It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Army and terrorist proxies begin offensives against US-backed Kurds in Northern Syria.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It seems that the Turkish Army and it's terrorist proxies have launched numerous attacks against US-backed Kurds in Northern Syria.

A little background

Turkish forces and their terrorist proxies, imaginatively named "Euphrates Shield" took the town of Al-Bab from Islamic State forces on the 23rd of February 2017.

Keen to prevent the Turks from advancing any further into Syria than they already have, In early feburary the Syrian Army launched it's own offensive against the Islamic State from the recently liberated city of Aleppo. They took numerous towns and villages from the Islamic State, and occupied the town of Tadif, which borders now Turkish-controlled Al-bab.

In addition they advanced through the countryside and linked up with the SDF. The Syrian Army has had an uneasy alliance with the SDF since about 2014. Most recently Kurds fought alongside Syrian forces in the liberation of Aleppo.

This meant that Turkey and her proxies no longer bordered any Islamic State positions, bordering only Syrian and Kurdish forces.

Not to be deterred by small inconvenient things like cooperation with your long-time allies, Erdogan's forces have reportedly launched numerous attacks on Kurdish positions.

Numerous things are coming out of twitter at the moment, both from Kurdish and Turkish-backed accounts. It's all emerged over today and in some cases, within the last hour.

Turkish-affiliates attack Kurdish positions at the town of Manbij

Unconfirmed reports of Turkish-affiliates advancing as far as the towns of Alvasi and Tal Turin, deep inside Kurdish held territory

The big news comes from the Kurdish-Turkish-Syrian border, where Turkish forces have undertaken a big push against the town of Al Amirah, a major Kurdish stronghold in Northern Syria

Turkish offensive takes the town of Tal Turin from Kurdish forces

Photos taken by Turkish-affiliated terrorists from Al-Turin following it's capture

Footage of clashes between SDF and Turkish-backed forces

Media affiliated with SDF & YPG confirms clashes betwen Turkish-backed forces and Kurds to the South of the city of Al Amirah

Turkish artillery firing on Kurdish positions

It seems like Erdogan's forces will continue their push further into Syria, even if it means drawing them into direct conflict with US-backed forces. They have yet to take any major action against the Syrian Government itself at the moment, but given these events it wouldn't surprise me if they picked a fight with them too, given the skirmishes between Turkey and Syria earlier in the conflict.

They're playing a very dangerous game imo.

This map shows you most of the current events in the conflict.

Note: It doesn't update in real time and needs to be refreshed.

South Front video about recent events in Syria, including the tensions in Northern Syria. It confirms using Turkish sources that Turkish and Turkish-affiliate terrorist groups are launching attacks against the Kurdish YPG, itself part of the US-backed SDF.

Edit: A map of recent offensives undertaken in Northwestern Syria

edit on -060003pm3kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

It seems like Erdogan's forces will continue their push further into Syria, even if it means drawing them into direct conflict with US-backed forces. They have yet to take any major action against the Syrian Government itself at the moment, but given these events it wouldn't surprise me if they picked a fight with them too, given the skirmishes between Turkey and Syria earlier in the conflict.
I think if you check you will find a story where Turkish forces did have some issues with the Syrian Army around the time of AlBab ...News had broke that Turkey had taken AlBab but there were other reports that showed that Turkey was still outside or just barley inside ...It seemed that the forces decided to go after the SA but it was short lived and then the SA focus went towards Palmyra and is now hooked up to Manbji

eta sorry I see you got the SFvid to embed and it does show it quite clearly that something has to break or happen ...its a coin toss for now .
edit on 1-3-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I think if you check you will find a story where Turkish forces did have some issues with the Syrian Army around the time of AlBab ...News had broke that Turkey had taken AlBab but there were other reports that showed that Turkey was still outside or just barley inside ...It seemed that the forces decided to go after the SA but it was short lived and then the SA focus went towards Palmyra and is now hooked up to Manbji

eta sorry I see you got the SFvid to embed and it does show it quite clearly that something has to break or happen ...its a coin toss for now .

I knew about the scuffle between Syria and the Turkish affiliates over Al-Bab, but it didn't seem particularly pertinent to the overall direction of the OP, so I decided not to include it.

Quick update:

Turkish affiliates have taken 2 Syrian hostages from a patrol at the frontline to the East of Al-Bab

Source

Looks like things might heat up between the Turks and Syrians in the coming days

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Looks like things might heat up between the Turks and Syrians in the coming days
We are seeing the quagmire come to a head .The way it stands at this moment is that ISIS is not the issue .Turkey occupying Syria is not enough ...The Kurds wont unite with Turkey and they are stuck in the middle .A all out war against the Kurds wont work ...Its going to get very bogged down ...Its looking more like a stalemate strategy designed by ....Putin and his guy's ...think Ukraine ...You don't have to win to not loose and it looks like that will be the way it goes for as long as it can ...

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I am going to throw this link into the mix .Moon of Alabama has followed it very close and is usually spot on . The comment section is pretty decent too .

Syria - Erdogan's Lost Bet - Trump Likely To Follow A Cautious Strategy The last Syria thread noted: South of Al-Bab the Syrian army is moving towards the Euphrates. It will cut off the Turkish forces path to Raqqa and Manbij. That move concluded. The Turkish invasion forces are now blocked from moving further south. They would have to fight the Syrian army and their Russian allies to move directly onto Raqqa. They would have to fight the Syrian-Kurdish YPG and its U.S. allies to move further east. For the first time since the start of the war the supply lines between Turkey and the Islamic State are cut off!
www.moonofalabama.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Just dropping off the latest SF YT clip focusing on Turkey from AlBab to where ever they may be headed .

edit on 2-3-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Syria is a wasteland now.

Americas Regime change is pointless. What in tarnation is worth anyone continuing conflict there. Syria doesn't produce anything the west don't have, and it's infrastructure has been knocked silly.

What am I missing?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The latest move according to SF has the Kurds putting or giving control to the Syrian Army of the area west of Manbij ..I can't see how Turkey cam go any further ...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The latest SF on the war ...Looks like Turkey is going to be blocked by the Syrian Army . Also there was some RT news that showed a US military convoy going to set up in Manbij

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Looks like a diplomatic military solution may be coming soon .

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Looks like Turky attacked Syrian positions west of Manbij ...The US has positions there too so I don't know what Turkey is up to

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Just dropping a link to MoA latest look at the situation . www.moonofalabama.org... With the US Russia on the scene in Manbij it stalls Turkeys plan to go to Raqqa .The Kurds were also asked to fly a Syrian flag and they agreed . A meeting took place between US Russia and Turkish military officials but its not known what they talked about .

top topics

join