It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to fix the criminal justice system?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Those additional costs seem to be issues within the system and are procedural in nature. Fix the leaky system and change the process. Return to the sensible days prior to this system, such as what was used in the old west. Accused has their day before a jury, conviction is made, judge sentences to death, justice is carried out the following day on the gallows outside the courthouse. All issues easily resolved.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

"Why use a SJW argument when a fiscal one makes just as much sense?"

I am quite familiar with the costs associated with death penalty cases and much of it is unnecessary. The trial and appeals process is generally based on a court appointed attorney who is overworked and understaffed resulting in years of delay and continuances, even after a verdict the defendant seems to have endless grounds for appeal. The solution is simple: if you are convicted you get to appeal once to the State bench and once to the Federal bench if there are grounds and that is it.

The real reason so few sentenced to death are executed lies in politics....the governors don't think it is politically expedient.

edit on 3-3-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I guess you misunderstood my point. People who commit serious crimes wouldn't be allowed to defend themselves. I don't care about the reason why people do evil things. If you rape a person or kill someone you get no hearing or a lawyer. You are guilty and get a bullet to the head. This saves a lot of money too. Like i said i'm not blinded by emotion or empathy. I'm just practical regarding such things. I'm sick and tired of whiny serious criminals who complain about how life treated them and that they were forced to do evil things. I don't care about petty thiefs or tax fraud. Lock them up in a minimum prison and that's it. I just want the really messed up evil people gone. Erased from society to build a new world. Get rid of the maximum prison system all together.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

We still have a Constitution and Bill of Rights and that is important and must be protected. If we let the criminals dehumanize us then we have become what we hate.....remember it's always a fair trial and then we hang them.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

I guess you misunderstood my point. People who commit serious crimes wouldn't be allowed to defend themselves. I don't care about the reason why people do evil things. If you rape a person or kill someone you get no hearing or a lawyer. You are guilty and get a bullet to the head. This saves a lot of money too. Like i said i'm not blinded by emotion or empathy. I'm just practical regarding such things. I'm sick and tired of whiny serious criminals who complain about how life treated them and that they were forced to do evil things. I don't care about petty thiefs or tax fraud. Lock them up in a minimum prison and that's it. I just want the really messed up evil people gone. Erased from society to build a new world. Get rid of the maximum prison system all together.

WOW So if I decide to murder you all I have to do is swear you raped me and bingo the government will off you for me. Hmmm this could be useful! [/sarc]

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Apples and oranges. I'm going to say the unspoken between our countries: race.

Need I say more? It's such a harsh and difficult problem in the US-just take Chicago-enough said.

Our societies are not compatible therefore our cultures will not respond the same-I wish.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

The police and forensic department would still need to do there job of course. If the evidence proofs your guilt than you would be done for. Too much money gets wasted to defend evil people like mob bosses,cartel leader,terrorists and so forth and they find ways to weasel themselves out of those situations most of the time. I would just cut out the middle man to sentence them to death.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

A bullet is not that expensive. Just shoot them in the head and cremate the remains. The execution method doesn't need to be humane for this scum.

The method of death isn't the reason why it is so expensive. Read the link I just posted about this post.

Sounds like the system needs to be reformed to make it much more expedient and less costly then.

The reason it is so slow and costly is because we want to make DAMN sure that the person we are killing is actually guilty.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It's not about protecting the guilty. It's about protecting the possibly wrongfully accused. Actually it's also about protecting the guilty. Even the guilty are entitled to the rights in the Bill of Rights.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
But for serious crimes like murder and pedophilia, surely they should have lufe without parole?

I would agree with that, but that's not most crimes. In general I would like to see us using prison less. I still like my idea that we sentence people to X years, but then give them time off their sentence if they participate in a job training program while behind bars.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

Apples and oranges. I'm going to say the unspoken between our countries: race.

Need I say more? It's such a harsh and difficult problem in the US-just take Chicago-enough said.

Our societies are not compatible therefore our cultures will not respond the same-I wish.

So that means we shouldn't even ATTEMPT it? Just declare it a lost cause and give up before even trying?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

A bullet is not that expensive. Just shoot them in the head and cremate the remains. The execution method doesn't need to be humane for this scum.

The method of death isn't the reason why it is so expensive. Read the link I just posted about this post.

Sounds like the system needs to be reformed to make it much more expedient and less costly then.

The reason it is so slow and costly is because we want to make DAMN sure that the person we are killing is actually guilty.

Which is what the first trial is for.

Appeals and 15-20 years on death row are quite clearly just obstruction of justice on the part of the defence.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Which is what the first trial is for.

Appeals and 15-20 years on death row are quite clearly just obstruction of justice on the part of the defence.

Yet there are STILL people cleared off of death row all the time as new evidence comes to light.
The Innocence List
You'll note that the last one to happen was this past January.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

In addition the death penalty can only be applied if the evidence is overwhelming and without a shadow of the doubt. That way obstructionists have no justification for wasting the courts' time.

The system offers several appeals because everyone knows our courts aren't perfect. The idea is that if we can convict with say 95% certainty multiple times, then chances are after 5 appeals or whatever, we've probably gotten it right.

Despite that there have been a lot of cases where we've learned only in hindsight that we executed an innocent person. Sometimes the real killer confesses, and sometimes we realize the evidence isn't as ironclad as was believed. For example lie detectors, once considered perfect are now inadmissable in court... yet people got the death penalty over failing them. We've been finding in recent years that a lot of forensic evidence is unreliable for various reasons too. Sometimes this just puts someone behind bars, and other times it's resulted in an execution.

The fact is, we only very rarely have 100% certainty that someone committed a capital crime but when we kill them, they're 100% dead.

I think life in prison is a much better solution as it gives us the opportunity to reverse a decision if/when we later find it to be wrong.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I've worked in and around the criminal justice system and from that experience, I can definitively tell you the following:
1) You can't fix the courts systems, there's too much money around.
2) Most all Grade 3 criminals will be repeat offenders. They can't be rehabilitated and its cheaper to simply dump them into an area cordoned off from "General Population", (i.e. the non-offending population), where you can air drop them drugs and food. They typically die off in 3~5 years.
3) Life sentences are a total waste of tax payer money. For Grade 4 criminals, there's only two workable solutions; a) cap'em, b) lobotomize them.

And there you have it.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

That's the problem with the current justice system. Some people just don't deserve this kind of protection. Waste of space,time,money and ressources. Everything could be better spent to help the people who are genuinely interested to live and work in a civil society. I know my solution is coldhearted but our current system isn't working. The world is already overcrowded and we need to reduce the population in the near future. 2 birds with 1 stone.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

And my question to you would be...........just how much taxpayer money do you want to throw at this problem?

How much is enough?

Ever notice something? The more the US spends on education, the worse the result. Same thing with the Criminal justice system.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

There's a very real argument that we aren't spending enough on the criminal justice system. The law says that if you cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed. Our courts are currently so overwhelmed that that's simply not true. If we want to maintain current spending on our justice system we need to reduce the case burden by an order of magnitude.

I think this is one argument we can use to start taking laws off the books actually, to streamline our justice system. But the courts have other ideas. Cities and states rely on fines from court judgments for revenue. More convictions = more money so they haven't gone along with this method of starving the system.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

That's the problem with the current justice system. Some people just don't deserve this kind of protection. Waste of space,time,money and ressources. Everything could be better spent to help the people who are genuinely interested to live and work in a civil society. I know my solution is coldhearted but our current system isn't working. The world is already overcrowded and we need to reduce the population in the near future. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Go live in Russia then. In the States there is no such thing as someone not deserving their rights.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

No. I didn't even approach that issue.

I'm speaking culture. We Americans do have a culture of crime-and it is definitely bewildering-there's evil that must be flushed from our society. I do not mean those in jail for drugs unless they have caused the death of another.

Our culture accepts thugs in music, movies like the Godfather, etc. You have to see the accepted drama of crime in our country.

Economic, racial divides are beyond not fair and the business of privatization of jails and criminals in the LEOs -just wow.

There needs to be a serious change in how we even begin to understand the damages being done because we have messed up so badly and it's just getting worse-and the evil perpetrators, bad lawyers, private prisons etc will not change-that's just silly.

There will have to be big societal answers before we can expect a fair and just system to prevail in our country.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join