It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Legislation Introduced To Exclude Cannabis From The Controlled Substances Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Representatives Tom Garrett (R-VA) and Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) have introduced bipartisan legislation in Congress to exclude marijuana from the federal Controlled Substances Act, thus providing states with the exclusive authority to regulate the plant how best they see fit

Link to article

So it looks like the moment we have been waiting for is here and legislation has been formally introduced to remove Cannabis from the Controlled substances act. I am cautiously optimistic as a result of this most recent move to legitimize the friendly plant that we all know and most of us love. However I will never be able to rest easy so long as the decision is being made during a time of Republican dominance of both the house and the senate. We will just have to wait and see how this pans out and while I hope it does pass I do not look forward to the "told ya so's" of the Trumpets. I'd rather be assaulted by a pack of hyped up howler monkeys than deal with anymore gloating from that bunch.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I really hope this passes!

Cannabis is far too helpful, and lacks the detrimental impact that those in opposition claim it has.

This would be progress! Would be interesting to see it passed under a republican run government.
edit on 2-3-2017 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Lets see how this pans out. I'm curious to see how trump reacts to this.

Criminalizing marijuana does more harm than good and has ruined the future of many kids for no reason. Its time to remove this corporate anti MJ stance and I don't even smoke the stuff.

This could be HUUUUUUGE for Trump , but some how I'm not to optimistic on him really supporting this.
edit on 18331America/ChicagoThu, 02 Mar 2017 10:18:03 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Good to see the fight being taken to the federal government on this issue.

This is long overdue, cannabis should be decriminalized and further, be determined at the state level.

Everyone inside and outside should realize the war on drugs, especially pot, was lost long ago...unfortunately peope like Sessions not only remain, but are appointed to positions of great power.

I say, Treat it similarly to alcohol... establish a minimum age for purchase & consumption; and like with alcohol (people brew their own beer in the privacy of their own homes) - allow people of age to grow their own as long as they dont distrubute unless they have a license to do so!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

edit on 2-3-2017 by MisterMcKill because: Double Post.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I'll celebrate if it passes, but I don't want to get my hopes up too... um... high. But even if it does, that would leave it with the states, as it should be. Why do I have to live in Utah?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The real question if it passes is Will we be able to discuss other aspects of it on ATS?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Shangralah

The ability to partake without interference stands way higher on my list than the ability to talk it anywhere. YMMV.

edit on 2/3/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

ETA: Good luck America! I really, really hope that this will change things for the better.
edit on 2/3/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

So it looks like the moment we have been waiting for is here and legislation has been formally introduced to remove Cannabis from the Controlled substances act. I am cautiously optimistic as a result of this most recent move to legitimize the friendly plant that we all know and most of us love.

Well said. Old guys like me... old hippies, that is, wish like hell we could get it at least decriminalized.

However I will never be able to rest easy so long as the decision is being made during a time of Republican dominance of both the house and the senate. We will just have to wait and see how this pans out and while I hope it does pass I do not look forward to the "told ya so's" of the Trumpets.

Tsk, tsk. Dragging politics into this is nothing but a waste of time. There are as many GOP who are old long-hairs as their are Democrats. I liked your initial approach but the political seasoning just made it very untaste-worthy.

Have a nice day!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Good, its WAY past time it was decriminalized.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Criminalizing marijuana does more harm than good and has ruined the future of many kids for no reason. Its time to remove this corporate anti MJ stance and I don't even smoke the stuff.

This could be HUUUUUUGE for Trump , but some how I'm not to optimistic on him really supporting this.

If truly a business man and someone shows him he could pay for ALL his campaign promises by slapping a Federal tax on all legal cannabis sold, I think someone could peak his interest!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: interupt42

If truly a business man and someone shows him he could pay for ALL his campaign promises by slapping a Federal tax on all legal cannabis sold, I think someone could peak his interest!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I don't expect it to ever get to a floor vote, much less to the president's desk for his signature.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I decriminalized in my house,

Decades ago...

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I'd have hopes, Trump said that it should be available medically for those who it helps. I don't think he would oppose rescheduling it. It's the only way to nationally make it a med. Congress is pretty split on the issue. Chances it'll get through is good. Sessions said he would enforce the laws Congress passes. He won't/can't stop it.

Those who want it decriminalized need to write their representatives to get this bill passed and the rest will fall in to place.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Please let this pass so we can stop worrying about a freaking plant.
edit on 2-3-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

It's more than worrying about a plant.

It's about locking people up for non-violent offenses.

It's about profiling people for pot to fill police quotas.

It's about teenage kids being shot and killed by LEO's because they had some pot and/or a piece on them.

It's about pharmaceutical industries poisoning people for a profit that's considered legal yet its illegal to self-medicate because the "small government," clowns need to intervene in every facet of society.

It's about an emerging medical industry, as well as an emerging hemp industry.

And lastly - it's a freedom thing. You know, that little word everyone uses to gain brownie points but really don't give a # about?

People should be free to possess, cultivate, and use cannabis as they damn well please. I don't see the Feds going around raiding corner grocery stores and Wal-Marts because they sell alcohol that's linked to a myriad of diseases, is correlated with violent crime, and is heavily addictive.

This should move forward that way we know which folks are actually in favor or freedom as opposed to those who want the nanny state to control other, free Americans lives.

But who I am kidding - this is Murica. We really aren't all that free.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Supposedly Bannon is a big fan of Gabbard and wants to work with her on everything, so that is promising.

Bannon Set up Trump Gabbard Meeting

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It's tax time and the IRS is going to turn everyone's hemp business papers to the feds and they will come a looking for your cash. By July all the progress will be gone.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think by making cannabis legit in the states it thereby causes the cartels to come up with a new plan...
If our demand is met with a healthy supply, we put the cartels close to out of business?

Not sure how to combat heroin addiction except to open healing centers dedicated to mh counselling.

More people will seek help than those who would seek self destruction playing the inmate game?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join