It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Donald J. Trump Proclaims March 2017 as Irish-American Heritage Month

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: TinySickTears

It doesn't bother me. In the end it is words, and we live in a free society. People are more than welcome to mock my heritage, it frankly doesn't bother me.

Part of living healthily in a free and open society is hearing those things and not letting it get to you. Because when you fire back it makes a debate, the debate heats both sides further polarizing them and turning a debate into an issue.

If we ignore the bigots they won't get their satisfaction from trolling people and eventually they'll disappear into history with few words to speak of them.

like i said man im not going out to start a movement. i dont say anything when i see people wearing the #. i dont boycot the store cause they sell a paddy shirt. it does bother me though...
one of the few things

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I bet for every offended Irish person there is someone from somewhere else in the world who is jealous of your kick ass holiday.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
a reply to: xuenchen

Cool. This should be fun! When will he fix the economy/Obamcare/bring back jobs, etc? We need more bread and less circuses.

less circus, more bread. i agree with that. but the whole point of the circus is to distract us from the fact that the bread is grown from the yeast of a diseased economy and the sweat and tears of impoverished overworked laborers.

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: xuenchen

So does this mean we are supposed to get sh*tty drunk every day this month instead of just on St. Paddy's???

Alright!!! First good policy by Trump so far. Not sure most of us will even be awake again until June though.

actually st patty's is typically celebrated through abstinence as a somber reflection of religious tragedy. to put it in simple terms, anyone who is drinking on st pattys is not drinking for st pattys, its just a cheap excuse to indulge. anyone who is actually celebrating st pattys will do so by attending their local catholic church and enjoying a day of sincere introspection.
edit on 2-3-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Imagine if you got a orange shirt that had that same meter on it and it said something like:

"Crime-O-Meter"
and started with "Innocent", "By Association", "Guilty", "Malicious", and then.... a skin color on the far right side.

People would freak the holy hell out over it.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Which is understandable, there are plenty of positions that do bother me as well and sometimes I will be vocal about it. That being said I don't think this is any kind of malicious assault on the Irish, surely not as bad as the days of devided Burroughs in New York.

Also, isn't every holiday perverted from original context? Christmas, new years, Cinco de mayo, Halloween.
edit on 2-3-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I bet for every offended Irish person there is someone from somewhere else in the world who is jealous of your kick ass holiday.

maybe. its only kick ass to them cause they go to the parade and act like assholes....

i dont do that.
my wife and i make a few dishes that we make every year...hang out on the couch together and watch a movie....
i try to make the same things every year for us.

thats about it...

even though i have read about them a thousand times i usually brush up on my reading about the molly maguires and the hibernians...
thats about it

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Imagine if you got a orange shirt that had that same meter on it and it said something like:

"Crime-O-Meter"
and started with "Innocent", "By Association", "Guilty", "Malicious", and then.... a skin color on the far right side.

People would freak the holy hell out over it.

thats what i am talking about...
innocent on the far left and black and incarcerated on the far right...
youd be #ing destroyed.....
its a stereotype.....same thing in my eyes

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

We all celebrate differently, the holiday was adopted into Christianity as a whole hence the large participation now. The fact that many of the participants get drunk is part of how humans celebrate.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Also, isn't every holiday perverted from original context? Christmas, new years, Cinco de mayo, Halloween.

Yes absolutely they have been perverted.
Also, I'd add, that every day is a Holy Day to me, so I don't recognize these distinctions in a celebratory way though I'm aware others do, and I don't intercede on their celebrations or bother them about my opinions on it. Except on ATS I'll chime in from time to time.

Also I'd like to add I don't view people by group labels because I find it inaccurate. I like to judge each individual person based on the content of their character, and when you do that 'group labels' become impossible to uphold.

link   
a reply to: Annee

Haha nagative Annie always on the "everything Trump does is worng or evil" bandwagon.

link   

Which is understandable, there are plenty of positions that do bother me as well and sometimes I will be vocal about it. That being said I don't think this is any kind of malicious assault on the Irish, surely not as bad as the days of devided Burroughs in New York.

youre right.
could be worse

i also read a lot about the great famine
the proper term. not the irish potato famine
edit on 2-3-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The difference is black people just recently won their civil rights in America, so it's a more touchy subject. When it isn't a touchy subject we'll know the healing process is over.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
My goodness.
I'm starting to think that everybody just wants to be all pissed off about something.

Trump proclaiming March Irish-American heritage month did not take time away from his day to day Presidential operations.

And nobody cares if stupid stuff offends you because of your heritage.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Really??? I've never heard that before. Ever.

I don't think anyone else knows it either based upon what people do on St. Paddy's day.

If you're correct then that tradition has taken a complete 180 from itself.

link   

originally posted by: c2oden
My goodness.
I'm starting to think that everybody just wants to be all pissed off about something.

Trump proclaiming March Irish-American heritage month did not take time away from his day to day Presidential operations.

And nobody cares if stupid stuff offends you because of your heritage.

well i care so i will talk about it
critical you have a point but black people is not the end all

any stereotypical jewish # at the stores? muslim? mexican?

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
see what i mean

www.walmart.com...

www.walmart.com...

www.walmart.com...

totally acceptable

Agree, totally acceptable.

No problem with jokes. That's a funny shirt.
edit on 2-3-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 2-3-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

ok.
let me know when shirts pop up in the stores with 'jokes' about black stereotypes or jewish stereotypes.

fair enough?

i really didnt mean for this to turn in to a thing...

ill just drop it.

i said my piece.

no big deal

catch you later

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Boy, some of you ATSers would just be a hoot to hang out with!!

Ive never seen so many light-hearted, easy going people in one place before.

/sarc

(Lemme guess, Im the insensitive bad guy?)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

One more thing, I was working towards this. But back on point on making this a month. It was probably a well thought out plan to divert attention to this. And in the end, who can really attack Trump for this? I expect to see this kind of style through out the term.

EDIT, also I have seen many other comedic cloths for other people.

Jewish "Christmas" sweaters. Which is a bit more charged if you ask me as whenever you get to religion it tends to scar more than ethnicity.
edit on 2-3-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join