It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Legislation Introduced To Exclude Cannabis From The Controlled Substances Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The government never had the Constitutional Authority to criminalize it to begin with.

If they needed an Amendment to prohibit the consumption of alcohol than how the hell did they get away with criminalizing this plant without one? Think about it real hard and remember alcohol is far more dangerous.

In fact, how the heck does the government regulate what we do with our bodies anyways? Who owns my body? Me or .gov?

Is it government by the People for the People?
Or people by the Government for the Government?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is why I believe it will pass.The government just wants a piece of the action...

www.denverpost.com...

It may not have quite the same ring to it as a certain seven-digit phone number made famous by a 1980s pop hit, but 6,630,507 has become internet-famous since the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration opted not to reschedule marijuana, leaving it in the category of drugs with no legitimate medical uses. Since then, proponents of legalization have responded with a storm of social-media posts highlighting U.S. Patent No. 6,630,507, granted in 2003 to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and covering the potential use of non-psychoactive cannabinoids to protect the brain from damage or degeneration caused by certain diseases, such as cirrhosis. They’re telling the DEA to “talk to the hand,” writing “6,630,507” on their palms, hashtagging the number and linking to past articles on the topic.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The prohibition of recreational drugs, not just marijuana, is far more harmful to society than the good it might cause. Prohibition came about from special interests, like most things in this country. And the War on Drugs began with Nixon as way to control groups of people he did not like, such as blacks and hippies. What it has become though is simply one more money pit for the public, while certain groups profit wildly... drug lords, law enforcement, etc. This is not to say society should encourage drug use, but minor experimentation causes little harm. And even with highly addictive substances, only about 20% of users actually become addicted. Not everyone as the media would have you believe. It turns out that much of what underlies addiction is the environment of a person, a lack of connection with society, that fuel it most. It's common sense, really. Almost all recreational drugs have a legal analog sold as medicine, yet we are not a society run amuck with substance addled zombies even though this is a pill society. Portugal decriminalized the use of all drugs in 2001. Though not perfect, their approach has yielded far better results than prohibition. Research addiction and the decriminalization of drugs and most likely you will walk away with a different perspective, one that sees a need for change here and abroad, that there is a better way to help people who abuse drugs, and not worry so much about those who sometimes experiment with them.

Portugal 1

Portugal 2

Addiction

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I sure hope this goes through. I doubt it, but we can all be hopeful.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

It's more than worrying about a plant.

It's about locking people up for non-violent offenses.

It's about profiling people for pot to fill police quotas.

It's about teenage kids being shot and killed by LEO's because they had some pot and/or a piece on them.

It's about pharmaceutical industries poisoning people for a profit that's considered legal yet its illegal to self-medicate because the "small government," clowns need to intervene in every facet of society.

It's about an emerging medical industry, as well as an emerging hemp industry.

And lastly - it's a freedom thing. You know, that little word everyone uses to gain brownie points but really don't give a # about?

People should be free to possess, cultivate, and use cannabis as they damn well please. I don't see the Feds going around raiding corner grocery stores and Wal-Marts because they sell alcohol that's linked to a myriad of diseases, is correlated with violent crime, and is heavily addictive.

This should move forward that way we know which folks are actually in favor or freedom as opposed to those who want the nanny state to control other, free Americans lives.

But who I am kidding - this is Murica. We really aren't all that free.

All in all it's about milking the tax payer to make other people rich just like section 8 or welfare.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Flag from me but this or a similar Bill gets introduced every year. Not quite sure its the moment we've been waiting for just yet.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
The government never had the Constitutional Authority to criminalize it to begin with.

They do so long as the commerce transfers from state to state. If a state grows, distributes and consumes exclusively within their state the federal government has no power. However, seeing how this naturally impacts state to state commerce, they do have some authority.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Shangralah
The real question if it passes is Will we be able to discuss other aspects of it on ATS?

You can discuss any part of it you wish, so long as it doesn't involve personal use.

But, FWIW....if you went out and started a thread on how much liquor you drank over the weekend, it likely would be trashed, too.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Out of all the wars done, the war on drugs has always been the most ridiculous. It is about time they legalized it, too many people know the truth about the plants medicinal value.

On a side note: considering 50% of the left are stoners, this might be a good time for Trump to come in and sign an executive order to make those people happy. Just...saying...

if he is smart he will do it. But I wont hold my breath on that either. Let's see how it goes.
edit on th2017000000Saturdayth000000Sat, 04 Mar 2017 04:58:40 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoSat, 04 Mar 2017 04:58:40 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

My understanding was that they would abolish everything that is up and running after the presidency switch? Well I am keeping hopeful on this and hope we get something good out of this

Wouldn't it be detrimental at this point to stop it?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

originally posted by: muzzleflash

They do so long as the commerce transfers from state to state. If a state grows, distributes and consumes exclusively within their state the federal government has no power. However, seeing how this naturally impacts state to state commerce, they do have some authority.

They have the authority to regulate it's transfer sure, in the commercial sense.

But the authority to bust into someone's home and put them in prison for merely possessing, growing it for their own personal use, etc? I don't see where that authority derives from other than pure brute violent domination (despotism).

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
If truly a business man and someone shows him he could pay for ALL his campaign promises by slapping a Federal tax on all legal cannabis sold, I think someone could peak his interest!

Agreed...
One just has to show them the tax revenue figures alone in Colorado should be enough to sway even the most devout prohibitionist. That is after all what drove the end of alcohol prohibition was the mob banking and the fed wanted a slice of the action.

Sad because alcohol kill's countless yearly and not one case of death directly related to the consumption of cannabis.
edit on 4-3-2017 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join