It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Donald J. Trump Proclaims March 2017 as Irish-American Heritage Month

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
Awesome!

Does this mean white people will stop getting triggered by Black History Month?

Edit: Just saw your deflection techniques after another member responded to the same reply of yours.

Does celebrating Easter as a national holiday trigger witches?

edit on 3/3/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think the concept is pretty neat, the Irish have had a monstrous impact on western civilization, and most people probably are not aware of it beyond Irish whiskey, so why not take a moment to recognize a wonderful group.

Drinking in Ireland with locals was one of my better experiences here in europe, I have never encountered such a laid back group of people that were not stoned... until they are deep in their cups then it seems like fight night... but it was still fun.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I think the concept is pretty neat, the Irish have had a monstrous impact on western civilization, and most people probably are not aware of it beyond Irish whiskey, so why not take a moment to recognize a wonderful group.

Drinking in Ireland with locals was one of my better experiences here in europe, I have never encountered such a laid back group of people that were not stoned... until they are deep in their cups then it seems like fight night... but it was still fun.

Yes, agreed! Temple Bar District in Dublin is a great time, especially when you converse with the locals!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

How involved do you want to get? A store bought corned beef or brisket from scratch?
One takes a week to make. The other a few hours.

1 brisket.
2 cups salt and enough water to cover. Refrigerate for five days. Change water for fresh no salt and soak for another day.
Rub with a combination of salt, Brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and lots of black pepper.
Refrigerate for yet one more day.
Cook in the oven at 250 for six hours.
Meanwhile cook potatoes and cabbage in boiling water until just tender. Transfer to a roasting pan toss with olive oil salt and pepper and roast at 425 for about twenty minutes.

Or start with a store bought corned beef skip all the soaking then rub and cook for six hours . Do the potatoes and cabbage the same way. You may want to let the meat sit over night with the rub just to get it good and seasoned before roasting but you don't have to.
If you have a smoker you can do this in the smoker then steam the meat for an additional hour and slice it up for pastrami sandwiches. OMG so good. The smoking changes it from corned beef to pastrami.
I got this recipe online it's a copy cat from Kats deli. ( of when Harry met Sally fame , YES!YES!YES!)
edit on 332017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

My friend from high school had that sign hung in their kitchen. I always remember that saying.
They had another one that said .
"Come in, sit down, relax, converse.
Our house doesn't always look like this.
Sometimes it's even worse. "
I loved that.
My own mother had a sign too . It said
"God help those who get caught helping themselves."
Lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

And in between eating and drinking we burn calories by making love. Oh baby....

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Omg cooked in beer corned beef is great too!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

That's called Irish Pride boy-o.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

That's called Irish Pride boy-o.

Boy-o?
Are you Welsh?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm a Pi 3.14 Birthday Irish guy named Kevin------Trump Rocks!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

youre right.
could be worse

i also read a lot about the great famine
the proper term. not the irish potato famine

Made me think of this good read -

Title taken from a once common sign outside pubs in England. I'm 17% Irish according to Ancestry DNA and the jokes don't bother me a bit.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Found out i am 44 % Irish, and a whole lot of other stuff. The weirdest part was North Africa and North West Russia. My parents have some explaining to do lol.

Ancestry dot com is one hell of a trip.

edit on 3-3-2017 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am 50% Irish (moms side of the family comes from waterford area circa great famine like so many others), a bit of scot, a bit of welsh, and the rest Slovenian...

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

My result was pretty unsurprising, English, Irish, German, Scandinavian. My wife, on the other hand was all over the place. Native American, Spain, England, Eastern Europe, North Africa, Asia, and a little bit of pretty much everywhere else. Needless to say our kids have got all the bases covered

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Im irish and dont want to have our own month. What is I will take stick with white history for 100 alex!

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

LOL I had some scandinavian too which was also surprising and unexpected

The Irish part is always fun though, I love st drunk day lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy
Im irish and dont want to have our own month. What is I will take stick with white history for 100 alex![/quote

------------------------------------------------

Us Emerald Islanders get the whole month of March and the bars open really early so it's all good no matter where you are at unless it's saudi arabia lmao. Stop the bigot #.

eta:

had to add dotted lines to separate me from the person I was quoting

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Having read about this and giving this some thought the following can be stated:

In this country, there have been waves of people that have been hated and despised, and treated with contempt, since the founding of this country. In that aspect, laws were often passed to hold one group down giving favor and unequal treatment. The country has a past that is littered with such. Those before us, tried to commit a genocide against one group, enslaved another group, and often would hate any other groups that would come in.

And those in the past who have been unjustly treated, having their rights trampled on, often were able to seek and get redress for the harms of the past, or laws were passed to prevent such from occurring again. Save one group, where the sins and harms of the past still haunt them to this very day. And yet, the lessons are not learned and we have to put on a bandage for such.

The reason for, Black History month, is that was at the end of the Civil rights movement, where the country was trying to redress the issues from the Jim Crow laws and how the country had treated those of African descent, who had made an impact on the country, and were still treated as second class citizens by this nation, and to try to change the mindset of the population about the contributions by this one group.
The question is this appropriate for this country to celebrate a group that only went through a short time of discrimination? And what is the ramifications that will come of such?

While yes there was discrimination against the Irish, however, do we now see say a Chinese history month, or how about a Japanese history month? And what of the Native Americans, do they get a month, after all, it seems as though most others, who have been oppressed, are getting a month to honor them, are getting one, when are they going to get such? And what about the native people of the Hawaii or the Bikini atoll, what about their month? Surely the loss of their sovereignty should warrant a month as well.

Giving honors to one group, opens up doors and questions that we may not be ready to answer.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: TzarChasm

Really??? I've never heard that before. Ever.

I don't think anyone else knows it either based upon what people do on St. Paddy's day.

If you're correct then that tradition has taken a complete 180 from itself.

only in america.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

And in between eating and drinking we burn calories by making love. Oh baby....

Oh hell ya. Now you're talking!!!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join