It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Glass Metaphor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
As the downward spiral of humanity continues right in front of us, I cannot help but think of the the old, somewhat cliche proverbial phrase "is the glass half empty or half full?" The key to answering the question, we are told, lies in our perception; if we see a glass that is half empty, our perception is pessimistic, while if we see a glass that is half full, then our perception is optimistic. (Realists might say they simply see a glass with water in it.) These interpretations of the expression are very narrow-minded and I will explain why.

The questions we ought to be asking when encountering this expression are these — who put the glass there, why was the glass filled with water, how was the glass filled and what does having the glass contain water actually signify? To answer these questions, we need to understand the purposes of both the glass and water.

To avoid unnecessarily complicating things, let's keep it simple: the glass acts a tool of convenience to drink and regulate the amount of water we consume; the water is a vital liquid we need to consume in order to survive. Water is therefore the more important of the two, which can also be backed up by the fact that water was discovered and consumed long before the idea of a glass (or even basic container) was even thought of.

Back to the questions in the second paragraph. As you can tell, all the questions listed there are important in their own right, but neither can be fully answered without knowing the other three. The who, why, how and what all need to be addressed if we are to discover an overall purpose.

So why am I talking about the downfall of humanity and mentioning some random expression we hear often in movies, books and in conversation? Here is why: the glass-water expression is actually somewhat of an intellectual trap; we are so fixated on examining our own perception of what is in front of us that we forget to consider the influence of the perception of the external force that placed the glass there — something we need to consider if we are to discover the overall purpose.

Here is my interpretation: the glass was put there by those with the power and means to control us. It was put there to misdirect us from asking who put it there. It was filled by deception. Having the glass contain water indicates false hope. The overall purpose is to trap humanity into believing that the carrot on stick they see just out of their reach will be reachable at some time in the future. It doesn't matter whether you are an optimist, a pessimist or a realist, the whole system is designed to make you believe you can win when you were destined to lose.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

To be honest, sometimes it's half empty and sometimes it's half full. I'm happy to accept that, it's the world we live in.

What concerns me the most are those amongst us "with the power and means to control us" who have clearly set out an agenda to re-engineer a smaller glass for the rest of us.
edit on 3 3 2017 by myselfaswell because: whateva

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
"is the glass half empty or half full?"

The questions we ought to be asking when encountering this expression are these — who put the glass there, why was the glass filled with water, how was the glass filled and what does having the glass contain water actually signify?

To avoid unnecessarily complicating things, let's keep it simple:

XD just answer the question!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: daniel2sxc

he wants to know if its half empty or full!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It's half full if you pour water and fill it up halfway.

It's half empty if you pour enough water out, leaving half of it behind.

I don't understand people wringing their hands over this age old metaphor. It all depends on other factors surrounding the glass of water.

And in the event you can't determine what happened to the glass of water (was it filled up halfway or emptied by half?) ... then, in that case, it's both. It's half full and half empty at he same time.

Problem solved.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
When I first heard that phrase I was about 12 and I thought it was a logic game me and my uncle were playing.

After a few minutes of pondering I came to the conclusion that it depends, If the glass was being filled then it was half full, if it was being emptied/drunk then it was half empty.

Upon learning that it was a gauge of whether you were optimistic or pessimistic I asked what my answer signified and my uncle told me "Well mate I reckon youll either grow up to be a genius or a real asshole"

EDIT: Congrats to me on my 5000th post

In hindsight I probably should have saved it for something more profound than outing my self as an asshole

edit on 3/3/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

EDIT: Congrats to me on my 5000th post

In hindsight I probably should have saved it for something more profound than outing my self as an asshole

Right you are!

edit on 3-3-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Glass = Container = Limitations.

Throw off your clothes!
Jump in the lake!
Swim freely, and drink as you will.

Swim freely in all aspects of being, as much as you can, however you can.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Observe and just bless it, bless the water,bless the glass, bless the table,bless.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It is both. It is always both. It is a quantum uncertainty that is up to the observer to decide how it will be perceived. Much like life.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

The glass is always full. There's always something in it. Doesn't matter who put it there, its whether you pick it up or not.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I like this. I will give you a relative answer from antiquity.

CORPUS HERMETICUM (Sealed Body)

The gift of Heaven is NOUS. It is the prize set in a Cup, the Holy Grail of all truth: Who, What, When, Where and Why answered. HOW? That's another questions. I have the answer.

Corpus Hermeticum

3. Therefore, 0 Tat, God has given the Word to all men to partake
in, but not so with Nous. He was not jealous, for jealousy of any
one 8 does not originate from there, but is created in the souls of
men who have no Nous.

Tat - Then why , 0 father, has God not given to everyone a share
of Nous?

H - He willed, my son, to set it up as a prize before souls.

4. Tat - And where did he set it up?

H - He filled a great bowl with Nous and sent it down, and he
appointed a herald to make this announcement to the hearts of
men:

'Plunge into this bowl, if you can, having faith that you will rise
to him that sent down the bowl, realizing why you came into being.'

edit on 3-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

It is both. The delineation between "full" and "empty" is in the observer. Changing position and/or perspective can lead to changes in your personal bias. It could also be neither...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I suppose the problem is that a parched person will focus on nothing but the water, never realizing that it's being taken from the sea.

"The lover of the world is like a man drinking sea-water; the more he drinks, the more thirsty he gets, till at last he perishes with thirst unquenched."

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Here is my interpretation: the glass was put there by those with the power and means to control us. It was put there to misdirect us from asking who put it there. It was filled by deception. Having the glass contain water indicates false hope. The overall purpose is to trap humanity into believing that the carrot on stick they see just out of their reach will be reachable at some time in the future. It doesn't matter whether you are an optimist, a pessimist or a realist, the whole system is designed to make you believe you can win when you were destined to lose.

Your interpretation is subjective. The question asks, "what is subjectivity?" And you almost had the answer: purpose.

When we measure, we measure our own will / purpose of measuring, and we think will is subjective because of that, but it's not, hence so many see the same thing / come to the same conclusion.

Will has objective truth, but we can't see it physically - only spiritually (we measure will by our will / a thing not physical) - and so we think subjectivity is nonsense because it's not physical.

e.g. If we made a 100% copy of you, they would have made your same interpretation.

That's what I think, anyways.

Edit: The will of a secure entryway above and below a level looks like:

Will has objective truth.

e.g. Your will was to post your animosity towards perceived threats (establishment who uses tools of confusion to enslave you.)

I think.

e.g. My will was to take advantage of the opportunity you gave me to tell you about the Spirit. Fisher of men.
edit on 3/3/2017 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join