It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berkshire Hathaway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
anyone familiar with this company name? you should be...they own;

geico
borsheim’s jewelry
benjamin moore
acme building brands
fruit of the loom
the buffalo news
dairy queen
and the pampered chef...to name a few.

in addition, they have significant holdings in;
american express
h&r block
the gillette company
the washington post
and wells fargo...to name a few.

all info taken from www.buffettsecrets.com...

i just thought it was odd that i've never heard of a company that owned, in whole or in part, all those well known companies.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

i just thought it was odd that i've never heard of a company that owned, in whole or in part, all those well known companies.

I don't find anything wrong in that.

Are you trying to say that this is a form of conspiracy or are you saying that this is odd?

Sur

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

I don't find anything wrong in that.

Are you trying to say that this is a form of conspiracy or are you saying that this is odd?

Sur

ha, i guess a little of both. i just stumbled across that site and just thought it was kind of odd that i've never heard of such a big company like that. i'd like to do a little more research into them to see what else i can find.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Keep doing your research. You'll find that alot of big companies are owned by even bigger umbrella corps.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Berkshire Hathaway is owned/run by Warren Buffet...business guru

Last I heard, 1 B share was something like $1,000, A shares run about $7,000 per.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Berkshire Hathaway is a holding company, kind of like a mutual fund. Nothing unusual here.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Class B shares cost 3004.00.

Class A shares which are the ones with uber-votes(ie 1 share = 10 votes). Cost around 90,400.00 a share.

ca.finance.yahoo.com...

ca.finance.yahoo.com...

Berkshire is a rather odd company as they do not issue any guidance whatso ever, and Warren Buffet profited HUGELY by staying out of the Tech Boom alltogether, in the 90s everyone though Buffet was crazy, now they think he is a genuis and a number of companies are going the rout of Berkshire Hathaway in the corporate governance policies as well as shareholder fairness policies, Google is one company that has been influenced in alot of ways by the way Berkie(sry Street Speak
) does business, they do not issue guidance, have a dual class structure similiar to Berkshire and has a strong core ownership concentrated between a couple of people. Now Berkshire's market cap is still pretty huge, not the biggest but one of them. 140 B market cap, with 64 Billion in revenue in 2003(ending in Dec).

Primary business is described as thus

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is a holding company that owns subsidiaries engaged in both primary insurance and reinsurance of property and casualty risks. The Company also reinsures life and health risks. In primary insurance activities, Berkshire subsidiaries assume defined portions of the risks of loss from persons or organizations that are directly subject to the risks. In reinsurance activities, Berkshire subsidiaries assume defined portions of similar or dissimilar risks that other insurers or reinsurers have subjected themselves to in their own insuring activities. Berkshire's principal insurance businesses are GEICO, General Re, Berkshire Hathaway Reinsurance Group and Berkshire Hathaway Primary Group. Through its other subsidiaries, Berkshire is engaged in a variety of non-insurance businesses, including operations in the apparel, building products, finance and financial products, flight services and retail industries.

From finance.yahoo.com...

[edit on 2-2-2005 by sardion2000]

top topics

join