It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Donald J. Trump Proclaims March 2017 as Irish-American Heritage Month

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

It was meant as humor and not to be offensive.

It's not like St. Patty's day is known for people being sober and typically the Irish pride themselves on their drinking prowess and their fighting prowess as well. Both of which they do very well in general.

I have nothing against the Irish and think they should be proud of their culture as well.

Sorry if it offends you but I don't think anything I said was wrong nor would I take it back.
edit on 2-3-2017 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

My God.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Oh and if we have a month left over after dividing everyone out, let's make that one Ancient History month.
It's reserved for long discussions about....

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm Irish, wanna fight about it??

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Will we get a month for English, French, German, Italian, Polish ...

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Will we get a month for English, French, German, Italian, Polish ...

Yes and make them all in March.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jkm1864

originally posted by: mOjOm

So does this mean we are supposed to get sh*tty drunk every day this month instead of just on St. Paddy's???

Alright!!! First good policy by Trump so far. Not sure most of us will even be awake again until June though.

You know this is pretty racist and #ed up especially for someone whom has Irish decent on both sides of the family. My family came from Ireland and My Brother and I don't even drink.

agreed.
american made with irish parts here.
i dont drink

i hate that stereotype

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
im not just saying this cause that post cause it really dont matter but in general the way it is accepted to perpetuate irish stereotypes around paddy's day is about the closet to being offended i get...about anything

its like we are the group that it is totally cool to do that to in the month of march.

all the stupid kiss me im drunk shirts and the green beer bull# that hits the shelves in all the stores.....it is totally acceptable....it kind of bothers me....

it is absolutely not ok to perpetuate black or jewish stereotypes by any stretch....you dont see them plastered on shirts at wal mart but its ok when it comes to the irish....

my wife bought a skein of yarn once..it was green and the official color was paddy green...same deal.

how well do you think that would go over it it was leroy black...
you know

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

And who says I don't have a sense of humor?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

What's really strange (to me at least) is that I've met a lot of people who go on and on about Irish stereotypes and claim they are pure Irish etc etc - yet I am convinced they don't have a drop of Irish blood in them.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Then keep doing what you are doing by saying as much. When racism is unburdened by accountability, it's difficult to see. I think if Irish folk stood up for their ethnicity as you have, people would be more sensitive/aware of it and start standing up against stereo types, as well.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Then keep doing what you are doing by saying as much. When racism is unburdened by accountability, it's difficult to see. I think if Irish folk stood up for their ethnicity as you have, people would be more sensitive/aware of it and start standing up against stereo types, as well.

Didn't you notice that "white people" have been demanding accountability for stereotypes applied to them - such as "special privileges, they are racists, etc" and yet it hasn't done anything to stop the mainstream Liberals from continuing the barrage of race-oriented political attacks and divisive rhetoric?

Yes I agree, "when racism is unburdened by accountability, it's hard to see."
You are absolutely right about that.
edit on 3/2/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Awesome!

Does this mean white people will stop getting triggered by Black History Month?

I didn't know that was a thing. I always was under the impression many black people, to name one Morgan Freeman saw it as condescending to have an allotted month specifically for them as opposed to celebrating being American like we all do year long.

Doesn't help race relations to keep on bringing it up. Hence the worst racial relations in the United States since the civil rights movement, thanks MSM.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

What's really strange (to me at least) is that I've met a lot of people who go on and on about Irish stereotypes and claim they are pure Irish etc etc - yet I am convinced they don't have a drop of Irish blood in them.

you are right about that...people absolutely do do that.
that bothers me to but not like the other. it is not perpetuating a stereotype.
i think people do it cause for some reason they think it is cool....i dont know.
now that i think about it it probably is perpetuating a stereotype.

why would they do that? cause we irish can hold their beer and fight...right? thats cool i guess
part of that stereotype.....never thought of it that way till now.

abysha....ive got pretty thick skin. it bother me but honestly i am not going to go out there and start a movement about it...it just that every year at this time it is in my face. every store has the stupid ass shirts with the stupid ass sayings....i just dont know why it seems acceptable to treat the irish like this....

you know if there was even a hint of a black or jewish or muslim stereotype at wal mart or target the # would be hitting the fan.
i get a touch riled up about it this time of year then it passes and i usually dont have to think about it again.

a couple times a year people at work or out and about will make a comment about one of my irish/ireland tattoos or one of my fenian shirts and then of course they also have to let me know that theyre irish as well. maybe they are and maybe they are not....i dont know.....

the thing with the yarn did bother me though. i thought it was kind of uncool for a company to sell a product with a name like that. it was a cool color but once my wife got it home and saw the actual name of the color on the back she tossed it and has never bought it again

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Didn't you notice that "white people" have been demanding accountability for stereotypes applied to them - such as "special privileges, they are racists, etc" and yet it hasn't done anything to stop the mainstream Liberals from continuing the barrage of race-oriented political attacks and divisive rhetoric?

I've never heard of an Irish person being called a racist for requesting somebody to stop using Irish stereotypes.

Or a Jew, German, etc. They may not be taken as seriously as they should but I haven't heard them called racist for it.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

yes i noticed. i guess i am more focused on the merchandise i see in all the stores. the signs in all the windows.
the clearly not irish people that body paint themselves up with 100% irish across their chest while wearing a leprechaun hat, drinking a green beer acting like a total dick bag...

all that is ok thought....

but boy if you wear black face youre gonna pay

hell a member here posted a friggin comedy skit of kimmel and then of silverman in black face and people were all over how terrible and #ty they were...
see what im saying

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I've never heard of an Irish person being called a racist for requesting somebody to stop using Irish stereotypes.

Or a Jew, German, etc. They may not be taken as seriously as they should but I haven't heard them called racist for it.

ive never heard that either.
but clearly non irish people dressing up as(as in with their accessory #), mocking(with their so drunk so tough shirts) is racist i think but it is an acceptable form.

you hear the saying everyone is irish on paddy's day....well no...
but

is everyone black on pick a day? what if i were to go out with a big black face or or a kangol hat and a shirt that says some stereotypical # and parade it around?
that would be totally unacceptable

why is one socially acceptable and not the other?

you know

it bothers me
edit on 2-3-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I never heard that either.
I am pretty sure you didn't understand my comment.

Which is proof that "it's hard to see" I suppose, just as you said which I responded to.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It doesn't bother me. In the end it is words, and we live in a free society. People are more than welcome to mock my heritage, it frankly doesn't bother me.

Part of living healthily in a free and open society is hearing those things and not letting it get to you. Because when you fire back it makes a debate, the debate heats both sides further polarizing them and turning a debate into an issue.

If we ignore the bigots they won't get their satisfaction from trolling people and eventually they'll disappear into history with few words to speak of them.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
see what i mean

www.walmart.com...

www.walmart.com...

www.walmart.com...

totally acceptable

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join