It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can we test claims of paranormal abilities?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I read these boards every day and i see some people make some extraordinary claims. Claims that are obviously not accepted by the majority of the world. Certainly not accepted by any accredited scientific establishment. Still some of these folks vehemently hold on to their positions that they are sometimes psychic, or that sometimes they astral project. This idea of intermittent abilities leaves me with a gaping hole where research should exist.

For those who really do believe in their abilities, why don't you do as much as you can to prove that your powers exist?

If we are to embrace a healthy bit of skepticism, it means we should be testing these claims and not simply accepting them at face value. We should be pushing ourselves to explain how these abilities work and how we can test them.

So i would like to propose we test some of these claimed abilities. I would like for it to be a group effort where we can all discuss what would constitute a valid test. What standards need to be met, and how we go about performing them.

For instance, how do we, as a group, go about testing someone's psychic ability or ability to astral project?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
"those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand"

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Ghostbusters - "Venkman Admisters Electric Shock"

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
"those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand"

Let me know when to let it down...

Des

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Well where are all of these astral travelers and psychics?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I think we should set them on fire... If they have the abilities they claim they should be able to survive. See in to the future.... look at any event present or historical in real time.... move objects... immortal.... All should be able to find a way to survive... if they can't their ability is useless then anyways....

Let's set them on fire...

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

You can't test their claims unless they drop their take-it-or-leave-it attitude.
edit on 1 3 2017 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Theres been a number of tests in controlled ways that have had a wide range of results.
the amazing Randi of course has done his tests
on the counter to that, ASPR has done plenty of work that does show some interesting results.

"psychic" is a very broad catagory though..a bit like asking for feelings when you are wanting to prove say...humor.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I am familiar with Randi. I am a fan even. I just thought that with all of the self confessed special folks that write new threads every day, that one of them might like the chance to become world famous. I personally don't believe in most anything i hear, but i would be a pretty good judge of what constitues an ability or just coincidence. I keep being told i need to open my mind and then i will see. So... here i am, Mind wide open to the possibilities and no one shows up to the party.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

if psychic power is to be tested...a tester needs to have much experience in magic....how tricks are done....uri gellar was a fake, he was on the tonight show but didn;t know that the tonight show host johhny carson was adept at magic and knew what to look for

skepdic.com... for 20 years rnady associoation offered a million bucks if someone could prove they were psychic...only a few tried and failed.....no body else tried

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Do you think there is something there, something that resides completely in the spiritual? Something that can be felt such as strong emotions from others?

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I watch spirit science, That is proof enough for me.

jk.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

if psychic power is to be tested...a tester needs to have much experience in magic....how tricks are done....uri gellar was a fake, he was on the tonight show but didn;t know that the tonight show host johhny carson was adept at magic and knew what to look for

skepdic.com... for 20 years rnady associoation offered a million bucks if someone could prove they were psychic...only a few tried and failed.....no body else tried

Yes, knowing how to spot a fake is critical indeed.
I used to follow Randi but I found a few times he dismissed cases challenging his 1m$ status on technicalities after they were unable to explain. haven't read his stuff in..hell, well over a decade, but one case that stuck out to me was of this tribe that said a shaman could shout people into falling down or something..sent a guy over to check it out. he shouted, guy fell down, they dismissed it because it wasn't in the studio. Why bother with the test to begin with if you were gonna dismiss it on a tech.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Some of us do run scientific experiments to at least attempt to validate what causes phenomenon - I've been an astral projector since before I even knew what the term was, and only in my high school level did I actually start making attempts to prove what I was experiencing was real.

In the last study I did - I followed the scientific method to see if I could do a method that would allow me to experience projections on a more frequent basis. I spent a month of going to bed at the same time, each night. The first couple nights, I spent trying to see under what conditions I fell asleep the quickest (need to be "awake" for a projection to happen). The last couple weeks were my experiment. It worked in my case - I was able to reproduce an experience two nights in a row.

If you want some constraints to a test, here's my input:

1. Like any ability, only the person will know what works for them. Most people don't perform well strapped in a chair with electrodes on their brains. Let the person being tested at least be in their own environment.

2. Put some logic into the test - For example, the common test I see with telekinesis or psychokinesis is moving a "psiwheel" or pinwheel (aluminum wheel on a needle). Most people are doing the test with the wheel in the open. I'll tell you, my cat's fart can spin that thing from across the room. At the least, have a glass bowl covering it.

3. In regards to astral projection in particular - The most data that you would have access to (going with the skeptic's approach that it is all in your head), is heartbeat, brain activity, and pulse. You could attempt to do like they do for remote viewing (place random photo in envelope, give photo a random number, and hide the photo somewhere out of sight of the projector). I can already tell you it probably wouldn't yield the results you want though, as from my experiences the astral is "fluid".

On the side, another forum did attempt to create a place there known as "Astral Island" or something similar - Members who projected there would "create" something that could be used as validation by other people attempting.

And, as for why I don't try to prove to anyone that I can do what I say: When I have nailed down a method that works 100% of the time, you'll have your proof. Quite frankly, I pity the person that gets 100% proof and makes a big deal about it, as I can see governments around the world thinking "how can I use this to my advantage?". I don't have any desire to be someone's black ops lab rat; my software engineer position is all I need.

The reason it's spontaneous (to me) is simple: Some days, you are full of energy, and some days you just want to go to bed. For example, I do have a real-life ability: I only need to hear a piece of music twice, and I can play it on my trumpet without even seeing the music (audiographic memory + perfect pitch). 90% of the time, I can reproduce this to no end, but if I'm tired, weary, or exhausted, the gears start to slip, and I don't remember everything. So, going with the theory that psychic is a "skill" like playing a trumpet, there are days where you can do it if you're in the right mindset, but one change of mood will not let you reproduce.

-foss

PS: I'd say leave astral projection out of your attempted tests for now. Reason being: Just like Linux, there are too many different ideologies referring to projecting that no-one can quite agree on which theory is right (I follow Robert Monroe, seeing as he created the Monroe Institute...but the next guy might think Frank Kepple or Robert Bruce were right). Tests that should be easy are: any "kinesis" abilities, remote viewing, and even dream influence.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Circle
Square
Triangle

Which one did i choose?

Ill give you a hint.

Its neither of the two im thinking of now.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I personally never found it to be reliable enough to be able to prove it when put on the spot.
Being pressured kills it for me when I am feeling the "vibe" so to speak.

I've done it a few times on ATS when the mood was right, but even then,
some people just don't see what you did, even when you show it to them.
That always mystified me.

It's like they just stare into space blankly and go...nope nope nope....
or never respond at all.
Comfort zones and all that..
lol

*shrug*

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Funny I never see these psychic's winning the lotto,or the superhumans being a great sport's star,so I'm with you some do possess some extraordinary skills,but who is to say they didn't practice at it all their lives

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Funny I never see these psychic's winning the lotto,or the superhumans being a great sport's star,so I'm with you some do possess some extraordinary skills,but who is to say they didn't practice at it all their lives

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
any of those psychic abilities are in the nature of Gifts instead of Talents

I learned early on that Gifts of the Spirit were basically 'conditional' and not to be used in a profane manner or One might indeed lose the ability to access that particular Gift

now, a pragmatic & worldly person might call me out on that stance, saying or rather leaving the curious doubter in a quandary.......that's why there is whats called a "Doubting Thomas" in every crowd

re 'Bing'----->""A doubting Thomas is a skeptic who refuses to believe without direct personal experience""

I will agree to an extent that things we call Psychic most likely have a physics basis & explanation and are not truly woo-woo stuff
edit on nd31148846076802192017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

For instance, how do we, as a group, go about testing someone's psychic ability or ability to astral project?

"Science" generally doesn't look for one person to prove something, it looks for one person to create a methodology that allows anyone else to repeat the experiment and get measurable, consistent, and predictable results.

That becomes more difficult when everyone has their own special way of doing things with a variety of limitations that, rather conveniently one might say, often seem to frustrate the ability to actually study the claim.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join