It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senator Threatens Citizen With Arrest If They Continue Asking For A Town Hall

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

A Republican Senator has had enough of his constituents asking him to have a town hall meeting to meet with them. Ron Johnson, Republican US Senator from Wisconsin, has been missing in action in his home state. The citizens have been pestering him to come and talk to them. They have gone to creative lengths to try to get Johnson to interact with Wisconsin voters. The Daily Cardinal reported on February 22nd, “Roughly 500 constituents gathered at what was termed an “empty chair town hall” for Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., at the First Congregational Church in Madison Wednesday night.” Activists have flooded their representatives’ offices across the country with unprecedented volume of calls on a range of issues. Activists have also jammed town halls since the election, especially for Republican representatives, and reacted strongly to Republican threats to gut the Affordable Care Act, Social Security and Medicare. So Johnson is far from alone in having a set of constituents who are enthusiastic about exercising their right to petition the government for a redress of grievances, as enshrined in the First Amendment.
But on Wednesday, he likely became the first Republican representative to begin threatening his constituents for their attempts to petition his office. Citizen Action of Wisconsin posted a letter allegedly postmarked to a Wisconsin citizen whose name is blacked out in the image. The letter reads:

Dear ___________ This Cease and Desist letter is to inform you that any further communication from you to U.S. Senator Ron Johnson’s office can only be done in writing. This means that you are not to call or visit any of Senator Johnson’s staff or any of his offices at any time. Our office has done all that we can to assist you with your concerns. This letter acts as written notice of our expectation for you to discontinue your unwarranted telephone calls and office visits. If you fail to comply with this notice, then we will have no other alternative but to contact the United States Capitol Police and report your noncompliance. Sincerely, Ron Johnson’s staff U. S. Senate
reverbpress.com...

A government for the people by the the people guess not, these folks for get who their bosses are, now I think some folks will say the citizen is just an over aggressive malcontent not about any right to meet with his representative, but I can say to others on the other side of the political spectrum that Dem representatives are not immune from boisterous town halls demanding answers and I think that's a great thing for us all, it's not us that should be afraid of them it is they who should fear us.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Screw that! I say increase the volume. Just because they won doesn't give them a pass from dissenting views. Remind them whom they work for, not just the ones that voted for them. They can't force him to meet with them but his office can not shut them up because the volume is too loud.

I agree with you on this Spidey!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I agree that they are elected to serve the people. That said, I also have seen the way many leftists have gone to great lengths to disrupt official business of elected government officials. Even this article says that activists have flooded representatives with and overwhelming amount phone calls (paraphrased), and I'm not surprised that they received a request to voice their concerns using a specific form of communication. This is how you filter out people trying to cause problems from those with any genuine constitution to convey a real concern.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Cathy McMorris Rogers, a congresswoman from Washington State, has also been declining to speak with, meet with, or write back her constituents. She is a Republican. There was an empty town hall in my city as well where her constituents were demanding that she start responding to them. There have been no reports of flooding her e-mail or anything like that, she has just stopped communicating with her constituents completely and is offering no alternative.
edit on 03amFri, 03 Mar 2017 01:06:34 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
"Activists" read as, Obama's brown shirts.

Why would he meet with 500 fake supporter activists when he represents the vast majority of voters who voted for him? The Fake News saying they are his constituents is a lie, they are leftwing community organized Obama zombies.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Prove that.

Go on. Show some proof, that the specific individuals discussed in this thread (as opposed to anywhere else, at any other time in history) are:

a) Employed or induced to act directly by former President, Barack Obama

b) That they are not constituents of the locality over which Ron Johnson presides

c) Also show how Ron Johnson only has a responsibility to serve those who voted for him, the cite of law, the constitution either local or federal, which suggests that a representative has no responsibility to those who voted for the other candidate?

I think you will find that impossible, because you are talking out of your exhaust port.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I think the title is incomplete. It should end "...if they continue asking for a town hall using certain aggressive methods of approach".
Those who do it by letter or by articles in the press are not being threatened, apparently.

P.S. Although, to be fair, I don't think the forum will display titles that long.

edit on 3-3-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

He can't prove it. If you've noticed there are certain people on ATS who just say stuff. They'll just make up anything to discredit anything showing this Administration or the Republicans are acting any way other than like perfect angels.

They have no proof of anything and they don't intend on telling the truth.

Why even give the impression that they might actually have a valid point??? Call them on their lies and leave it at that.

Asking for proof from them is implying that they may actually have a valid point when they don't.

I mean come on. He's saying they are all fake supporters and activist brown shirts. Does any of that actually seem valid to you?? No. It's BS and it shouldn't be tolerated at all. These are real people. Real Americans who need to speak to those who represent them and they're being ignored. That's not a joke. But that's how they are being treated and it's wrong. Period.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Like I said earlier this is not confined to Reps, establishment Dems are feeling much heat as they are begging Burnie to tell their! constituents not protest them but instead to focus on Trump's admin, they still don't get it, Libs love ourselves some Burnie but we do not lock step behind anyone even Burnie, I hope this new found participation continues.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   

That pompous aloof senator needs removing from office asap......I hate the Democrats but forwarded an email supporting Ebay in their fight against online taxes and got a response from Debbie Wasserman Shultz in terms of an email.

This man serves the people not the other way around.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Why would he meet with 500 fake supporter activists when he represents the vast majority of voters who voted for him?

Because it's his job? Can you show in his job description where it says he only has to meet with people that are ready to kiss his butt? The way I see it if any politician refuses to meet with their public after formal requests have been made then they should lose that job.
edit on 4800000003631America/ChicagoFri, 03 Mar 2017 04:31:36 -06002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Can you show in his job description where it says he only has to meet with people that are ready to kiss his butt?

Can you show in his job description where it says he's required to 'lick the cracks' of his opponents?

The way I see it if any politician refuses to meet with their public after formal requests have been made then they should lose that job.

I'm glad no one died and left you in charge.

You're living all the reasons why a progressive mentality failed under 0bama. Reasonable/Rational people run out of reason and rationality. Now you're in free fall. How many seats did the Left lose in the last round of elections again?

Keep whining. You'll lose more.

-Cheers

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Agreeing to meet with and be directed in his business, by people who have grievances, needs, and points to make to him IS part of his job. It does not matter who those individuals are, or what their political affiliation is.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Lol people on ats that just say stuff... I believe I'm responding one as such.

This is how I look at it, it's impossible to prove they are Obama organized people, which we know for a fact exist, but has it been proven that they are indeed constituents? And even if they are, it doesn't mean they still can't be organized.

Put yourself in the position of the congressman, what would you do if you truly thought these were agitators and nothing was to be gained? Personally I'd give them one meeting but I don't know the schedule of the congressman. Plus, did he already address the concerrns and the people want another meeting to cry out again? I don't know and you don't know.

This certainly could've been handled better, and threatening any citizen is probably over the top. But, not actually out of the question, we don't know what this person has been doing to the office, but they can still write a letter.

Also don't forget this was signed by the staff.

Either side of the argument here cannot prove either way, but it just stuck out when you mentioned people just say stuff on ats without proof, please take your own advice.

Graffik

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

This is how I look at it, it's impossible to prove they are Obama organized people, which we know for a fact exist, but has it been proven that they are indeed constituents? And even if they are, it doesn't mean they still can't be organized.

If he were to hold a town hall he would know whether or not they a re "really" his constituents, wouldn't he? He could simply post someone with a voter registration list at the door. As for organized: remember these people?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
don't know if it was me, my computer, or the site but my computer just up and went into full scale rebellion on that site.
so, have no idea weather their is more info on the site or not..

I can't help but wonder, were letters sent to other people? if not, then why would it be just this person. did someone on his staff just not like him, or was his calls just out of line?
everyone in the district he is representing is his constituents regardless of weather or not the voted for him. I read over and over on these boards about how the liberals are dividing the nation but to say that those in his district who didn't vote lost their voice, their right to present their complaints to their representative kind of just furthers that divide. they do, or else, they aren't represented and ya know, taxation without representation and all that. if the phones at his office is ringing off the hook it probably means that there are lots of people in his district or confused voters from districts close by that want to communicate with him, probably not all want to just harass him and maybe if he doesn't want his office deluged with phone calls, he should have a town hall..
that being said, and as much as I love the polywogs squirm surrounded by unhappy somewhat unruly voters, I am kind of disappointed when I watch the videos of some of these town halls..
if the main objective is to communicate you concerns to them, it's not gonna be successful if you are yelling at them for the majority of the time, settle down, be on your best behavior, and talk to them. be better than them!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Do you think calling an office 160 times in four days is warranted? What about the other 5.7M people of Wisconsin who may want to contact the Senator?

Milwaukee Man Receives Cease and Desist Letter from Senator Johnson's office

Good admits he's persistent; so persistent, on one occasion he called Senator Johnson's office 83 times until someone picked up. "The day before was 40 to get through. The day before that was 8. The day before that was 29, so they’re very aware of who I am by my cell phone number,” says Good.

Despite the local office being accommodating, the recipient of the letter continues to harass the Washington office. The recipient of the C&D admits he has been aggressive.

“I have been aggressive, but the reason I call multiple times is the issue of the day and also because I am a concerned citizen. And I will keep calling, and the reason I continue to dial is until I talk to someone in the office," says Good.

This is NOT an issue of the Senator being unaccommodating. It is an issue of an constituent assuming his right to access the staff and Senator (160 calls in four days) takes priority over the other 5.7M people the Senator represents.

Good says he's been to Johnson's Milwaukee office on two occasions. He calls the local office "accommodating," but takes issue with the response in D.C.

Harassment of the staff is unacceptable.

A spokesperson for Senator Johnson responded, saying, "Constituents are always welcome and encouraged to contact our office with their concerns, regardless of political viewpoint. Unfortunately, very infrequently a pattern of inappropriate behavior emerges that crosses the bounds of decency and requires action to ensure the well being of visitors to the office and staff."

C&D for 160 calls over four days should also come with a mental health assessment, and loss of access to cable news.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

I wonder what an examination of the Senators office phone records would show. Was the gentleman who received the C&D notice actually blocking the phone do you think?

Also, are they suggesting that he called and was answered on one hundred and sixty occasions, or just that he dialed and waited that many times, because there is a big difference.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: darkbake

Like I said earlier this is not confined to Reps, establishment Dems are feeling much heat as they are begging Burnie to tell their! constituents not protest them but instead to focus on Trump's admin, they still don't get it, Libs love ourselves some Burnie but we do not lock step behind anyone even Burnie, I hope this new found participation continues.

Do not act like your side doesn't do the exact same thing their side does. Yes, you lock step. Just like them. Know why? You're both groups of humans doing what humans do.

RE: the article...im not so sure i have issue with that. The phone lines are not staffed to handle phone calls that amount to harassment that interferes with the day to day operations of the office.

I'd need to read more information and think more on it, but my initial impression is they are trying to maintain the day to day operations of the government, and people who are protesting are interfering directly with it. We wouldn't allow protesters to block entrance to a building on a sidewalk....why would we allow them to block entrance via a phone line? DDOS attacks aren't legal, why would mass calling campaigns be legal?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

edit on 3/3/2017 by pteridine because: Bad post

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join