It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nvidia Reveal GTX 1080 Ti, Faster than Titan X at Half the Cost

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yesterday team Green finally revealed the card that has been rumoured for a few months now and given the specs it's a Beast !
Nvidia has said the GTX 1080 Ti will cost $699.00 with the Founders edition releasing next week at retail price not the usual extra cost early adopter premium , on paper the 1080 Ti will beat the Titan X and cost half the price doing it.

The card comes with 11 GB of GDDR5X memory running at 11Gbps , the GPU has 12bn Transistors and 3584 CUDA cores and the card has a TDP of 250w.

On the plus side for those like myself who are looking for a new card but can't afford a 1080 Ti is Nvidia have knocked $100 of the price of the standard 1080 so that 1060 I hade my eye on my become a 1080 , although I want the 1080Ti .... it's a Beast

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Hmm, I might be down to move my 1070 seahawk to my work PC and go with the 1080 ti for the home VR system. Provided they offer a AIO cooled option like the seahawk.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

The temptation for me would be to get one in a few months and then SLI it when the prices drop further down the line.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Too Rich for my blood.

The 1080 Ti was a given.

Nvidia has been releasing the TI version after what seems like forever now.

edit on 1-3-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

i have the standard 1080, run windows 10, 16g of ram, had to shut off xboxlive to game. every time i update windows 10 gameing goes to # again and i have to rollback before the 1067 update. if anyone knows a way to fix this please let me know.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: luke1212
I'm still running Win7 so I don;t know Win 10 but I've had a look and found it's a known problem with the XBox app , try this.
Xbox app -> Settings -> Game DVR -> Record Games (Turn it off)

Hope it helps.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm still rocking a 750ti

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

i did that the first time, then again second time it was kicked on by a game i downloaded. then 3rd time after update set new registry values. xbox live can not turn back on now. but there still is a problem after updates. sometimes have to remove some updates to get it working again

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The temptation for me would be to get one in a few months and then SLI it when the prices drop further down the line.

I've never had a dual card setup, seems everytime I hear something good then all the bugs and issues start popping up. I like the simplicity of a single card.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212

i did that the first time, then again second time it was kicked on by a game i downloaded. then 3rd time after update set new registry values. xbox live can not turn back on now. but there still is a problem after updates. sometimes have to remove some updates to get it working again

Do you use the xbox live app on the pc? I uninstalled that from my machine.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Is there anything in existence that requires 22Gb gpu? I thought one sounded like overkill.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

Is there anything in existence that requires 22Gb gpu? I thought one sounded like overkill.

3d modeling.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

As far as I'm aware SLI would still be 11GB , memory doesn't double up.

I believe in the more is better philosophy.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I guess they got tired of waiting for AMD to release Vega. The past few times they've released a x80 Ti it's been AFTER the release of AMD's flagship GPU, just to rain on their parade.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I believe in the more is better philosophy.

Today's high end is tomorrows minimum requirements.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I ended up w a 1070.

but

more power ist krieg.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Sometimes I wonder: are they slowly improving their craft, or are they trying to milk us/their product for all they can?

It's like they've gone the way of the automotive industry.

I mean, not to be negative or anything, it's a cool product, but they had to have had this thing in the workings long before last years release. Are we expected to believe that every 6 months, on cue, their engineering team has a eureka moment?

I think more than likely it goes something like this: "Alright boys, good job, but let's find a way we can stretch this out for years to come." And they're all probably gaming with quantum gpus.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep

Sometimes I wonder: are they slowly improving their craft, or are they trying to milk us/their product for all they can?

It's like they've gone the way of the automotive industry.

I mean, not to be negative or anything, it's a cool product, but they had to have had this thing in the workings long before last years release. Are we expected to believe that every 6 months, on cue, their engineering team has a eureka moment?

I think more than likely it goes something like this: "Alright boys, good job, but let's find a way we can stretch this out for years to come." And they're all probably gaming with quantum gpus.

Not really. They come up with an architecture that works better than what they used before. Then they improve on that architecture. They make tweaks, make it run faster, make it more power efficient, try a smaller manufacturing process. They usually push that architecture to its absolute limit, but in the meantime their research and development is working hard on the next architecture. The architectures can spend years in development trying to improve on the last architectures weak points, get more processing power into a smaller, more power efficient die. Once they develop a new architecture, then it starts over again with more or less minor refinements to improve what they already have working.
edit on 1-3-2017 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Thought about that too, but SLI is not an option moving forward with NVIDIA.

Be careful, lots of the boxes are still marked SLI CAPABLE even though they aren't.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

So you think the mindset / work ethic is more like "make an improvement we can sell"? And they somehow do every 3 to 6 months?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeh... maybe, but it's doubtful.

You know what just occurred to me: New smells like everything you've ever wanted, and they know it - they know how intoxicating the aroma is. Really, they're not even selling technology - they're selling something new - that's their business model. I don't know why I didn't see it before.

I sucked all the fun out of it, didn't I? I'm sorry.

edit on 3/1/2017 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join