It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAAF looking to increase MRTT capabilities

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

There were a couple possibilities. Either parts failure at the trunion, or high pressure on the boom for some reason putting strain on the trunion.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

There's no a lot going on flying to the AR point. Especially flying out of Australia, it would make a good MQ-4 backup, or addition, with the right sensors.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

We only have 5 at the moment with 2 more on order and i think they are considering the option for 2 more . So we dont have a lot of them . Small country with a small air-force so i guess we like to try and stretch things out .

In August 2014, Defence Minister David Johnston announced the intention to purchase two additional KC-30As with one in VIP configuration for transport of the Prime Minister.[20] A formal decision to add a "modest" VIP fitout to one of the KC-30s was made in 2016.[21]

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

When you're orbiting around waiting on receivers to show up, you can cover a lot of territory with a good ISR sensor.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There's no a lot going on flying to the AR point. Especially flying out of Australia, it would make a good MQ-4 backup, or addition, with the right sensors.

Sure but don't they already have the P-8 for that mission? It already has the provisions for a Mission crew of 7 plus is slated for SIGINT upgrades down the road.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Yes, but about when they're deployed somewhere, and the P-8s aren't there? The KC-30 is going to deploy with US forces, and there won't always be a P-8 or MQ-4 available to do a maritime mission.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Something I think some of you are missing here.

Australia is not like the US. In the US, fighters can refuel anywhere in the Continental US.

There are huge areas of Australia without military bases and if you need to use fighters to defend the country then you need these tankers.

The Australian Military are predominately concerned with the Defense of Australia.

If we are operating offensively, it is with the help of the US (as their bum buddies ...which is most unfortunate ).

One of the missions for these aircraft is to provide fuel in remote areas.

Australia is about 4k Km wide and much the same in length. Western Australia has some big open spaces to cover as does Central Australia. We need tankers ... but for a slightly different mission.

P

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You already have tankers, but ISR isn't needed for domestic operations. The only reason for ISR is for operations outside Australia. The same with C3. Their only use is for when the aircraft are deployed.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

If we are operating offensively, it is with the help of the US (as their bum buddies ...which is most unfortunate ).

There are basically five English speaking countries on earth and we need strong ties with all of them . Lets not forget how close one of our Muslim majority neighbours are , a country that has shown its distaste for Australia in the past .

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
From 2001

AUSTRALIAN F-111 jets were loaded with bombs ready to attack the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, during the landing of United Nations troops in East Timor, a New Zealand defence expert said last night. Warships were also placed on full battle alert, said David Dickens, director of the Centre for Strategic Studies at Victoria University, Wellington. He said the Australian-led Interfet force sent to East Timor in September 1999 faced "aggressive probing" from Indonesian aircraft and submarines and was ready to respond at any level.

If Australia was invaded the most common tactic put forward was to withdraw to the centre of the country and conduct guerrilla warfare with hit and run tactics.Off memory in a standard standup fight we wouldn,t be able to defend Christmas Island for two weeks.
Anyway no matter where they land the native fauna and flora would kill most of them off :-P

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Only basically 3 roads linking the north of Australia to the south . Just defend MT Isa , Port Headland and the Alice . Good luck to any trying to go overland .

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Yep my feelings exactly. And bare in mind that at least one of these is now going to be given an additional side role of VIP transport for the PM and senior delegations while traveling overseas. Which might explain why I have been observing them frequently traveling through KSA Sydney recently and often over-nighting here instead of at RAAF Richmond in the NW of the city. Beware of the lure of the all singing, all dancing bear.....
edit on 2-3-2017 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I'm not sure what Australian tankers are doing specifically, however my understanding is that they are heavily utilized.

- Integration with allied platforms, recently the USAF B-1B and F-35A, and the Royal Singapore Airforce (RSAF) F-16. I would expect integration with the Thai Air Force and Malaysian Air Force.
- The KC-30A has participated in Exercise Northern Shield, Exercise Arnhem Thunder, Exercise Bersama Lima and Operation OKRA.
- They have achieved over 20,000 hours (5 aircraft, introduced in 2011) and delivered greater than 36 million liters of fuel.
- VIP Transport.

The size of the fleet will increase to 9.
edit on 2/3/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/3/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join