electricity that the nation generates by burning natural gas captured from landfills. And it's only slightly more meaningful than the 7.3 million Mwh we get from burning human waste strained out of municipal sewer systems."

www.forbes.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
"So is the solar revolution finally here? Not quite. ..."

www.forbes.com...

...That Forbes article is from 2014. Here is Forbes' latest, dated January 25, 2017:

Solar Employs More People In U.S. Electricity Generation Than Oil, Coal And Gas Combined

In the United States, more people were employed in solar power last year than in generating electricity through coal, gas and oil energy combined. According to a new report from the U.S. Department of Energy, solar power employed 43 percent of the Electric Power Generation sector's workforce in 2016, while fossil fuels combined accounted for just 22 percent. ...

Just under 374,000 people were employed in solar energy, according to the report, while coal, gas and oil power generation combined had a workforce of slightly more than 187,000. The boom in the country's solar workforce can be attributed to construction work associated with expanding generation capacity. The gulf in employment is growing with net generation from coal falling 53 percent over the last decade. During the same period, electricity generation from natural gas increased 33 percent while solar expanded 5,000 percent.

edit on 3/3/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Nice retirement job for me in 6 years. Hopefully.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I was in town to pay my car insurance and there was a lady there filling a claim for water leaking into her home from the damage done by the solar panels company when they put solar panels on the roof of her home..

If you are having solar put on your home get insurance to cover leaks and other damage caused by the solar company.
Your regular homeowner insurance does not cover you roof after solar panels are put on it..

plus it will not cover removing and replacing the panels to repair the roof.
edit on 3-3-2017 by ANNED because: added information

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: xuenchen

Or bc fossil fuel mining is much more mechanized and automated.

Automated solar panel installers don't exist yet

Mining too much is outdated. Eventually you dig too deep and have to quit. Solar energy doesn't require too much mining.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

And ?

Twice as many people will be put out of work when the weather changes see climate change.

Not true. The counter to that is WIND POWER! Plus Solar panels actually work in cloudy days, but not as strong.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev
Don't forget to buy them back on the dip

a reply to: TinfoilTP
Thats alot garbage in my lungs every month. I like my air clean.

Anyone who refuses to see the sun is our future, and our destiny, must be illuminated! Solar startups are yielding very well to investors year to year.

edit on 3-3-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hear everyone has solar

Dust covered most likaly barley working
The power company will no longer buy solar power from new installs

We also got Ivanpah Solar Power Facility

Different kind of solar power it even works after the sun goes down for a few

Out farther between there and LA is a thorium reactor

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

And ?

Twice as many people will be put out of work when the weather changes see climate change.

Not true. The counter to that is WIND POWER! Plus Solar panels actually work in cloudy days, but not as strong.

Sorry but solar does require mining for the rare earths to make the panels.

In the US ONLY Molycorp of California mines the rare earths needed for solar panels , wind turbines, LED light bulbs, and high tech batteries for electric cars.

This is something only Trump can help with getting the permits to open other rare earth mines in the US that the democrats have been blocking for years.
Plus the democrats have blocked the recycling of rare earths in the US so that rare earth scrap has been going back to china only to be sold back to the US at high cost.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

And ?

Try a cloudy day in the winter in say Canada?
Solar ain't all that great.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The panels are getting more efficient every day. I have 285 watt panels in my warehouse right now and the next shipment is 320 watts each. In 50 years or so I expect a large amount of our power needs will be derived from solar.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
The panels are getting more efficient every day. I have 285 watt panels in my warehouse right now and the next shipment is 320 watts each. In 50 years or so I expect a large amount of our power needs will be derived from solar.

You are never going to cut back 36 quadrillion in costs just for solar panels alone, it will never happen. That is just for one Country, the US at 5 years ago that doesn't include installation, maintenance, connection to the grid, the rest of the world.....dream on.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

36 quadrillion in costs

What, exactly, is that number supposed to represent?
'Cuz, it's a really, really big number.

edit on 3/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

36 quadrillion in costs

What, exactly, is that number supposed to represent?
'Cuz, it's a really, really big number.

The number is defined a few posts back.

Briefly,
The KW hours the US consumed in 2012 converted into how many of todays efficient solar panels needed to supply that energy, using average cost per panel of 200 dollars factoring in more panels needed because there is only 8 hours of optimal daylight with non optimal conditions during them hours over a year by things like weather.

If you factor in maintenance, installation, connecting to the grid, storage batteries etc, you get into the next really really big number past quadrillion.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Ah. Those "factors."

Thing is, PV works really, really well in some places. Less so in others. Thing is, there are other options as well. Thing is, burning coal is more expensive than gas. Nastier too.

edit on 3/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Thats great!

Now, when ALL the people who work energy production are working on renewables, THAT will be a time for celebration!

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: soficrow

Thats great!

Now, when ALL the people who work energy production are working on renewables, THAT will be a time for celebration!

And the key word is...

DIVERSIFY!

We are NOT here to support monopolies in industry or anything else. A danger the founding fathers identified clearly. Too bad about the amnesia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join