It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney's first 'exclusively gay moment' hits screens in Beauty and the Beast

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Don't get me wrong! I think if you are gay, lesbian, trans...that is fine. I also think it is a shame that some people will stand in their way. But that is a fact of life. It would be nice if it weren't so...but it is. It will always be to some extent. The majority is accepted...the minority or fringe isn't.

You may be missing a limb as a parent and think it means nothing for your child to be missing a limb. Maybe it is even a character builder. But as a parent that loves your child, wants "THE BEST" for them...you don't wish them born without a limb.

but...the minority IS accepted, maybe once you realize that...you will come around?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

It's funny you acknowledge this but refuse to accept normalizing homosexuality among children so that the gay ones in turn wouldn't experience as many hardships. It's getting offended at movies like this that make your "facts" a reality. You are contributing to your own narrative. If you find your narrative a problem, then it reasons you'd want to help make it so people don't view homosexuality so negatively.
edit on 3-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

No parental rights are being infringed so it is pointless whining of of someone who wishes to deny the rights of other parents who have no problem with the movie.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Anyway...I agree with you. We aren't really so different. I'm just pointing out the truth about our society. The fantasy is that people are accepted for "who they are". The fact is they are brushed off for what they appear to be. Sure...there are wonderful Muslims...but that isn't the first impression when you are on a plane. Sure...a pitbull can be a wonderful dog...that isn't the first impression on the street.

Anyway...peace. Just being realistic.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Anyway...I agree with you. We aren't really so different. I'm just pointing out the truth about our society. The fantasy is that people are accepted for "who they are". The fact is they are brushed off for what they appear to be. Sure...there are wonderful Muslims...but that isn't the first impression when you are on a plane. Sure...a pitbull can be a wonderful dog...that isn't the first impression on the street.

it seems like your problem is that you care too much about what other people think about you or your children.

Happiness should come from within...not from what others think about you. You will never make everyone happy.

Please follow your heart...i know you have a good one...not what you think are societal demands.

Society and America as a whole are coming around to progression...you points of conversation helps evil to win.

edit on 3-3-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

No #. The point of putting a gay character in a movie like this is to help dispel biases like those.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's funny you acknowledge this but refuse to accept normalizing homosexuality among children so that the gay ones in turn wouldn't experience as many hardships. It's getting offended at movies like this that make your "facts" a reality. You are contributing to your own narrative. If you find your narrative a problem, then it reasons you'd want to help make it so people don't view homosexuality so negatively.

I have no problem with homosexuality in itself. Really...none. But, assume I have a 1 year old child. I have a lot to teach them and they have a lot to learn. Homosexuality is probably 10,000 on that list. There is language, morals, safety, etc. I expect children's movies to teach or expose children to such things...the important things. To throw in homosexuality as number 1000 instead of 10,000 is pushing a narrative upon them...not teaching them the "important" things. When you push one topic that is minor over those that are major...you are bigoted and trying to push an agenda.

Yes...children need to learn about all these things. Learn...not be instructed. And they can't learn until they understand and are old enough to understand. Otherwise...it is brainwashing an agenda.

In short...homosexuality has no place in young, children's movies. In my personal opinion.

Clear enough?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

No #. The point of putting a gay character in a movie like this is to help dispel biases like those.

No...the purpose is to force it unto the young before they are capable of deciding for themselves.

link   

Really??? OK...I challenge you. Here we go...

1. White male child, straight.
2. White male child, gay (and obviously either by choice or action).

You claim that both have the same challenges and chances for success, etc. I claim that there will be people they meet...maybe even employers, etc. that will discount them for being gay. Do you deny that happens?

I am sure it does happen. But let's take it a step farther.

Business A hires the best people for the job, white, black, gay, evil Mason, etc.

Business B don't hire no gays, not ever! Even if they knows their stuff, no gays here.

The retard running Business B will most likely run their business into the ground as good business practices almost always give you a market advantage,

I was Business Owner A and now I am Director of Sales A who hires the best people for the job because who they bone is so far down the list of things I consider it is not even on the list.

link   

You don't need to teach them what homosexuality is. You just present it as a part of life and the kid just grows up being ok with it. It's really just that simple. The scene in question in this movie is a throwaway scene apparently. It's not in your face or a major part of the story. It's just there.

In short...homosexuality has no place in young, children's movies. In my personal opinion.

This is why your words about accepting homosexuality ring hollow. You don't care about dispelling the biases and are more than happy letting them propagate.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't really follow you...but...I am a business owner. I hire the best person for the job regardless. I wouldn't hire a flaming gay man to sell steel to a bunch of rednecks though. I think turning away business to anyone is stupid and not hiring the best person for the job is stupid.

What is your point?

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

No...the purpose is to force it unto the young before they are capable of deciding for themselves.

Decide what? What is there to "decide" about homosexuality? You either know it exists or you don't.

It's adults who put all these extra caveats onto it. Kids don't give a # if you like boys or girls. They may care when they become teenagers and everything is a social contest, but while children two boys kissing is just like a boy and a girl kissing to them.

PS: Japan's yaoi and yuri manga scene prove that kids can handle homosexuality just fine, and even embrace it.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You don't need to teach them what homosexuality is. You just present it as a part of life and the kid just grows up being ok with it. It's really just that simple. The scene in question in this movie is a throwaway scene apparently. It's not in your face or a major part of the story. It's just there.

This is why your words about accepting homosexuality ring hollow. You don't care about dispelling the biases and are more than happy letting them propagate.

You are missing (maybe purposely) the point. Homosexuality is far down on my list of what is important to teach a child. There are more important lessons at that young age. YOU or whomever adds this to children's movies is escalating it's importance. It isn't that important...there are more important lessons. They will learn this eventually.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

And you are missing my point. This isn't about teaching a kid anything. It's just about showing him that gay people exist and they aren't all evil. It's a simple message that you are making a WAAAAAY bigger deal out of.

link   

What important lessons are being taught in Beauty and the Beast?

link   

I don't really follow you...

The point is there are more people like me (Business Owner A) who will hire the best people versus the mamalukes in the second category who are afraid of the gay.

I hire the best person for the job regardless. I wouldn't hire a flaming gay man to sell steel to a bunch of rednecks though.

That is a contradiction.

What if Mr. Flaming Gay Man has a metallurgy degree from an accredited school and demonstrated sales success and the other candidate is Bubba Jim, some random dude, who wants to sell steel because he's a redneck too?

link   

Decide what? What is there to "decide" about homosexuality? You either know it exists or you don't.

It's adults who put all these extra caveats onto it. Kids don't give a # if you like boys or girls. They may care when they become teenagers and everything is a social contest, but while children two boys kissing is just like a boy and a girl kissing to them.

Not quite. You either approve of it or not. THAT is a choice. Personally...I don't approve or disapprove. It isn't my concern. It is that unimportant and therefore, not something important to teach a child at that age. There are many, many more important things. It isn't important...it doesn't need to be escalated to that level of importance.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You are missing (maybe purposely) the point. Homosexuality is far down on my list of what is important to teach a child. There are more important lessons at that young age. YOU or whomever adds this to children's movies is escalating it's importance. It isn't that important...there are more important lessons. They will learn this eventually.

its not that its just "far down on your list" to teach, it is that you are purposely leaving it out bc you think knowing about it might make them gay...and therefor at a disadvantage.

We can see right thru you.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don't really follow you...

The point is there are more people like me (Business Owner A) who will hire the best people versus the mamalukes in the second category who are afraid of the gay.

I hire the best person for the job regardless. I wouldn't hire a flaming gay man to sell steel to a bunch of rednecks though.

That is a contradiction.

What if Mr. Flaming Gay Man has a metallurgy degree from an accredited school and demonstrated sales success and the other candidate is Bubba Jim, some random dude, who wants to sell steel because he's a redneck too?

If you think that is a contradiction...you aren't a business owner. Yes...you hire the best. But you also (for example) hire sales people who can interact best with your clients. You don't send a stoner salesman out to sell something to people who don't typically like stoners...for example.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

If you think that is a contradiction...you aren't a business owner.

I was a very successful one for 13 years.

You didn't answer my question. Who gets the job?

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join