It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senator Threatens Citizen With Arrest If They Continue Asking For A Town Hall

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think my representative has an answering machine that lets you leave a message if no one picks up if I am remembering right. and yes, they called me back, even though I am a dem and he's a republican. lol... he's also one of the ones avoiding his constituents at the present time so I don't know if I would get a return call now. if he had tried to call that many times and was given an opportunity to leave a message well to keep calling is harassment in my opinion... kind of like all those telemarketers that call four or five times a day but never leave a message when the answering machine picks up. you're in britain i think, so you might not know just how annoying that can be but I bet just about every poster here on ATS living in the states can tell you. half the time I want to just disconnect my phone and live without it. people can start writing me letters if they want to say something to me!

edit on 3-3-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: Spider879

I agree that they are elected to serve the people. That said, I also have seen the way many leftists have gone to great lengths to disrupt official business of elected government officials. Even this article says that activists have flooded representatives with and overwhelming amount phone calls (paraphrased), and I'm not surprised that they received a request to voice their concerns using a specific form of communication. This is how you filter out people trying to cause problems from those with any genuine constitution to convey a real concern.
Then maybe they should have a town hall.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: EightAhoy
Do you think calling an office 160 times in four days is warranted? What about the other 5.7M people of Wisconsin who may want to contact the Senator?

Milwaukee Man Receives Cease and Desist Letter from Senator Johnson's office

Good admits he's persistent; so persistent, on one occasion he called Senator Johnson's office 83 times until someone picked up. "The day before was 40 to get through. The day before that was 8. The day before that was 29, so they’re very aware of who I am by my cell phone number,” says Good.

Despite the local office being accommodating, the recipient of the letter continues to harass the Washington office. The recipient of the C&D admits he has been aggressive.

“I have been aggressive, but the reason I call multiple times is the issue of the day and also because I am a concerned citizen. And I will keep calling, and the reason I continue to dial is until I talk to someone in the office," says Good.

This is NOT an issue of the Senator being unaccommodating. It is an issue of an constituent assuming his right to access the staff and Senator (160 calls in four days) takes priority over the other 5.7M people the Senator represents.

Good says he's been to Johnson's Milwaukee office on two occasions. He calls the local office "accommodating," but takes issue with the response in D.C.

Harassment of the staff is unacceptable.

A spokesperson for Senator Johnson responded, saying, "Constituents are always welcome and encouraged to contact our office with their concerns, regardless of political viewpoint. Unfortunately, very infrequently a pattern of inappropriate behavior emerges that crosses the bounds of decency and requires action to ensure the well being of visitors to the office and staff."

C&D for 160 calls over four days should also come with a mental health assessment, and loss of access to cable news.

It`s always nice to see the rest of the story,
apparently his grievances have been addressed and he just doesn`t like the answer.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Taxation without representation. Time to redouble your efforts and call BS on his CD,

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: EightAhoy

I wonder what an examination of the Senators office phone records would show. Was the gentleman who received the C&D notice actually blocking the phone do you think?

Also, are they suggesting that he called and was answered on one hundred and sixty occasions, or just that he dialed and waited that many times, because there is a big difference.

Not sure what you're asking about in your first point, but apparently he calls until someone answers his call, and he even mentions he calls about "the issue of the day". I take that to mean he calls daily.

Pure speculation on my part but this portion of the quote by the Senator's spokesperson (posted in my original response) prompts me wonder if the man is also vulgar during his communications: "a pattern of inappropriate behavior emerges that crosses the bounds of decency"

Eighty-three calls--even if only attempted and not answered (maybe he received busy signals or voice mail, I don't know)--in a single day, 160 over four days sounds like someone who needs attention, possibly from social services.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

It does sound like a level of fixation that is typically reserved for the deranged.

But the opportunity to make a political hit headline presents itself, so.......

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

You do know that is a standard form sent out to folks that get "rowdy". No , I guess not. I guess too many Libs were threatening the man . I can see it trying to defend a POS legislation due to it being their Messiah's last hope at a positive future outlook. Aint gonna happen.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Our local has town halls but you have to reserve a space because of all the problems with the January one. They just wanted to disrupt not talk. It lasted about 20 minutes before he walked out. They demand them in everuy town so they don't have to drive so this months is a call in and you have to register. all he has to do is mute and talk. Lines can be opened one at a time to take questions.

Of course thay had a couple without him and made a big deal because he didn't show.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

And you headline is misleading. Only one person who probably deserved it.
edit on 3-3-2017 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why would anyone want to have a town hall meeting when you know it is not going to be anything other than a chaotic event. I side with the senator on this one. Don't feed the piranhas.

A bunch of activists will dominate the meeting and nothing other than chaos will come of the event, possibly Far right and Far left might get into a big fight there. It is not the job of our government to do things that promote conflict.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Prove that.

Go on. Show some proof, that the specific individuals discussed in this thread (as opposed to anywhere else, at any other time in history) are:

c) Also show how Ron Johnson only has a responsibility to serve those who voted for him, the cite of law, the constitution either local or federal, which suggests that a representative has no responsibility to those who voted for the other candidate?
I think you will find that impossible, because you are talking out of your exhaust port.

Right, in fact a lot of conciliatory messages have been coming out from reps on both sides lately saying that they represent all the citizens in their areas of responsibilty, which is as it should be.

There is a 'small' caveat about making contact with your Rep in the US though, a lot of constituent offices are inadequate, and don't have anywhere near enough staff to cope with droves and droves of e-mail, letters and easy contact apps, etc.
Having said that, it should be up to Senators and the like to provide a realistic means of contact and reddress, not send out cease and desist instructions if a caller, correspondent is genuine.

www.wired.com...

edit on 3-3-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Why would anyone want to have a town hall meeting when you know it is not going to be anything other than a chaotic event. I side with the senator on this one. Don't feed the piranhas.

A bunch of activists will dominate the meeting and nothing other than chaos will come of the event, possibly Far right and Far left might get into a big fight there. It is not the job of our government to do things that promote conflict.

I totally agree. The constitution is totally outdated; especially that freedom of speech part.
Those people just need to STFU and do what they're told. Our representatives have better things to do...like play golf, than deal with the taxpayers that pay their salary.

edit on 3-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Well that is one Representative that won't be reelected.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Sounds like the guy doing the binge calling is either nuts or is part of a retaliation effort against Johnson.

Ron Johnson was the Senator that triggered Hillary Clinton into her famous frenzy "what difference does it make" tirade a few years ago.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Hey, that's a good idea...

Have the staff tell the requester that because of such an influx of inquiries, we need to ask for the "residents' " name and county where they reside, look them up to see if they are truly a constituent and then answer them.

I really think that is a fair and good idea to solve the problem for a while.

What's your pic about? Is that the tea party people? Who was their "leader", I don't believe it was a former president. I'm a little rusty on how all that transpired, but, wasnt that a grassroots effort? And in the end the right still came out with about half RINOs.

Graffik

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Why?

The first amendment protects free speech. Is it free speech when a few parties are so loud that no one else can speak? Isn't constantly calling a phone line the same as DDoS? If you protest, as you allowed to interfere with their ability to conduct business?

Protesting and airing grievances is one thing. Obstruction is another, and is not a protected right.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: buster2010
Can you show in his job description where it says he only has to meet with people that are ready to kiss his butt?

Can you show in his job description where it says he's required to 'lick the cracks' of his opponents?

The way I see it if any politician refuses to meet with their public after formal requests have been made then they should lose that job.

I'm glad no one died and left you in charge.

You're living all the reasons why a progressive mentality failed under 0bama. Reasonable/Rational people run out of reason and rationality. Now you're in free fall. How many seats did the Left lose in the last round of elections again?

Keep whining. You'll lose more.

-Cheers

Constituents are not opponents. If our elected officials are looking at the people they represent and dividing them into "my team" and "my enemies," then our system is falling apart.
edit on 3-3-2017 by TheTengriist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Why?

The first amendment protects free speech. Is it free speech when a few parties are so loud that no one else can speak? Isn't constantly calling a phone line the same as DDoS? If you protest, as you allowed to interfere with their ability to conduct business?

Protesting and airing grievances is one thing. Obstruction is another, and is not a protected right.

I think you are overanalysizing me here. The reason he won't be reelected is because he pissed of his constituents who in turn won't be voting for him.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTengriist
No the system falls apart, no is blown apart by people making the elected official an opponent by the simple statement that they come out with "I didn't vote for him, I don't like his policies so I am going to protest and cause trouble".
Have I missed anything out there?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: rickymouse

I totally agree. The constitution is totally outdated; especially that freedom of speech part.
Those people just need to STFU and do what they're told. Our representatives have better things to do...like play golf, than deal with the taxpayers that pay their salary.

But, they don't have time to golf anymore, They need to spend time making up excuses for when Trump puts his foot in his mouth on twitter and it's hard to do that at the golf course. It takes a lot of concentration to swing at that ball and drink beer.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
The reason he won't be reelected is because he pissed of his constituents who in turn won't be voting for him.

Probably didn't vote for him in the first place so what difference would it make. None!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join